First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Whatever, I have used in my 4Runner to extract myself from a similar situation. It works and that’s what’s important. I don’t give a fuck about its software coding and I cannot say that with any confidence about a Jeep product.
Locking front and rear differentials and proper throttle control beat Toyota's crawl control any day of the week. All it's really doing is "faking" locking diffs and spinning the wheels very slowly to generate maximum traction.

This can be easily done with real locking diffs and good throttle control - with even better results.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
A great story is always better with some adversity. Everyone is safe, money spent can be re-earned. This will be a story that is retold by the OP for years and years.

I think that a recovery kinetic rope and some digging could have gone a long way in this situation. Using my kinetic rope, I have yanked F-350 stuck to the frame rails out of sand and watched it pop the front wheels of the F-350 into the air as it transferred the energy. I could easily be wrong too. The thing is most people will not lay on the ground in the mud to do the digging that needs to be done to free up a vehicle.

I am wondering what the total bill is for the recovery? Knowing the cost may motivate me in a similar situation to dig more.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
A great story is always better with some adversity. Everyone is safe, money spent can be re-earned. This will be a story that is retold by the OP for years and years.

I think that a recovery kinetic rope and some digging could have gone a long way in this situation. Using my kinetic rope, I have yanked F-350 stuck to the frame rails out of sand and watched it pop the front wheels of the F-350 into the air as it transferred the energy. I could easily be wrong too. The thing is most people will not lay on the ground in the mud to do the digging that needs to be done to free up a vehicle.

I am wondering what the total bill is for the recovery? Knowing the cost may motivate me in a similar situation to dig more.
Shovels and sweat equity are way cheaper than tow trucks ... LOL

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
I'm wondering this as well. If it wouldn't be too painful, what was the total bill for the recovery? My wife wants to do some of that southern Utah area and I know the sand and mud can be brutal. Trying to budget for all contingencies.

Thanks,
-Tim

Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door

Which rope did you buy? I’ve been looking at them.
7/8” or 1”?

https://yankum.com/kinetic-recovery-ropes/work-service-trucks/

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Sorry I've been MIA. I'm normally pretty active on the forum but there's been a little lost love for the jeep and everything jeep right now, lol.

A few people asked how much I paid for recovery. I was able to get in touch with a local family owned tow company in a nearby town (Page AZ). They are not a specialized off road recovery business, but they were very familiar with the area being locals. I ended up paying 500 for the first recovery (then tipped an additional 100), and 100 for the second recovery because they felt bad for me. So 700 total for two recoveries, though the first was significantly more challenging than the second. Keep in mind Page is by far the nearest town, and each way when you factor the offroad driving is about 1:15 minimum. So they spent somewhere around 6-7 hours coming to assist me.

The tow straps they were using (ropes), were not professional off road grade straps like the Smitty Builts my buddies and I had. They ended up snapping twice due to the pressure and force, resulting in a shattered tail light, a damaged rear bumper (fortunately it's just the plastic cover), and a few dents (local paint less dent removal feels confident he can get them all out like nothing happened). Total cost to bring my JLUR back to pristine condition, is going to be just around 2K including the cost of recovery, OEM LED tail light, OEM plastic rear bumper cover, and paint less dent removal services.

I asked my local dealership if they felt I had anything to worry about regarding the stress placed on my chassis from the multiple recovery attempts, and they said no. Curious if you guys have any thoughts about that.

Lastly, those that have speculated what would have and wouldn't have gotten me out. I'm not an expert, off roading is still new to me... But I'm honestly pretty skeptical any form of traction control, technology, boards, digging, and kinetic rope would have worked. What you don't completely see from the pics is the more you dig, the more liquified clay you are digging into, bringing in even more moist soil. Whatever "soil" you pulled out, would refill with liquified clay. Something I realized when reflecting on my mistakes, I'm used to assessing mud from top down, meaning rainfall. So if the top looks a little wet, then sure there is dryness somewhere to be found deep enough. But this lake bed is the complete opposite. the further down or more digging you do, the more liquified clay you expose. So again... I could totally be wrong. But traction for my jeep was 100% non existent, and traction for any vehicle attempting to pull was nearly non existent.

I think the best advice I've read and would repeat to anyone given the opportunity, "stay way from water in AZ and UT".

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
It's an expensive lesson, I think most of us have been there a time or two. That clay lake mud is an absolute nightmare, I lost a boot in West Texas to walking around Lake Thomas on cracked dry soil that was most certainly not cracked and dry a couple of inches under the surface...

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Locking front and rear differentials and proper throttle control beat Toyota's crawl control any day of the week. All it's really doing is "faking" locking diffs and spinning the wheels very slowly to generate maximum traction.

This can be easily done with real locking diffs and good throttle control - with even better results.
Doesn't the JL/JT have it's own version of CRAWL?

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
my advice, never go alone.
if two other jeeps were there, they could have trained you out for free. plus someone would know where to dig, etc.
if your phone had died you could have been there a week. eatin' mud to survive.

there are about 1000 reasons to not go alone.

Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
my advice, never go alone.
if two other jeeps were there, they could have trained you out for free. plus someone would know where to dig, etc.
if your phone had died you could have been there a week. eatin' mud to survive.

there are about 1000 reasons to not go alone.
Completely agree.

In this instance, it sounds more like 2,000 reasons ;)

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One

Perhaps, but which Wrangler has electronics they can trust?
I am talking quality. I don’t have time to fuck with throttle and braking over obstacle. That’s like riding dinosaurs in the modern world.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Perhaps, but which Wrangler has electronics they can trust?
I am talking quality. I don’t have time to fuck with throttle and braking over obstacle. That’s like riding dinosaurs in the modern world.
I have had zero problems with the electronics on my JLUR daily driving and on trails like the Rubicon, Fordyce, etc. Those trails are where real locking diffs are required - Toyota's IFS and crawl control struggle on those difficult trails.

Sidenote, it seems you don't have a JL and have no interest in one. Why are you wasting your time trolling a Jeep forum?