Sponsored

Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
I finished installing a game changer lift kit and Undercloak skid plate system on my son's 2 Door 2020 Willys 2.0 Turbo, non e-torque. There is one part I can't figure out despite speaking with Metalcloak, who confirmed it is the correct part.

When I install the passenger side front skid plate hanger, it is about 3 inches a away from the hole. I tried various positions but this the only position that even comes close. The other side bolted up as expected.

Can someone shed some light? We have an event tomorrow and I need to get this resolved.

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help Motor mount

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help Plate

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help Bracket
Sponsored

Last edited:

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2.0 eTorque version installed on my 2018, the only difference between ours is the inclusion of the battery skid on mine.

I'm not with my Jeep at the moment.....my son has it at work. Therefore, I can't provide you with a picture or even a description of where the pass. side bracket goes.

If memory serves correct, I put the pass bracket up by the frame and then loosely attached the bottom bolt on the skid. This helped to visualize the correct orientation of the bracket and which hole in the frame to use. The MC instructions aren't the greatest when showing how those brackets go in.

I know this isn't a lot of help, hopefully you can figure it out. My son gets off work later this evening and I will see if he can take some pics of that bracket if you haven't solved it yet. Good luck! :like:

OP
OP

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
I have the 2.0 eTorque version installed on my 2018, the only difference between ours is the inclusion of the battery skid on mine.

I'm not with my Jeep at the moment.....my son has it at work. Therefore, I can't provide you with a picture or even a description of where the pass. side bracket goes.

If memory serves correct, I put the pass bracket up by the frame and then loosely attached the bottom bolt on the skid. This helped to visualize the correct orientation of the bracket and which hole in the frame to use. The MC instructions aren't the greatest when showing how those brackets go in.

I know this isn't a lot of help, hopefully you can figure it out. My son gets off work later this evening and I will see if he can take some pics of that bracket if you haven't solved it yet. Good luck! :like:
That’s how I started out. Bolted it to front of skid and swing an arc, nothing but air. Flipped it 180 degrees, same problem. This is the closest I can get it.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You have a 2 or 4 door?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The 2 door and 4 door use different passenger side brackets......wonder if you got the wrong one??

Here's for the 2 Door:

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help 1622924069720

Here's for the 4 Door:
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help 1622924192661

I don't know why they would be different. I would have assumed everything forward of the B pillar would be the same.

EDIT: See if MC has the part # engraved on each bracket, skid, etc. That might be an easy way to check if you have the correct bracketry.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
From the picture of your pass. side bracket, it looks like you have the right one.

Mine's a 4 door and I didn't have any issues on the install. Short of drilling a hole in the skid to get the bracket to work, not sure what is wrong. Sorry I can't be more help.

OP
OP

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
The 2 door and 4 door use different passenger side brackets......wonder if you got the wrong one??

Here's for the 2 Door:

1622924069720.png

Here's for the 4 Door:
1622924192661.png

I don't know why they would be different. I would have assumed everything forward of the B pillar would be the same.

EDIT: See if MC has the part # engraved on each bracket, skid, etc. That might be an easy way to check if you have the correct bracketry.
There is nothing engraved and believe me I looked. Will at Metalcloak also told me the one in the 4 door picture you posted is the old bracket. I'm not sure but I believe he said it was the same for all JLs, but could be wrong.

I checked and I definately ordered the 2 door JL no E-Torque.

Here is a picture of the bracket I got:

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help Bracket

Last edited:
OP
OP

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
From the picture of your pass. side bracket, it looks like you have the right one.

Mine's a 4 door and I didn't have any issues on the install. Short of drilling a hole in the skid to get the bracket to work, not sure what is wrong. Sorry I can't be more help.
Did I install it properly?

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help 873FA34D-636B-4B38-AD64-55CB492E6062
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help 0647A28D-D6D0-41F4-9AF0-FEAA783B2048

its the only possible place it can go.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this question/issue to the Metalcloak Owners facebook page to see if anyone else has any insight. I'll let you know.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
I posted this question/issue to the Metalcloak Owners facebook page to see if anyone else has any insight. I'll let you know.
I appreciate that, thanks!

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Did I install it properly?

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help 0647A28D-D6D0-41F4-9AF0-FEAA783B2048

its the only possible place it can go.
My initial answer is No, since the lower bolt won't line up. But since I can't look at mine to determine where my upper bracket is attached, I can't honestly say.

It would be great if there's a hole forward of where you have it attached now, but if you say it won't fit there, then I'm not sure. Plus, you're UCA is blocking the view. ;)

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Had my son take some pics.....I think I found the issue (if what I'm seeing is correct). Where the upper part of the bracket goes is on the vertical surface of the motor mount. You have it on the horizontal surface of the motor mount.

Mine:
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help thumbnail_IMG_0925

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Undercloak frustration - Please help thumbnail_IMG_0926

Yours:

OP
OP

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
My initial answer is No, since the lower bolt won't line up. But since I can't look at mine to determine where my upper bracket is attached, I can't honestly say.

It would be great if there's a hole forward of where you have it attached now, but if you say it won't fit there, then I'm not sure. Plus, you're UCA is blocking the view. ;)
Working off my phone, here are a few more pics:
Had my son take some pics.....I think I found the issue (if what I'm seeing is correct). Where the upper part of the bracket goes is on the vertical surface of the motor mount. You have it on the horizontal surface of the motor mount.

Mine:

Yours:

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR