Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to hear that. However, you illustrate nicely a real world situation. There's no way you could ignore that up to the point that the pressure plate failed. You lost momentum and had a horrible smell, very noticeable symptoms.
More, more gas! More throttle! Downshift for more power! :angry:
Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
New member here. Iā€™ve just had this clutch failure 2 days ago on my 2018 JLU Sport with 15k miles. I was driving on the freeway to a trail in Arizona and the rpms started to blip. I started to loose power when trying to accelerate and then I started to smell that burnt clutch smell as white smoke came from underneath my Jeep. I immediately pulled over and noticed my clutch pedal was about halfway down and didnā€™t return to its normal position. After that i crawled under my Jeep to find black chared residue between my tranny and engine. I pulled the rubber plugs out and they were coated in black residue. I had to rent a uhaul truck and trailer to tow it back home. Waiting on the dealership ā€œspecializedā€ techs to look it over. Definitely seemed like more than just the clutch going out.
Sorry to hear this.

Did you happen to have the first clutch recall done?

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Just to add another data point to this discussion- 18 JLUS here, manufactured very early in the JL run. 33" tires and stock 3.45 gears. Just rolled 80k miles, about 90% highway and 10% very hard use in mud on farm or at the beach. Driven manual transmission vehicles (trucks) my whole life and while the JL trans/clutch is different, I've had no issues whatsoever with it yet. No slipping, no chatter. I do miss the feel of a toploader, and lower differential gears would be beneficial. So far, I've ignored the recall notices and will not allow the dealership to monkey around with it unless I start to notice a problem.

Overall I'm very pleased with the JL (last Jeep I had was a YJ) other than the poor quality batteries and issues with corrosion around the hood and door hinges.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
New member here. Iā€™ve just had this clutch failure 2 days ago on my 2018 JLU Sport with 15k miles. I was driving on the freeway to a trail in Arizona and the rpms started to blip. I started to loose power when trying to accelerate and then I started to smell that burnt clutch smell as white smoke came from underneath my Jeep. I immediately pulled over and noticed my clutch pedal was about halfway down and didnā€™t return to its normal position. After that i crawled under my Jeep to find black chared residue between my tranny and engine. I pulled the rubber plugs out and they were coated in black residue. I had to rent a uhaul truck and trailer to tow it back home. Waiting on the dealership ā€œspecializedā€ techs to look it over. Definitely seemed like more than just the clutch going out.
So sorry to hear this, RiotOfTheStars! Our team would be happy to assist you while the Jeep is with the dealer. Send a private message with more details to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

RiotOfTheStars

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Sorry to hear this.

Did you happen to have the first clutch recall done?
I did not have the first one done as I was unaware of It due to moving and not receiving a letter. It does not seem like anything involved in the first recall would of done anything to prevent this issue. It may prevent the Jeep from going up in flames but thankfully that didnā€™t happen.

Sponsored

RiotOfTheStars

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
UPDATE: Dealer stated clutch was completely burnt out and pressure plate needed to be replaced. Not much details to the extent of the damage. They stated everything will be covered under the clutch recall. New pressure plate and clutch supposed to be going in soon. The clutch has never felt great from the start. Iā€™m wondering if there is just a bad batch of clutches/pressure plates as some people experience issues and some donā€™t. Glad I didnā€™t have to argue with them as I wasnā€™t going to pay for a replacement of a defective part. Iā€™ll keep everyone updated when the new parts go in.

