Sponsored

Sky One-Touch Power Roof owners - would you get it again?

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
My 2019 Sahara was wild hair that happened one day at the dealership. It was the Sky One Power Soft Top that made me drive it off the lot.

I would never take it through an automatic car wash. . It's not recommended they say.

I hand wash all my autos.

My wife loves the Jeep so much she took it. So I retired and ordered my Rubicon but with a hardtop. Purchased the Top-Lift Pro so 2 mins top off and stored for summer.

I just like the openness of the hardtop off over the Sky One.

Panels off with Half-doors 3.jpg

Nice Break.jpg
So the one touch has sides that are removable? Why is this never mentioned?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the rear side windows can be removed easily. The top rails always remain which doesn’t get a One Touch quite as “”naked” as a Jeep without SOT. 99% One Touch owners will tell you (including me) we’ll tolerate that permanent rail for the convenience of opening the roof at the touch of a button.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They come with a storage bag for panels. They show this on Jeep Website. Not sure why you missed it.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
For those on the fence of trying to decide about whether to go with the sky roof all I can say is you will not regret it. I'm finding in a very short time I'm using it far more than I expected.

For me it's the best and most practical combination of being able to immediately have the sky open on you and immediately close it up when need be without having to stop, store panels, etc.

Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Additional info: The Hothead Headliner is a GREAT addition. The black top will radiate our AZ heat in the cabin and is thin so it allows wind and road noise through.

I installed the headliner in like 20min, super easy. No problems folding top back. Quieted down the road noise and made it cool even sitting in a parking lot in full sun.

https://hotheadheadliners.com/products/sky-one-touch-headliner?variant=39284096532546

Jeep should have had this from the factory, considering the Sky roof was like a 4k addon.
Can confirm! I installed this this past weekend and it's definitely cutting down on the wind noise.

StormyMidwest

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR bright white (ordered 7/19/2022)
Additional info: The Hothead Headliner is a GREAT addition. The black top will radiate our AZ heat in the cabin and is thin so it allows wind and road noise through.

I installed the headliner in like 20min, super easy. No problems folding top back. Quieted down the road noise and made it cool even sitting in a parking lot in full sun.

https://hotheadheadliners.com/products/sky-one-touch-headliner?variant=39284096532546

Jeep should have had this from the factory, considering the Sky roof was like a 4k addon.
So I have a JL w/ SOT on order... looking at the hotheads site and they're asking for color preference. I know this is probably just to match your interior, but wouldn't getting black be spitting in the wind as far as sun absorption goes? What color did you choose?

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my SOT since Jan of 2019 and I love it, but you better get the extended warranty. The roof moving back and forth during this time wore some grooves into the aluminum rails up top and caused havoc. Screwed up the latches and the slave motor, etc. Price to repair.....$3,900 in parts. With labor probably about $5k.

Blendo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JKUR
So I have a JL w/ SOT on order... looking at the hotheads site and they're asking for color preference. I know this is probably just to match your interior, but wouldn't getting black be spitting in the wind as far as sun absorption goes? What color did you choose?

I have a Bikini Blue JLUR with black leather interior and went with the lightest grey. It brightened up the interior a bit and doesn't look bad against the bits of white hardtop you can still see.

The HotHeads piece is multi layer with sound and heat insulation in the middle. I don't think the layer of the headliner you actually see would make a difference.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my SOT since Jan of 2019 and I love it, but you better get the extended warranty. The roof moving back and forth during this time wore some grooves into the aluminum rails up top and caused havoc. Screwed up the latches and the slave motor, etc. Price to repair.....$3,900 in parts. With labor probably about $5k.
I will keep eye on the SOT. No grooves seen yet.

I added a video for you Mr. Stormin. :rock:;)

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I will keep eye on the SOT. No grooves seen yet.

I added a video for you Mr. Stormin. :rock:;)

Haha, you so funny.

The grooves may or may not have been caused by excessive mud and/or dirt getting in there.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, you so funny.

The grooves may or may not have been caused by excessive mud and/or dirt getting in there.
WHO meeeee. Never funny !!! ;)

Will keep an eye on it but that jeep has never seen mud on roof.

You still have not enlightened me why you hate Bruce ? I grew up with 70's Rock!!!

nmonson

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Just got a 2021 JLU last week with the SOT and I am loving it. I like the suggestion about getting a lighter shade HotHead liner to brighten up the interior. My SOT panel is black and after having it open it is definitely a "downer" when that black top comes forward and cuts off the ambient light.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I can see if you live in a state like AZ where it is hot, I could see it, personally I have no interest in it.

Just got a 2021 JLU last week with the SOT and I am loving it. I like the suggestion about getting a lighter shade HotHead liner to brighten up the interior. My SOT panel is black and after having it open it is definitely a "downer" when that black top comes forward and cuts off the ambient light.

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
In regards to the Hothead liner, I wonder if the trapped heat between the liner and SOT would shorten the life of the SOT top?
I remember something about adding insulation to the underside of a roof that caused shingle life to be reduced. Just wondering if the same principle would apply to the SOT?
Sponsored