Lessons learned - setting up a JL as a TOAD - long read

RKissane

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUW
There are all the wiring diagrams for the JL's on the electronics area of the forum. I printed out the wiring diagram for the brake system and discovered that there's 3 wires in the brake system. Not as simple as the JK with it's single wire. I asked a question on the electronics section and learned that the brake switch on the JL is tied into the anti-lock brake system as it senses the amount of force applied to the pedal. Cutting one of those wires to install the relay would have been very bad - if you don't get anything else out of this post, don't cut the wires to the brake switch.

I did more research as I wanted to know how I could avoid having the JL's brake lights override the turn signal from the RV with the wiring harness I added. I learned (from etrailer.com and other members here) that the lights on the JL turn off after a few minutes and are not an issue. That was good to know, so that means no relay needed.

Any questions, fire away.
Can you explain a little more detail about the JL lights turning off after a few minutes and how this helps with the brake lights.

I am looking at a similar setup as yours. As I understand when the RV turns signal are on and you step on the brakes the turn signals get over overridden on the Wrangler. How come no relay is needed?

Thanks
Ray
Sponsored

OP
OP
Captain Skip

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Can you explain a little more detail about the JL lights turning off after a few minutes and how this helps with the brake lights.

I am looking at a similar setup as yours. As I understand when the RV turns signal are on and you step on the brakes the turn signals get over overridden on the Wrangler. How come no relay is needed?

Thanks
Ray
On my JK I had to isolate the brake light feed from the Jeep to the taillights/brake lights so they didn't override the RV light signal. I was looking to do the same thing on the JL and when I looked at the wiring diagram I discovered that there's 3 wires going into the brake switch, not 1 like on the JK and they are all tied into the computer. After a lot of searching I found out here and also at Etrailer that there is a timer on the electrical system for the JL. If you shut your JL off and don't open the driver's door, wait about 5 minutes and step on the brake pedal. The lights won't light up. I've tried this several times and it works every time so there's no need to isolate the JL's lights from the RV lights like the JK as there is no signal coming down the wire from the JL's system when the brake pedal is applied. I used the Curt Plug & Play wiring harness that goes in between the JL light female plug and the JL light male plug. The wiring harness then goes to the front end and is plugged into the RV trailer light socket. Because there is no signal (after about 5 minutes) coming from the JL there's nothing to worry about. There are a couple wiring harness kits that you have to cut and splice wires. I didn't want to do that, that's why I bought the Curt harness - (bought it from Amazon) https://www.curtmfg.com/part/58964 After I got everything connected I took the JL for a ride (tow?) and everything worked perfectly. It takes a few minutes to hook everything up behind the motorhome so it's enough for the timer to activate. Take a look at this thread, this is where I discovered about the lights timing out. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...plain-this-wiring-diagram-to-me-please.60091/

RKissane

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUW
On my JK I had to isolate the brake light feed from the Jeep to the taillights/brake lights so they didn't override the RV light signal. I was looking to do the same thing on the JL and when I looked at the wiring diagram I discovered that there's 3 wires going into the brake switch, not 1 like on the JK and they are all tied into the computer. After a lot of searching I found out here and also at Etrailer that there is a timer on the electrical system for the JL. If you shut your JL off and don't open the driver's door, wait about 5 minutes and step on the brake pedal. The lights won't light up. I've tried this several times and it works every time so there's no need to isolate the JL's lights from the RV lights like the JK as there is no signal coming down the wire from the JL's system when the brake pedal is applied. I used the Curt Plug & Play wiring harness that goes in between the JL light female plug and the JL light male plug. The wiring harness then goes to the front end and is plugged into the RV trailer light socket. Because there is no signal (after about 5 minutes) coming from the JL there's nothing to worry about. There are a couple wiring harness kits that you have to cut and splice wires. I didn't want to do that, that's why I bought the Curt harness - (bought it from Amazon) https://www.curtmfg.com/part/58964 After I got everything connected I took the JL for a ride (tow?) and everything worked perfectly. It takes a few minutes to hook everything up behind the motorhome so it's enough for the timer to activate. Take a look at this thread, this is where I discovered about the lights timing out. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...plain-this-wiring-diagram-to-me-please.60091/
Thanks for the quick reply. Will take a look at the thread.

Ray

ktfjammer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangle Sahara Unlimited
Was wondering if there is an installation video for the JL. I see there is the one for the JK. I have a 2018 Wrangle Unlimited Sahara.

ktfjammer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Captain Skip

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Sorry for all the questions. I have a blue ox tow bar. So will it directly hook up to the RockJock base plate?
Yes it should. I have Blue Ox clevis connectors at the end of my Readybrute tow bar arms.

OP
OP
Captain Skip

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Was wondering if there is an installation video for the JL. I see there is the one for the JK. I have a 2018 Wrangle Unlimited Sahara.
I should have done a video when I installed it but didn’t think of it until after I installed everything.

ktfjammer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Hi Captain. Hope all is well.
Sorry again for all the question. Just ordered the rockjock. Looks awesome. I have worked on cars most of my life, but I don't do electrical (specially on the new cars). I just want a plug and play harness without the fuss. Is that what you installed? I have a 2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited. I have OCD like yourself and want to make sure it is right and I don't have any issues. I have not clue on the other wires that you attached. Thank you again for all the help.

