Sponsored

"On-going Intermittenent no start issue with new JLU Sahara".

• Thread starter Deleted member 11497
  • Start date
  • Watchers 12

Deleted member 11497

(BTW.. a huge thank you to JL forums for helping me track the factory build of my Jeep from day 1, so awesome! I knew the jeep had arrived at the dealership apparently before the sales department did, and when I stopped by the local dealership to check it out on that Saturday, they told me it hadn't arrived yet and they did not know when it would be there, the sales department later admitted that it had been there Saturday all along and It turned out that there were several miles mysteriously showing up on the odometer when they finally handed it over to me .. a story for another day).
Back to the no start issue... this is like the 6th or 8th time this has happened and so far it has only happened while sitting in my garage and has not left me stranded away from home or in the back country. But this issue is somewhat driving me crazy because I am pretty sure it is a software / firmware issue with the Jeep's onboard computer system and not the result of me having a brain cramp. So now I will attempt to describe the issue in detail .. 99.5 times out of 100 it starts up like a dream, but the times it hasn't it has always when it is parked inside my garage, sitting unlocked for several days with both key fobs in a drawer inside the house about 25 feet away, (The Jeep is not a daily driver, it is my second vehicle and I am the only person who drives the jeep, I live alone except for my teenage daughter who is with me every other week, I have complelely ruled her out since this issue just happened again tonight and my daughter is currently 3500 miles away on vacation in Hawaii with her Mom). So far I only drive the Jeep on weekends and some evenings, which is after hours while the dealership service department are closed, ( even if they were open I am certain that this issue would not replicate itself in the presence of the service department and there is no practical way to demonstrate this to anyone), so it goes like this.. I grab the key fob, open rear door to load up the dog in back, doors are already unlocked so not pushing any buttons, jump in the driver's seat, buckle up, e-brake was not set, vehicle in park automatic trans, step on brake pedal, dash lights up with all graphics displayed, headlights come on, tach and speedo needles sweep over and then back, uconnect display active, ignition goes from Acc to Run to Start but the engine does not turn over. The display says brake pedal and push button but no matter how many times I try everything looks normal, engine will not turn over even after dozens of tries and double - tripple checking everything! I want to make clear that the display DOES NOT at any time during this sequence say "key fob not detected", the only thing that finally gets the jeep started is to leave it sit parked and go back into the house, wait 15 minuets and then use the remote start function by pushing start twice with fob, remote start function does not work while sitting ih the vehicle during this issue nor after getting out and standing next to it from outside. I wait 15 minutes, (trying start button again from inside vehicle doesnt work), remote start after wait is the only thing that seems to get it started. My previos vehicle was a 2014 RAM 1500 with remote and push button start and no issues, I am 55 years old this year and my girlfriend and some of my buddies will tell you it is because I have lost my mind, but I think it could be the Jeep this time .. could this be a security feature i am not disabling?? Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Push the brake harder.

Try remote starting it from the beginning, it will work every time if this is your problem.

