Sponsored

The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Heres my front bumper. MetalCloak modular bumper.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) C3128E8D-E772-4684-9928-B84EDBC434CF
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So - noob here. Can someone point me to a thread about spare tire mount? I have a 2020 jl with 35” Mickey Thompson’s. It drags on the stock bumper and makes the tailgate difficult to open and close. I want to save weight and not stress the tailgate. I will be replacing the bumper too.
The most cost efficient and proper carrier solution is the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It simply replaces the factory plastic carrier, without getting further invasive with the Jeep. It provides both height adjustment to raise the spare for bumper clearance, and fore and aft adjustment to accommodate different width tires and wheel offsets to maintain full supportive contact between the inner sidewall and the rubber bumpers on the tailgate. The Alpha includes a clamp-on bracket that relocates the 3rd brake light to right above the backup camera. Here's a pic of a 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2 on factory wheel mounted to this carrier. This is with the carrier adjusted to the highest of its 3 settings.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20200423_092815_resized

Here's a pic of the Alpha holding my current 38x13.5 tire on a wheel that's wider and of less backspace than the factory wheel. The fore and aft adjustability made it possible to maintain firm contact between the inner sidewall and the tailgates rubber bumpers. Without that adjustability, the spare would've been shifted further away from the tailgate. This is an important aspect to consider, because when a given weight gets cantilevered away from its mounting surface, the negative affects of that weight will be amplified.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20200813_083647_resized

It's hard to see it in this 2nd pic, but the 38's brought me back to having the tire hitting the rear bumper. Also, as solid as the Alpha was holding up to the heavier spare during daily driver duty, I knew it was going to be a problem when bouncing around the trails. At the time, Teraflex still hadn't released their hinged tailgate reinforcement that was to be used with their carrier. I was also wanting to get the spare mounted even higher, to maximize clearance when coming off of ledges and whatnot.

My hunt for a hinged tailgate reinforcement with adjustable carrier expanded to include a rear bumper. It makes sense to do these together, so that it's easier to come up with a solution that covers all the small bits: 3rd brake light, license plate, and plate light. I ended up with the Elite hinged carrier and the Ultra High Clearance rear bumper from Cavfab in Georgia. All easy bolt on parts, but moving the plate from the original location requires some form of extending the factory plate light harness and rerouting it to come out of the back of the gate like the camera and 3rd brake light harnesses. I had them powder coated to match the Mopar steel bumpers lightly textured black and the Cavfab logo plates in the same gloss red as the factory tow hooks. The tailgate is so strong that I was able to hang my body weight, with the spare mounted and tailgate swung open, without any sign of hinge sag. The cargo area also became so much quieter while driving around on our lovely NY roads/moonscape.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20210211_132351_resized

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimted Sport
why no mention of Fishone Bumpers? I like the Fishbone Offroad FB 22178 Stubby Front Bumper, but the lack of talk about it makes me question it.

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I currently have a stock rubi plastic bumper and am looking to upgrade to the same CavFab tire carrier and rear bumper.

We’re you able to easily switch in the backup sensors and did previously have a plastic stock bumper?

What lights do you use for your reverse lights now?

Any tips on the install and switch would greatly be appreciated! Looks like a perfect setup!

The most cost efficient and proper carrier solution is the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It simply replaces the factory plastic carrier, without getting further invasive with the Jeep. It provides both height adjustment to raise the spare for bumper clearance, and fore and aft adjustment to accommodate different width tires and wheel offsets to maintain full supportive contact between the inner sidewall and the rubber bumpers on the tailgate. The Alpha includes a clamp-on bracket that relocates the 3rd brake light to right above the backup camera. Here's a pic of a 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2 on factory wheel mounted to this carrier. This is with the carrier adjusted to the highest of its 3 settings.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20210211_132351_resized

Here's a pic of the Alpha holding my current 38x13.5 tire on a wheel that's wider and of less backspace than the factory wheel. The fore and aft adjustability made it possible to maintain firm contact between the inner sidewall and the tailgates rubber bumpers. Without that adjustability, the spare would've been shifted further away from the tailgate. This is an important aspect to consider, because when a given weight gets cantilevered away from its mounting surface, the negative affects of that weight will be amplified.

It's hard to see it in this 2nd pic, but the 38's brought me back to having the tire hitting the rear bumper. Also, as solid as the Alpha was holding up to the heavier spare during daily driver duty, I knew it was going to be a problem when bouncing around the trails. At the time, Teraflex still hadn't released their hinged tailgate reinforcement that was to be used with their carrier. I was also wanting to get the spare mounted even higher, to maximize clearance when coming off of ledges and whatnot.

My hunt for a hinged tailgate reinforcement with adjustable carrier expanded to include a rear bumper. It makes sense to do these together, so that it's easier to come up with a solution that covers all the small bits: 3rd brake light, license plate, and plate light. I ended up with the Elite hinged carrier and the Ultra High Clearance rear bumper from Cavfab in Georgia. All easy bolt on parts, but moving the plate from the original location requires some form of extending the factory plate light harness and rerouting it to come out of the back of the gate like the camera and 3rd brake light harnesses. I had them powder coated to match the Mopar steel bumpers lightly textured black and the Cavfab logo plates in the same gloss red as the factory tow hooks. The tailgate is so strong that I was able to hang my body weight, with the spare mounted and tailgate swung open, without any sign of hinge sag. The cargo area also became so much quieter while driving around on our lovely NY roads/moonscape.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have a stock rubi plastic bumper and am looking to upgrade to the same CavFab tire carrier and rear bumper.