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Iā€™ve had a terrible experience with the dealer near my new home. Iā€™ve brought my Jeep in 4 times just for issues with the clutch (still under warranty). Not to mention 3 separate times for Service 4WD light, but thatā€™s for another thread. Each time I brought it in for the clutch they said it passed their tests until the 4th time which failed. They told me I needed a new clutch and would schedule me for when they got the parts. When I finally dropped off the vehicle they had it for exactly a week. I had to call them every day for status updates and half the time they never called me back. They explained that they had to wait for more parts (slave, master, etc). Well I finally I got it back and as soon as I got into it I noticed the Service Start/Stop light on. I walked right back in and the service manager told me that it was normal and would go away after driving it for a bit to charge the secondary battery. I thought that was BS. Halfway home I noticed that the exhaust was louder than normal so when I got home I put it in neutral and revved it a bit. There was definitely a leak. By this time the dealer was closed so I went back first thing the next morning and told the service manager about the exhaust (and the Service Start/Stop light was still on). They took it in right away and an hour later it was ready. They told me that they needed to tighten some clamps on the exhaust and charge the start/stop battery. No apology; nothing. I couldnā€™t believe how they could give me back a vehicle in that condition after having it for that long. I had more problems than when I brought it in. A week later, I noticed the exhaust louder than normal again so I looked under the Jeep and it looks like itā€™s been put back together with a bunch of scraps! I refuse to go back to this place so I made an appt two weeks from now for the next closest dealership to have everything looked at. The clutch, thank god, seems okay. Sorry for the rant but I just canā€™t believe the incompetence of this place. I really hope I have a better experience at this new place cause Iā€™ve had it.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
UPDATE: Dealer stated clutch was completely burnt out and pressure plate needed to be replaced. Not much details to the extent of the damage. They stated everything will be covered under the clutch recall. New pressure plate and clutch supposed to be going in soon. The clutch has never felt great from the start. Iā€™m wondering if there is just a bad batch of clutches/pressure plates as some people experience issues and some donā€™t. Glad I didnā€™t have to argue with them as I wasnā€™t going to pay for a replacement of a defective part. Iā€™ll keep everyone updated when the new parts go in.
Hey, RiotOfTheStars. We just responded to your private message. Please follow up with us there at your earliest convenience.

Kate
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Iā€™ve had a terrible experience with the dealer near my new home. Iā€™ve brought my Jeep in 4 times just for issues with the clutch (still under warranty). Not to mention 3 separate times for Service 4WD light, but thatā€™s for another thread. Each time I brought it in for the clutch they said it passed their tests until the 4th time which failed. They told me I needed a new clutch and would schedule me for when they got the parts. When I finally dropped off the vehicle they had it for exactly a week. I had to call them every day for status updates and half the time they never called me back. They explained that they had to wait for more parts (slave, master, etc). Well I finally I got it back and as soon as I got into it I noticed the Service Start/Stop light on. I walked right back in and the service manager told me that it was normal and would go away after driving it for a bit to charge the secondary battery. I thought that was BS. Halfway home I noticed that the exhaust was louder than normal so when I got home I put it in neutral and revved it a bit. There was definitely a leak. By this time the dealer was closed so I went back first thing the next morning and told the service manager about the exhaust (and the Service Start/Stop light was still on). They took it in right away and an hour later it was ready. They told me that they needed to tighten some clamps on the exhaust and charge the start/stop battery. No apology; nothing. I couldnā€™t believe how they could give me back a vehicle in that condition after having it for that long. I had more problems than when I brought it in. A week later, I noticed the exhaust louder than normal again so I looked under the Jeep and it looks like itā€™s been put back together with a bunch of scraps! I refuse to go back to this place so I made an appt two weeks from now for the next closest dealership to have everything looked at. The clutch, thank god, seems okay. Sorry for the rant but I just canā€™t believe the incompetence of this place. I really hope I have a better experience at this new place cause Iā€™ve had it.
So sorry to hear this! If you are still experiencing concerns and need assistance from our team, send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What's the 3rd recall?

Also, explain engine sounding like it wants to blow up? Did they leave the exhaust Y pipe loose?

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If you would, please post the completed work order so we can see what they claimed to have done

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi zgn,
We're terribly sorry to hear of the frustration that has been associated with your situation. Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Jeep Cares
Sponsored