DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my 2.0T, I budgeted in having the carbon buildup cleaned every 65K or so. I know it’s more expensive, and I know I am taking a chance, but it is just so much more fun and capable, for my applications.

With that said, I bought my wife a 2020 Sahara with the 3.6. I love it too, but a few fractions less than my 2018 2.0T.
You may not have to do it, depending on the design of the engine and your driving habits. We haven't had to do it to our Ecoboost. But we drive the hell out of it without many cold starts.

I also wonder if the new SN+ and SP oils take care of the buildup, too, or at least help with it. I've been running Mobil 1 EP 5w30 for 10,000 miles per oil change in the Ecoboost and it is doing very well. I obviously can't see the valves, but it runs strong as ever and sounds great. It has about 60k on the second engine. The first engine was destroyed due to an error by a kid who changed the oil at a local oil change place. Cost their insurance company about $12 grand. OUCH! But that Ecoboost had 80k and was perfect until the screw up. Same deal, 10k changes on Mobil 1 EP. Our Ecoboost(s) are gen 1, so they are supposedly vulnerable to the valve deposit build up. Time will tell.

So if you budgeted it and it doesn't need it, you've got more money for Jeep mods! Lol!
Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
You may not have to do it, depending on the design of the engine and your driving habits. We haven't had to do it to our Ecoboost. But we drive the hell out of it without many cold starts.

I also wonder if the new SN+ and SP oils take care of the buildup, too, or at least help with it. I've been running Mobil 1 EP 5w30 for 10,000 miles per oil change in the Ecoboost and it is doing very well. I obviously can't see the valves, but it runs strong as ever and sounds great. It has about 60k on the second engine. The first engine was destroyed due to an error by a kid who changed the oil at a local oil change place. Cost their insurance company about $12 grand. OUCH! But that Ecoboost had 80k and was perfect until the screw up. Same deal, 10k changes on Mobil 1 EP. Our Ecoboost(s) are gen 1, so they are supposedly vulnerable to the valve deposit build up. Time will tell.

So if you budgeted it and it doesn't need it, you've got more money for Jeep mods! Lol!
That was the point of SN+ and SP re-formulations/specs - prevent carbon build-up on intake valves for DI motors.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That was the point of SN+ and SP re-formulations/specs - prevent carbon build-up on intake valves for DI motors.
Sort of. They were designed to prevent carbon buildup Inside the combustion chamber that causes LSPI. But the jury is out on what they do with buildup on the valves. I'm hopeful they help, and that's really what I was referring to.

Valvoline claimed their Modern Engine oil did just that, but it is hard to say what they put in it to do that. The suspected additives don't necessarily show up in the virgin oil analysis, where it looks similar to other competitive oils.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
So It is still very much a Pentastar and Jeep themselves viewed it as the safest bet.
While I don't disagree that the 3.6 was the safe choice for the US, I wonder what their backup plan was for the rest of the world if the 2.0 was a flop. In most (all?) other countries the 3.6 isn't available, and even if it was the displacement taxes have a huge impact on vehicle price. I'd be willing to bet that this was a main consideration for offering the 2.0.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Sort of. They were designed to prevent carbon buildup Inside the combustion chamber that causes LSPI. But the jury is out on what they do with buildup on the valves. I'm hopeful they help, and that's really what I was referring to.

Valvoline claimed their Modern Engine oil did just that, but it is hard to say what they put in it to do that. The suspected additives don't necessarily show up in the virgin oil analysis, where it looks similar to other competitive oils.
I just switched from mobil 1 5/30 full synthetic, because it does have sn+ but not ms13340. I chose Pennzoil platinum 5/30 full synthetic, due to it having both certifications and its natural gas vs crude oil base. I also only burn 93 octane from mobil stations. Less contaminants should equal less deposit buildup.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
While I don't disagree that the 3.6 was the safe choice for the US, I wonder what their backup plan was for the rest of the world if the 2.0 was a flop. In most (all?) other countries the 3.6 isn't available, and even if it was the displacement taxes have a huge impact on vehicle price. I'd be willing to bet that this was a main consideration for offering the 2.0.
Diesel, I believe, and not the Ecodiesel. Plus, their volume is low overseas. Nothing like N America.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks for the info, Dan; I sure hope you are right!

Exactly how do driving habits affect the carbon buildup? I want to ensure I’m making all the right moves.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info, Dan; I sure hope you are right!

Exactly how do driving habits affect the carbon buildup? I want to ensure I’m making all the right moves.
Not 100% sure, but I believe running an engine hard reduces carbon build up. Also, I think short trips where the engine doesn't get to full operating temperature can contribute. Finally, I only run Top Tier certified fuel, mainly Shell. The only carbon issue I've ever had was in my 3.8 and a couple Italian tune-ups and some Shell V-Power alwasy cleared it up. Nowadays, I think Shell's improved fuel formula even in 87 octane combined with SN+ or SP oil keeps it from building up in the first place.

DV8

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry JLUR Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Just picked up a 2021 with the eco diesel. It definitely surprised me with the pickup it has when you need it and the mpg I'm at 23 miles to the gallon in town.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Most of the EU doesn't allow large displacement engines. That's why EVERYONE makes a 2.0t. So really, the only reason the 3.6 exists is because Merica!

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Most of the EU doesn't allow large displacement engines. That's why EVERYONE makes a 2.0t. So really, the only reason the 3.6 exists is because Merica!
I haven't seen any European countries completely banning anything over 2 liters, just taxing them in a way that highly discourages their production.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i went 3.6 because i was sort of on a budget didnt want to pay for the turbo or the auto lol. Now in hind sight i wish i had gone auto. Hopefully if/when i decide to go with the tune for it, and it gets rid of the stumbling, and stupid spark knock when its hot i will be much happier. Upgrade the gearing so it can actuallly get up and down the hills in Virginia and i will be most happy :)
other then this i really like my jeep.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Have a 2.0 in a JLUR which has been great. It has only seen premium fuel one time. I have no issues using 87. I also own a 3.6 but it is in a Durango. Great for what we use the Durango for but the 2.0 has much more response. The turbo will rock you if you put your foot into it.
Sponsored