OP
OP
Captain Skip

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Hi Captain. Hope all is well.
Sorry again for all the question. Just ordered the rockjock. Looks awesome. I have worked on cars most of my life, but I don't do electrical (specially on the new cars). I just want a plug and play harness without the fuss. Is that what you installed? I have a 2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited. I have OCD like yourself and want to make sure it is right and I don't have any issues. I have not clue on the other wires that you attached. Thank you again for all the help.
Yes, that’s exactly what I did. I didn’t want to start cutting wires so I bought the Curt harness I listed. Unplug the rear lights and plug in the harness. Run the wires to the front for the RV hookup.

ktfjammer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that’s exactly what I did. I didn’t want to start cutting wires so I bought the Curt harness I listed. Unplug the rear lights and plug in the harness. Run the wires to the front for the RV hookup.
Thank you again so much. What about the stop relay switch? Is that what keeps the turn signal on when you apply the brake. I guess I better read over your post. I am not car electrical savvy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Captain Skip

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Thank you again so much. What about the stop relay switch? Is that what keeps the turn signal on when you apply the brake. I guess I better read over your post. I am not car electrical savvy.
It actually pulls the signal from the brake/turn lights on the RV. On my 2015 JK I had to add an additional electrical adapter so the signal lights would work. On the JL after a couple minutes the electrical system on the JL shuts down so there’s no interference.

ktfjammer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Captain Skip,

So I purchased the Curt harness 58964 that you installed on your JL. I installed it today along with the tow harness 58920 that Curt has a plug built into on the 58964 (it is a plug and play system). Anyway I tested all the lights on the trailer plug (have not finished the 6way switch on the 58964 yet). When I tested the trailer lights only the blinkers worked, both brakes and 4ways would not work. Have you had any experience with that tow harness? Any similar problems? I sent a message to Curt Manufacturing but have not heard anything yet.

Additionally I plan to do something similar to your motorhome dashboard light with the third brake light, plus install a small LED light behind the rear view mirror on the Jeep that will come on through the Ready Brute tow bar wiring that is built into the hitch. That way I’ll see the dash light on the RV, and at the same time be able to see when the brakes are engaged through the tow bar by looking through the rear camera. (Just as a double check).

I did install the Currie (Rock Jock) base plate to use with the NSA Ready Brute Tow Bar system, and break away. (Although in a hurry cut into the cable behind the brake pedal and have a replacement ordered). I’m hoping to get this wrapped up by late this week if everything arrives in time. Thanks for your time.
Hey Fred, So you didn't use your blue ox tow bar that you already had?
Thank you

ktfjammer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best price I could find on it was Jegs auto parts: https://www.jegs.com/i/RockJock/804/CE-9033JLP/10002/-1

Unless you have something hanging off the front bumper for the diesel it shouldn't be a problem. Installation was very easy. Unbolt the bumper, trim some of the metal on the back side of the bumper (took be about a minute with an angle grinder), bolt the towplate to the bumper and reinstall the bumper. There's 4 additional bolts that ties the towplate to the frame horns right behind the bumper. Compare this photo to what Blue Ox or Roadmaster is offering and it will give you a better idea. I think with those brands you can trim the plastic skid plate and put it back up, I personally like the look of the Rockjock as it looks like something meant for off road. I just took the first photo for you, sorry for the quality but it will give you an idea how far the attachment points stick out. The Blue Ox clevis attachments at the end of the towbar fit the Rockjock with no problem. You can probably also use it for recovery points if you get stuck off road. If you're standing looking straight down on the bumper the end of the points are flush with the front of the bumper. The little silver loop you see in the first photo at the top of the towplate center is the brake cable for the Readybrute towbar.
jose2.jpg
jose.jpeg
In the first picture I see you have the brake cable go through the Rockjock. Did you drill a hole? It looks like you put some kind of space that is angled. Do you have any pictures where you installed the emergency breakaway switch?
Thank you

OP
OP
Captain Skip

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
In the first picture I see you have the brake cable go through the Rockjock. Did you drill a hole? It looks like you put some kind of space that is angled. Do you have any pictures where you installed the emergency breakaway switch?
Thank you
Yes, I drilled a hole for the brake cable and a bigger one for the electrical plug. I got a long nylon spacer at Lowe’s that I cut in half at about a 50 degree angle. The spacer guides the brake cable through the tow plate parallel with the ground. I attached the breakaway bracket on the outside of the front left frame horn just behind the bumper.

ktfjammer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Captain Skip,

So I purchased the Curt harness 58964 that you installed on your JL. I installed it today along with the tow harness 58920 that Curt has a plug built into on the 58964 (it is a plug and play system). Anyway I tested all the lights on the trailer plug (have not finished the 6way switch on the 58964 yet). When I tested the trailer lights only the blinkers worked, both brakes and 4ways would not work. Have you had any experience with that tow harness? Any similar problems? I sent a message to Curt Manufacturing but have not heard anything yet.

Additionally I plan to do something similar to your motorhome dashboard light with the third brake light, plus install a small LED light behind the rear view mirror on the Jeep that will come on through the Ready Brute tow bar wiring that is built into the hitch. That way I’ll see the dash light on the RV, and at the same time be able to see when the brakes are engaged through the tow bar by looking through the rear camera. (Just as a double check).

I did install the Currie (Rock Jock) base plate to use with the NSA Ready Brute Tow Bar system, and break away. (Although in a hurry cut into the cable behind the brake pedal and have a replacement ordered). I’m hoping to get this wrapped up by late this week if everything arrives in time. Thanks for your time.
I've been reading both yours and the Captains thread. Very informative. I was wondering why you decided to forgo using the blue ox tow bar and go with the brute tow bar system.
I looked at the Brute tow bar system and it comes with the dash monitoring system. Why is it that you bought the stop light switch? I think I am leaning on for sure going with the braking system. I also already have the blue ox tow system and not sure if I want to keep it or go with the Brute system.

Thank you, Jim
Sponsored