What's the Deal with the Antenna?

ERC4

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Altitude, 2019 M5, 2017 LX570
I'm a Jeep newbie who just bought a Sahara Altitude. I'm more impressed with the vehicle than I expected. My only question is about the 35 inch antenna which is mounted on the front passenger side. It's mounted securely but at highway speeds it flies back and forth and makes a lot of noise. Are there any aftermarket alternatives I should consider? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
One of the first things I swapped was the antenna. Search Jeep Antenna on Amazon and you’ll have 1,000 options. I went with a 9inch, I think it was $20. No change in reception and looks so much better.
Jeep Wrangler JL What's the Deal with the Antenna? AA887EF5-A7C8-4F82-A1D1-6ACE524F0CFB

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
What kind of noise? Are you talking about a knocking noise or wind noise? The antenna should not make any noises. Double check and see if it is FULLY tighten. Some people replace them with shorter antennas for esthetics but that reduces reception. Personally I like the height of the stock antenna. It's a reliable ceiling "feeler" for low overhead garages. Hit the brakes if you hear the scrape! Lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm a Jeep newbie who just bought a Sahara Altitude. I'm more impressed with the vehicle than I expected. My only question is about the 35 inch antenna which is mounted on the front passenger side. It's mounted securely but at highway speeds it flies back and forth and makes a lot of noise. Are there any aftermarket alternatives I should consider? Thanks in advance.
There are a lot of aftermarket antennas and they are very easy to replace. However, keep in mind that the antenna is 35" because that is 1/4 of an FM signal's wavelength. That's the shortest antenna you can use without severely reducing reception, especially at medium to long range. You can get away with a stubby antenna in a strong signal urban environment but that's exactly what a Jeep is meant to get away from. Anyone who says "no change to reception" is quite incorrect. They just happen to be close to a high watt broadcast tower. Drive away and they will lose reception much quicker than the stock antenna.

I tried a stubby antenna and quickly discarded it. A waste of a purchase, reception was non-existent at med-long range. I ended up dipping my stock antenna in Plasti-Dip for the black antenna look, some protection for the rare occasion where it would slap the paint, and no reduction in reception. If you have other ideas, you can use anything non-metallic on the antenna.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
There are a lot of aftermarket antennas and they are very easy to replace. However, keep in mind that the antenna is 35" because that is 1/4 of an FM signal's wavelength. That's the shortest antenna you can use without severely reducing reception, especially at medium to long range. You can get away with a stubby antenna in a strong signal urban environment but that's exactly what a Jeep is meant to get away from. Anyone who says "no change to reception" is quite incorrect. They just happen to be close to a high watt broadcast tower. Drive away and they will lose reception much quicker than the stock antenna.

I tried a stubby antenna and quickly discarded it. A waste of a purchase, reception was non-existent at med-long range. I ended up dipping my stock antenna in Plasti-Dip for the black antenna look, some protection for the rare occasion where it would slap the paint, and no reduction in reception. If you have other ideas, you can use anything non-metallic on the antenna.
In my area I put the shortest antenna possible and haven't noticed any reception loss, everyone's area will be different and quiet honestly id rather listen to pandora or xm anyway.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

In rural Alabama I have had no perceptible change with the stubby. I get better FM signal than I get cell signal.

ACGC

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUL 4xe

Sponsored

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
Only problem I am having with my 2021 antenna is less long range AM reception than my 2012 had and only time I have had a antenna whip back and forth is with ice build up.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Prefer the antenna above the roof line. When pulling in garages or parking garages; if the antenna clears the header, lights, pipe, etc. then the roof clears.

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Prefer the antenna above the roof line. When pulling in garages or parking garages; if the antenna clears the header, lights, pipe, etc. then the roof clears.
The antenna actually serves that exact purpose ( besides reception)....
If the antenna"fits " the roofline will fit... it is 1"above the roofline of the vehicle.
Garages,tree limbs, etc... you'll know if you can fit under the object.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
A properly-tuned, high-Q FM antenna will compensate quite a bit for the shorter size of a stubby antenna. AM reception is a different story, for a number of reasons I won’t go into here, as many don’t listen to AM radio. Unless asked, of course.
Sponsored