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
(BTW.. a huge thank you to JL forums for helping me track the factory build of my Jeep from day 1, so awesome! I knew the jeep had arrived at the dealership apparently before the sales department did, and when I stopped by the local dealership to check it out on that Saturday, they told me it hadn't arrived yet and they did not know when it would be there, the sales department later admitted that it had been there Saturday all along and It turned out that there were several miles mysteriously showing up on the odometer when they finally handed it over to me .. a story for another day).
Back to the no start issue... this is like the 6th or 8th time this has happened and so far it has only happened while sitting in my garage and has not left me stranded away from home or in the back country. But this issue is somewhat driving me crazy because I am pretty sure it is a software / firmware issue with the Jeep's onboard computer system and not the result of me having a brain cramp. So now I will attempt to describe the issue in detail .. 99.5 times out of 100 it starts up like a dream, but the times it hasn't it has always when it is parked inside my garage, sitting unlocked for several days with both key fobs in a drawer inside the house about 25 feet away, (The Jeep is not a daily driver, it is my second vehicle and I am the only person who drives the jeep, I live alone except for my teenage daughter who is with me every other week, I have complelely ruled her out since this issue just happened again tonight and my daughter is currently 3500 miles away on vacation in Hawaii with her Mom). So far I only drive the Jeep on weekends and some evenings, which is after hours while the dealership service department are closed, ( even if they were open I am certain that this issue would not replicate itself in the presence of the service department and there is no practical way to demonstrate this to anyone), so it goes like this.. I grab the key fob, open rear door to load up the dog in back, doors are already unlocked so not pushing any buttons, jump in the driver's seat, buckle up, e-brake was not set, vehicle in park automatic trans, step on brake pedal, dash lights up with all graphics displayed, headlights come on, tach and speedo needles sweep over and then back, uconnect display active, ignition goes from Acc to Run to Start but the engine does not turn over. The display says brake pedal and push button but no matter how many times I try everything looks normal, engine will not turn over even after dozens of tries and double - tripple checking everything! I want to make clear that the display DOES NOT at any time during this sequence say "key fob not detected", the only thing that finally gets the jeep started is to leave it sit parked and go back into the house, wait 15 minuets and then use the remote start function by pushing start twice with fob, remote start function does not work while sitting ih the vehicle during this issue nor after getting out and standing next to it from outside. I wait 15 minutes, (trying start button again from inside vehicle doesnt work), remote start after wait is the only thing that seems to get it started. My previos vehicle was a 2014 RAM 1500 with remote and push button start and no issues, I am 55 years old this year and my girlfriend and some of my buddies will tell you it is because I have lost my mind, but I think it could be the Jeep this time .. could this be a security feature i am not disabling?? Any help would be appreciated
I agree with the brake pedal pressure. You need to press it firmly. Otherwise, maybe change the key fob battery, if that doesn't work you'll need to take it in. It could also be a loose fuse. Open the box and make sure they are all seated firmly.

Sorry dude but electronics were never Jeeps speciality. I'm sure they will figure it out.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Good luck. Let us know what you find out. If the dealer is not helpful PM @JeepCares.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11497

Push the brake harder.

Try remote starting it from the beginning, it will work every time if this is your problem.
I agree with the brake pedal pressure. You need to press it firmly. Otherwise, maybe change the key fob battery, if that doesn't work you'll need to take it in. It could also be a loose fuse. Open the box and make sure they are all seated firmly.

Sorry dude but electronics were never Jeeps speciality. I'm sure they will figure it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 11497

Thanks for the tips, I will try pressing the brake harder. Great idea. I thought I was pushing hard enough just out of frustration, but probably not. Everything else on the jeep so far has been amazing. Thanks!

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I second locking the doors. Remote starting automatically locks the doors first before turning on.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I had this same issue and even posted a thread. After the Jeep sits for at least a day it takes much more brake pressure. So just jam the brake down harder and it will start every time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11497

Good luck. Let us know what you find out. If the dealer is not helpful PM @JeepCares.
Thanks for the link.

Probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things and I try not to think too much about the odometer thing .. but really bummed about the Jeep being handed over with the extra miles on it. (I rented an SUV locally up here in the mountains over the Christmas holidays and it only had 2 miles on the odometer when I picked it up .. Jeep had quite a few more than that)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 11497

I had this same issue and even posted a thread. After the Jeep sits for at least a day it takes much more brake pressure. So just jam the brake down harder and it will start every time.
Thanks for the reply.
For some reason I didn't see you post when I searched.
I will give the brake a try, Thanks!

OP
OP

Deleted member 11497

I second locking the doors. Remote starting automatically locks the doors first before turning on.
Thanks for the replies, if pressing the brake harder doesn't work I will definitely give this a try. I suspected something with the remote locking system but hadn't really thought of trying locking the doors when she is sitting in my heated garage, but definitely worth a try.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Try this. Stop the jeep. Turn it off. Pump the brakes until it is hard to press any more. Try starting, and you'll likely encounter your 'normal' problem.

Jethris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2106 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I hate to be that guy, but seriously, paragraphs make that wall of text easier to read. I couldn't get through the post because I kept losing where I was.

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
I hate to be that guy, but seriously, paragraphs make that wall of text easier to read. I couldn't get through the post because I kept losing where I was.
i was thinking the same but made it through lol. i do the same from time to time
Sponsored