We’re you able to easily switch in the backup sensors and did previously have a plastic stock bumper?

What lights do you use for your reverse lights now?

Any tips on the install and switch would greatly be appreciated! Looks like a perfect setup!
I started with the steel rear bumper, and the backup sensors switched over just fine. I did order new sensor bezels and retainers for the swap, because plastic clips usually don't hold as well when being reused. Otherwise, I just made sure to move 1 sensor at a time to make sure each one was going in the same exact position and orientation.

I don't yet have any auxiliary backup lights. Before deciding on the Cavfab Ultra High Clearance bumper, I was narrowed down to both it and the Motobilt Crusher, which is available with cutouts and mounting points for a pair of cube lights. I ultimately chose the Cavfab because I thought it looked cleaner without all the cutouts. If I add reverse lights, I'll go with a pair of Baja Designs S1's. They are small enough to not stand out, but are plenty bright and could be mounted around the 3rd brake light. I'm thinking that would look cleaner than bolting them to the top of the bumper, and they could also serve as area lighting if needed.

Installation of both parts was easy and straightforward. The one thing that generally isn't included with rear bumpers and carriers is a license plate light. With so many available options, it's hard to come up with something that fits every combination. Often times, it's left to the individual to come up with a method that works for their specific setup.

I extended the factory plate light harness from where it plugs into the factory bumper, which is in-between the rear tire and bumper on the driver's side. You'll have to unplug it when removing the factory bumper. Once extended, I ran it across the back side of the new bumper to the passenger side, up through the body behind the taillight (which I temporarily removed), and through an existing rubber grommet into the cargo area. With the interior panels and cargo floor removed, I followed the factory harnesses through the braided sleeve at the tailgate hinge and back out through the tailgate grommet to the spare. This is the license plate light that I chose.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...rtec-license-plate-led-lights-and-harness-kit

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I have a very specific taste in bumpers and I made a thread on it for my own record. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cheapest-full-width-hidden-winch-bumpers.59256/

They must be full width to protect my fenders from shopping carts when cart narcs aren’t on patrol and most importantly to protect my wheels so they don’t snap off during zombie apocalyptic bumper cars.

This is what I have found so far

Requirements:
Full Width (fender to fender, and not that tube crap)
Sunken Winch mount
One Piece (not modular)

This is what I've found so far. Please let me know if you have found cheaper ones.

EAG $469
https://amzn.to/3opbRsh
C12DD515-3C8E-403E-A3C2-57611BA8012A.jpeg

Paramount Automotive $496
https://amzn.to/3w8W8A4
1601917771842.png

Rugged Ridge HD $503
https://amzn.to/2S3Wo4V
1601918298114.png

U-box $559
https://amzn.to/3vLyBp9
78A2D3F2-D185-4947-A208-ACE104E348A4.jpeg

Barricade Extreme HD $600
https://amzn.to/2S3hK22
1601918402413.png

DV8 Offroad Modular $700
https://amzn.to/3eX3FfI
1601918486282.png

Westin 59-80105 $692
https://amzn.to/3v2azG8
F829EDB6-829F-4E08-8E84-9E996561618F.jpeg

Rusty's Offroad RJB9900 $700
https://amzn.to/3tWD0UL
1601918031442.png

There's a handful more, but the prices get pretty ridiculous. I do like the factory steel, but that's $1000 and I'm not a fan of end caps being held on by little bolts.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Rugged Ridge Venator Stubby Front Bumper
(winch is SB XRC Gen3 9.5k)

Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 21F5110B-5276-43C7-9D06-8A44A0F2CC6B
Now THAT's one of the better looking stubbies and I'm not a fan of stubby bumpers

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Did you paint your bolts for the protection ring? Or Did you order black ones?
I ordered some black bolts from a different company, however I would not recommend it as it only last one salt season before rusts developing.

Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 392 Wrangler
Occupation
Retirement From Oil Refinery
Another classic design Poison Spider Crawler front bumper, very well built.

E7E2DFBC-69A7-4950-A25B-86F24F0B35C7.jpeg

EFABF38F-ED64-4A8B-A19A-84E8CC5A79F9.jpeg

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I'm doing research now and finding the selection of bumpers to be pretty insane, with all the various options. While this list is really helpful, it's not interactive.

So I started building a spreadsheet, with columns to track the various options and using data validation to keep things consistent. I started on it today, but have a few meetings and such. The link is open if anyone else has some spare time and wants to continue adding the data.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AsRHejlSsuKAkJ4dSfUk5vz35zTtEg?e=HNeF0A

It would be awesome to have this as a resource so that you could filter by your chosen criteria and then have a shortlist of bumpers to look at.

I deliberately didn't include pricing, just because that's subject to change. Please feel free to add any other columns that you think would be handy. I also included a tab for rear bumpers, and plan to get there once the front bumper is done.

Grand Lake Special

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
retired teacher & building administrator
Vehicle Showcase
finally put my Paramount full width steel bumper on with Warn EVO 8000 winch and light bar. I still have the wiring to do but I am very happy with the look and fit.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) Jeep front bumper winch.JPG

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
anyone have the genright front bumper with the winch guard that also has the front trail cam? Im curious how bad it blocks the view, I know I can get it without the winch guard but I really like it. bonus points for some pics from the screens view.
Sponsored