Sponsored

Lack the strength to mount tires

Dreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU MOAB, '13 Nissan 370Z Roadster
I have a very bad back and I found it impossible to lift and mount 33 inch tires onto JLU by myself. I can mount car tires. I am wondering whether anyone has a DIY method that would make this process easy.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have a very bad back and I found it impossible to lift and mount 33 inch tires onto JLU by myself. I can mount car tires. I am wondering whether anyone has a DIY method that would make this process easy.
Google "Tire Dolly" or "Wheel Dolly". Might not be much help when not on pavement, but it exists.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Someone posted a long time ago a similar thread and there were a lot of unique ideas to make it easier.

I lift no higher than needed, so I only have to lift my 37s an inch or so. I sit on my the ground with my legs out and one on either side of the tire as I face the lugs. I can generally lift by bringing my lefts together. Way better than a thighmaster!

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Roll the tire into place and sit down in front of the tire with your legs spread out and the tire between your knees. Plant your heels into the ground and bend your knees to lift the wheel. Use your hands to just balance the wheel from tipping in and out. Once up on the studs just push on the tire to get the studs through the rim and get one lug nut started, then you can push the tire and add other lug nuts. Once you have 2 lug nuts started you can let your legs go.

Getting the flat tire back on the spare tire carrier... Just get it in the back of the jeep until you get it fixed. Then have them put it on the tire carrier. :)

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I use the ROF method, a MasterCard pitcrew...
pit crew tire rotation.jpeg
Yes, me too.

There’s alway a Discount Tire within 60 miles of wherever I might be.

While I’ve had flat tires many times before, I still have to get a flat Jeep tire. Knock on wood

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Not the only way for sure but I roll my 40's up on my feet while sitting on my shop stool. You can adjust it accordingly. You have a bunch of leverage in your ankles. You can lift up and down pretty easy. Just get the hubs right above ride height and you're good to go.

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Working on military vehicles, we mount MTVR tires. 210 lbs each. We adjust height of the vehicle with the floor jack to match the tire. It works but I would hate to try and change one of those in the field!

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Roll the tire into place and sit down in front of the tire with your legs spread out and the tire between your knees. Plant your heels into the ground and bend your knees to lift the wheel. Use your hands to just balance the wheel from tipping in and out. Once up on the studs just push on the tire to get the studs through the rim and get one lug nut started, then you can push the tire and add other lug nuts. Once you have 2 lug nuts started you can let your legs go.

Getting the flat tire back on the spare tire carrier... Just get it in the back of the jeep until you get it fixed. Then have them put it on the tire carrier. :)
That’s my method as well.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Any DIY ideas with respect to rotating the spare off/on? I do the seated method, with my ankles doing the lifting, but that only works on the four wheels.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Any DIY ideas with respect to rotating the spare off/on? I do the seated method, with my ankles doing the lifting, but that only works on the four wheels.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lack the strength to mount tires totes

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I’ve been thinking that a platform may work. I can lift the wheel/tire, but the lining up has me challenged. Good tip. Thanks! I wonder if Home Depot or Harbor Freight have a slicker platform available?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I’ve been thinking that a platform may work. I can lift the wheel/tire, but the lining up has me challenged. Good tip. Thanks! I wonder if Home Depot or Harbor Freight have a slicker platform available?
@rickinAZ

What's nice about the 2 empty 27 gal totes .... very very sturdy but very light in weight... is that when you have the spare up on them, you can very easily slide the totes as needed on the garage floor.... slide/move/ position, so the spare lines up. Works similar when going to remove the spare.. Could not do this with a pricey "slick" platform..

I'm 72 yo and have been doing the dead with totes for a few years now.

Oh, I buy the 27 gal. totes at Sam's Club for $8.50 each....

Use the same two 27 gal totes, plus two more.... stacked in the rear of the JL to haul stuff.

I can get 4 totes into the back of my 2 dr with the rear seat removed.. Height of the totes stacked up 2 high does not hinder my rear view when driving...

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Use the hoist in the garage (ratchet strap that I use to lift the hard top) to lift the tire to the hight of the tire carrier, push it forward and you are done.

P.S. You can use the same method to pull/line-up/re-install steel bumpers.

But my rule is that my tire wheel/combo need to weigh less than my gf. Since I can still lift her, I'm not worried :) - Had to use KO2s to not violate the rule, though :(
Sponsored