First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
The chip shortage is an enormous factor. Ford has thousands upon thousands of complete F-150’s sitting around just waiting on chips.
Very true. Originally they were holding them near the plant. Hadn’t seen anything about them shipping with missing components but recently I saw a lot with what appeared to be over 100 f150s. This was definitely a dealer over flow lot.
Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Aside from the global chip shortage, Ford has made their own share of mis-steps in their recent high profile product launches:

1. The recently released Bronco Sport already has three recalls dealing with the suspension system, control arms, driveshaft. Several press reviewers have also noted a potential overheating issue with the four wheel drive system.

2. Multiple quality issues with new Explorer, mostly from rushed 2020 production and new Chicago plant. Poor seats, wiring harness, software, wrong emblems/wheels, and other “complications”

3. Numerous early production 2021 F-150 were set aside, in need of further inspections, repairs and components. Some disagreement over number and severity of repairs between UAW (who are not doing the work) and Ford.

Given that recent track record, I’m super confident that they’ll pull off the the Bronco launch, whenever that happens. Super duper confident.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
FCA is channeling all available chips towards its higher-margin products: Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Gladiator and Ram trucks.
Even with Ram, they are dropping content from lower level trims and using allocation for top level trims.

Can’t get Blind Spot Monitoring on Laramie anymore but it’s still standard on the pricey Limited

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Lower sales does not seem phase F stock, as it is up 40% over last month and up 8% from a week ago.
People banking on high reservation numbers with Bronco and lightning. If F does not fumble those two, F sales will be way up by end of this year. Glad I bought whole bunch of F at $5 and stuck with it during paranoia.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Even with Ram, they are dropping content from lower level trims and using allocation for top level trims.

Can’t get Blind Spot Monitoring on Laramie anymore but it’s still standard on the pricey Limited
Yes, that's going to drive customer loyalty:

"We realize there is limited stock, so we are going to make fewer vehicles and max out their options so if you have to buy a vehicle now it will be the most expensive version we can make."

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Yes, that's going to drive customer loyalty:

"We realize there is limited stock, so we are going to make fewer vehicles and max out their options so if you have to buy a vehicle now it will be the most expensive version we can make."
If one buys one it probably has little effect. I don't have a problem with companies making money, hope they do, just like I don't have a problem with the ballooning used truck market that many are enjoying.

If they are forcing consumers who HAVE to buy into more options at least they are getting something for their money. I think most know what's going on now and understand the deal.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
That was years ago; well before this whole chip shortage started.

Auto News says F-Series sales are 30% down; according to Ford it is due to chip shortages.

FCA is channeling all available chips towards its higher-margin products: Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Gladiator and Ram trucks.

I have a hard time believing that Ford would be so inept as to leave the supply of parts to its bread-and-butter vehicle so vulnerable to disruption.
Having worked in American manufacturing, I can assure you that short sighted management and an obsession with "just in time" supply chains are dominant and this situation is the inevitable result. ;)

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Lower sales does not seem phase F stock, as it is up 40% over last month and up 8% from a week ago.
People banking on high reservation numbers with Bronco and lightning. If F does not fumble those two, F sales will be way up by end of this year. Glad I bought whole bunch of F at $5 and stuck with it during paranoia.
Ditto, been a rough ride though. They have by far the best electrification strategy of the legacy American manufacturers. Stilleto could catch up, but the stuff they sell in Europe now would likely sell about as well as the Bolt does.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Having worked in American manufacturing, I can assure you that short sighted management and an obsession with "just in time" supply chains are dominant and this situation is the inevitable result. ;)
Especially when businesses are taxed on inventory. This common practice of sucking every bit of money has created the "Out of Parts, No Time Frame available for re- Supply" debacle. Another example of " We have Met the Enemy, and he is US"

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Agree, as i have been in US manufacturing industry for over a decade, but it's not just the US though. This "JIT" inventory is modeled after Toyota/Japan and i imagine other countries use it as well since inventory = cash sitting on shelves.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Agree, as i have been in US manufacturing industry for over a decade, but it's not just the US though. This "JIT" inventory is modeled after Toyota/Japan and i imagine other countries use it as well since inventory = cash sitting on shelves.
Ironically, Toyota saw this shortage coming and prepared for it better than most. Ford appears to have been caught least prepared.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The reason Toyota is having fewer issues is they stocked up on parts as they no longer follow a JIT philosophy, if they ever did.
Sponsored