Warranty question

Rpk99

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65th Anniversary Wrangler
So I'm hoping maybe someone can answer a couple questions I have about oil changes and warranty.
First off when we picked up our wrangler the dealer told us it needs serviced at 5000. So I'm at 5000 but the onboard computer says I'm still at 40% oil life. So do I wait? Or do as the dealer said and change it now?
And the other question is...will I void the warranty if I do my own oil changes? Since I don't trust the dealer.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
So I'm hoping maybe someone can answer a couple questions I have about oil changes and warranty.
First off when we picked up our wrangler the dealer told us it needs serviced at 5000. So I'm at 5000 but the onboard computer says I'm still at 40% oil life. So do I wait? Or do as the dealer said and change it now?
And the other question is...will I void the warranty if I do my own oil changes? Since I don't trust the dealer.

Thanks for the help.
No it won’t void the warranty, just keep records/pics of the oil changes in the rare event you have some engine issues and they want to blame it on the vehicle not getting oil changes or some shit.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rpk99

There is absolutely no reason to do as you are doing.

There is no reason why a Jeep owner cannot do his or her own oil changes. FCA does not say you cannot do your own oil changes.

Sure, some nitwit Service Writer, at say a Penn dealership Service Dept. might imply that but .....

Do read this old post will give you more in regard to your question.... and how to document, etc.. The Excel file that guy made up is decent ....you can download and setup with your JL.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...k-of-maintenance-and-add-ons.4686/#post-94094

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I would change the oil at 5k. The first oil change should be after the first few thousand miles. It is considered a break in oil change. There will be wear particles in the oil.
When I worked the field for an oilfield company, I was in charge of a fleet of industrial engines among other things.
I had routine oil analysis performed on all of the engines and other equipment.

An oil analysis on a new engine would always flag high metal content and sometimes a few other things.
So yes, do your new Jeep engine a favor and change the oil at 5K the first time.

I change the oil on my vehicles and other toys myself as well. The suggestion above about documenting the oil change and saving receipts is a good one.

If the vehicle is new, I often let the dealer do the first oil change so that it is documented by them just in case.
If you keep a journal on the Jeep. Make sure that you note that the dealer did the oil change along with the date & mileage.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Even if I don’t trust the dealer, I much rather have them do the oil change, than have to deal with the fallout of having to prove that I did proper maintenance. It’s easy enough to double check that they changed the oil.

Oil change visits are not only recorded on FCA’s system, but appear on the CarFax as well. This will be key the day you decide to sell the Jeep.

For better or worse, we live in an age when, unless things are on the computer, they didn’t happen.

To me, that record on the computer system of the oil change visit is worth as much as the oil change itself.

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Definitely change the oil at 5k. There's no reason you can't do that visa vis your warranty, and it's good practice. Consider your diffs, too. I was absolutely astounded how gross my rear diff fluid was at 5k. Apparently these axles wear a bit more after delivery. =)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I keep the receipt when I buy oil and an oil filter. I write the date and mileage on it and toss it into a folder after I do the oil change.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Man, people have real trust issues and forums like these really don't help. You get a bunch of people together who likely have an axe to grind and of course it's gonna seem like the sky is falling.

Most dealers are fine. Get over it. Follow the manual for service timings and relax.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I keep the receipt when I buy oil and an oil filter. I write the date and mileage on it and toss it into a folder after I do the oil change.
I would advise scanning the receipts. Amazing how fast some receipts fade, some within weeks.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
There is defensive driving, then there is defensive servicing. I let dealer do the "free" oil changes and a few things here and there as a defensive/build-a-relationship move, in case of warranty claims. It also gives me a chance to check out how the dealer does on simple jobs.

Has always worked out well for me.

Sure it may be superfluous or just a placebo, but hey ....

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I would advise scanning the receipts. Amazing how fast some receipts fade, some within weeks.
I'm not too worried about it now that I'm outside of the powertrain warranty.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Thanks for the help.
What does your owners manual say? Follow that and forget about the dealership “advice”.

and, you can properly change your oil yourself in the United States without voiding any warranty. No worries there.

OP
OP
Rpk99

Rpk99

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65th Anniversary Wrangler
Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna stop by the dealership Wednesday to at least get a Mopar oil filter and then I'll do an oil change. Can't be that hard. Right? Poke a hole in the oil pan, let it drain, and slap some flex seal tape over the hole? Been doing oil changes a long time. Just never owned a new vehicle. Wasn't sure on the warranty. It may not show on FCAs records, but I do keep track of all maintenance on all my vehicles on Carfax.

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
No such thing as a "free" oil change. It is included in the price of the vehicle and it is a way to get you back into the dealer so they can sell you additional services. That said go back to the dealer and take advantage of the service, that you paid for, and let them do it. I bought my 20 JL in October and just had the oil changed and tires rotated at 5500 a few days ago. (I'm semi retired and WFH so it does not get a lot of miles on it).

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Man, people have real trust issues and forums like these really don't help. You get a bunch of people together who likely have an axe to grind and of course it's gonna seem like the sky is falling.

Most dealers are fine. Get over it. Follow the manual for service timings and relax.
I'm sorry but dealers have earned their reputation. My Dad was a Ford mechanic for 20 years, they let him go to hire a new kid at half the rate.
I've only had one good experience, that was a Honda dealer with a cooler recall on my wife's Pilot. I'm not even sure they changed the part.
Long story short, it's typically faster to change the oil yourself and you will always be more meticulous than any grease monkey at the dealer.
Save the receipts, log in the owners manual.
Sponsored