Sponsored

Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles?

ScenicRoute

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Beer Finisher
yeah....its out east too, but there are some great rock climbs. I am originally from west ky (LBL area). Its fun, its home, but damn...the mud.

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
Let me tell you something, I absolutely LOVE doing the jeep wave. I look forward to it so much, and it's one of my favorite things about the jeep community. however, absolutely nothing hurts me more than seeing the top of a jeep, getting excited and getting ready to wave, and i get closer and i see the god awful abomination of an angry birds grill. Every time this happens, I die a little inside.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
yeah....its out east too, but there are some great rock climbs. I am originally from west ky (LBL area). Its fun, its home, but damn...the mud.
Iā€™m down for some mix of those terrains though.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I love my angry grille. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. People say my Jeep matches my personality, and I think thatā€™s awesome to have a vehicle like me. Why the hate for these grilles?
No disrespect to you, or anyone here, but why the hell do you care what us bunch of yahoos think of your Jeep?

If anyone is making sweeping generalizations about me because of one thing I did to my Jeep to anyone but themselves, then screw them.

I donā€™t like them. Does that make you change your mind about installing one?

Donā€™t take yourself too seriously, I donā€™t.šŸ˜œ

Sponsored

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Hmmmm . . . I homed in on "it matches my personality". Maybe some happy time would help???

But . . . . . . . if you love it, it's your Jeep.

G.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Surprised it hasn't been said so I'll add what my take is from discussing such things with my local jeep group.
The "iconic" grill that has been mentioned is the root of it... but it is more about the mall crawler thing. There is a hate or distaste for mall crawlers in the jeep community among the serious offroaders. And the angry grill signifies the mall crawler and Fab Fours jeeps where people do modifications to their jeep just in order to do mods; the mods don't improve the function and often actually hurt performance. This is where the hate come from, it is a distaste for different goals.

In short it is an attitude that plagues the jeep community where the guys who do harder offroading look down upon those who don't. The wrangler wouldn't be around if it was only the hardcore guys who bought jeeps, let alone the excellent aftermarket. The mall crawlers and casual offroaders buy the wrangler because it is a cool vehicle and they may want to feel good about what their purchase says about them or want to do harder stuff (even if they don't do it). But the percentage of jeep owners who actually need the wranglers capabilities for what they put their jeep through is a lot smaller than the people who buy them because they're cool and could do what they do with a vehicle that is a lot nicer to drive on pavement and better built (like a 4runner). But I'm glad so many people like wranglers because it makes it what it is.

I personally don't have a problem with mall crawlers, but it is not a look I like. And as hard as I try, I cannot help but look down on those jeeps and owners. I try to not to, but I can't help it. My interest in getting to know or wheel with that owner is not that of one that looks purposefully built. It doesn't mean I wouldn't be friendly or friends with them. But if there was a group of people where I didn't know many of them, my priorities in making sure I connected with people would be on the jeep owners who look like they go offroading.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the above. The grill is iconic and the angry face on it looks childish to me.

But if you look at automotive design headlights in general have been getting more aggressive in the last decade or so, so it isn't that surprising. The new Defender basically comes with angry eyes stock.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? om

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? 1623178876150

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? sc_om

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
I donā€™t hate. I just feel really sorry for the people who have them.
Like damn, they donā€™t even realize their condition. But at least they always seem happy.
Almost makes me want to start a charity organization for them or maybe start a big brother program on their behalf? Not sure, still thinking of my plansā€¦ā€¦..

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
While I wouldn't put them on my Jeep, I don't hate the aftermarket grills that people put on their Jeeps. Or the huge light bars. Or 20"+ rims, decals, wraps, accent pieces, etc.

A lot of people focus on the cosmetic side of building their Jeep. More power to 'em. Have fun with it. It's your Jeep. Build it the way you want. Ignore the haters.

I'll go build my Jeep mostly with function over form in mind. If I happen to notice your Jeep in time, I may even remember to wave.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the above. The grill is iconic and the angry face on it looks childish to me.

But if you look at automotive design headlights in general have been getting more aggressive in the last decade or so, so it isn't that surprising. The new Defender basically comes with angry eyes stock.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? 1EFFBF95-C7D9-4D78-B732-EF893A004CAB
If you were from England, you wouldn't have a happy look on your face either.
Sponsored