Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I guess the what I really like to know is if anyone would run these on stock JL wheels and is it safe?
Many here, including myself, had no issues from pushing the limits of the 7.5" wide factory wheel with a set of 35x12.5's. Some are doing just as fine with 37x12.5's. But in my opinion, a 38x13.5 is really pushing it. Especially with the Pat's, which are a softer and shorter lifespan tire. You'd wear through them much quicker, because the narrow wheel would cause the tread to balloon outward further than its meant to. The thinner contact point would hyper wear the center lugs. And if you aired down to increase the contact patch, I think excessive cupping would roar through them just as quick, because these tires are designed with more rounded tread from side to side. They are meant to be run at 35psi, and are supposed to not fully engage the outer lugs at street pressure. I've had my 38x13.5 pat's for about 10 months now, on a 17x9 wheel at 35psi, and they'll be due for replacement by this winter because they're already getting down to the wear point that I'm starting to get some slippage taking certain corners in the rain. That means it's snow capability will pretty much be gone come this winter.

RCJLU

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Many here, including myself, had no issues from pushing the limits of the 7.5" wide factory wheel with a set of 35x12.5's. Some are doing just as fine with 37x12.5's. But in my opinion, a 38x13.5 is really pushing it. Especially with the Pat's, which are a softer and shorter lifespan tire. You'd wear through them much quicker, because the narrow wheel would cause the tread to balloon outward further than its meant to. The thinner contact point would hyper wear the center lugs. And if you aired down to increase the contact patch, I think excessive cupping would roar through them just as quick, because these tires are designed with more rounded tread from side to side. They are meant to be run at 35psi, and are supposed to not fully engage the outer lugs at street pressure. I've had my 38x13.5 pat's for about 10 months now, on a 17x9 wheel at 35psi, and they'll be due for replacement by this winter because they're already getting down to the wear point that I'm starting to get some slippage taking certain corners in the rain. That means it's snow capability will pretty much be gone come this winter.
Thank you for this info. I appreciate the feedback :fist bump:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! No way in hell would I want my next tires to wear that quickly. I’ve loved the stock KO2’s so far... I’m thinking I’ll either stick with stock replacements, get 35” KO2’s, or look at KO3’s when the time comes to replace my stock tires (2 years, 33k miles currently).

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! No way in hell would I want my next tires to wear that quickly. I’ve loved the stock KO2’s so far... I’m thinking I’ll either stick with stock replacements, get 35” KO2’s, or look at KO3’s when the time comes to replace my stock tires (2 years, 33k miles currently).
I forgot to add that I'm currently just over 30k on these Pat's. And have just over 3/8" of tread left. By winter I'll be retiring them with somewhere around 40-45k total.

Sponsored

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAM TRX, 2018 JLUR, 1996 H1 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Commercial Operations (TWF)
Vehicle Showcase
If you're looking for a visual, here's mine. 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger on 17x9 wheels with 4.53" backspace and -12mm offset wrapped in 38x13.50 Milestar Pat's.
20200815_110458.jpg
20200813_083406_resized.jpg
20200831_111107.jpg
20200831_111415.jpg
20200831_104158.jpg
Love the build!

2 Questions:
- how much bump front and rear? (I've got nearly the same set up with my 3.5" RK X factor lift)
- Any trimming outside of the quarter panels behind the rear wheels? (I trimmed 1.5" out of my rear, split my fenders, and installed Artec Inner Fenders)

Curious to see your exact setup and if you're rubbing anywhere.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Love the build!

2 Questions:
- how much bump front and rear? (I've got nearly the same set up with my 3.5" RK X factor lift)
- Any trimming outside of the quarter panels behind the rear wheels? (I trimmed 1.5" out of my rear, split my fenders, and installed Artec Inner Fenders)

Curious to see your exact setup and if you're rubbing anywhere.
Thanks buddy!

In those pics you quoted, I had 3" of bumpstop spacers front and rear. The inner shoulder of the front tire lightly touches the AAL liners when one side is fully stuffed and the other is fully drooped. 4" would ensure no rubbing up front, but the rear can stay at 3".

The only other rubbing besides the rear pinch seam, was the front tires hitting the mopar steel bumper wings when turning. I removed those and no further rubbing issues. I've also heard that 38's and larger will hit the front edge of the Rubicon factory rock rails because they extend further in towards the wheelwell. I didn't have that issue with my 38's, because I not only used the adjustable control arms to fix geometry, but also used them the recenter the axles in the wheelwells fore and aft. The higher the ride height, the closer the axles migrate towards each other.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Added the metal cloak long arm kit in the front and the drop brackets in the rear, since I’m on 40’s the tire will hit at the same time as the brackets so I hope I don’t hit them too much. I’ll do the rear long arms later.

Jeep Wrangler JL 38” Tires fit and they are awesom!! IMG_6019

Jeep Wrangler JL 38” Tires fit and they are awesom!! IMG_6016

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Added the metal cloak long arm kit in the front and the drop brackets in the rear, since I’m on 40’s the tire will hit at the same time as the brackets so I hope I don’t hit them too much. I’ll do the rear long arms later.

That's cool. But I don't know why you put it in this ancient dead thread? You might get more people to see it if you create a new thread about what you have done.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
That's cool. But I don't know why you put it in this ancient dead thread? You might get more people to see it if you create a new thread about what you have done.
Oh I put it in here to entertain folks who like to look at old ancient threads and respond 🤣