4xe vs Ecodiesel... Help me decide!

StormTropper

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara High Altitude
Yeah but I totaled my Mercedes. I really don’t want a fast car for now. If they did offer the 5.7 L I would go with that.
Oh man if you get a 3.6 just out a pedal commander and Banks cold air intake and you'll be zooming
Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Oh man if you get a 3.6 just out a pedal commander and Banks cold air intake and you'll be zooming
Really? This makes a difference or are you joking?

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Don't talk me out of a diesel haha. I really want one practical or not.

StormTropper

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really? This makes a difference or are you joking?
The pedal commander really makes a difference on your throttle response, and the Banks CAI is the best in the market, both together will give you a whole new ride. And if you want more you can tune it to get the full feel but imo no need

StormTropper

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love the Ecodiesel engine, just check with your local regulations about what upgrades you can and can't do but some buds on the forums form Cali said it's limited due to the regulations. At worse you can for sure put the pedal commander which will wake up the throttle

Sponsored

Snazzy4xe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sahara 4xe
From experience, the 20 miles seems to be VERY conservative. In fact, now that I've had my 4xe for a few weeks, my full charge estimated range on battery is showing 31 miles. My work commute is from the bedroom to the other side of the house and all of my miles during the week are just around town. It's rare that I use the full charge on a given week day, but I'll have to put that range to the test one of these weekends.

As for getting a 240v outlet installed, I'm about to split off my dryer outlet and it's not going to cost anything more than the $80 for the splitter (plus the level 2 charger but you're buying that either way). No licensed electrician needed. Until that splitter gets delivered, the lengthy charge time isn't a big deal. I plug her in after dinner and if I have somewhere to go in the morning, she's either fully charged, or she's close enough.

I'm also 4 blocks from down town and there are multiple free charging stations that are usually open. I could easily make a habit of hitting them up regularly and not even charging on my own dime.

All of that being said, I didn't get the 4xe to save gas money/operating cost. I got it for the added power/torque and because after taking the tax credit into account I got a well optioned Jeep at a great price (not to mention a kick ass offer on my trade-in but that wasn't unique to the 4xe).

I got to take it off-road through some forest trails and sugar sand over the weekend. Doing that off the battery in quiet mode was interesting and gives you a better connection to your surroundings, not to mention better awareness. Some of those forest roads are kind of tight and as we came up on one turn, three kids came around from the other side, 2 on motorcycles and one on a 4-wheeler. I heard them coming so I had slowed down. They had no clue they were coming up on anyone.
Off topic,but how did the 4xe Sahara handle off road?...seems like every off road story starts off with...Rubicon was unstoppable at this or that...sorry for anti-Rubi rant...just jealous🤣

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So you are saying the bad reputations were spread by people reading reports. My experience is that it was a great engine. I won’t say that about the Mercedes 3.0 diesel in the 2007 Grand Cherokee. It was less than perfect.
There have been lots of issues with EcoDiesel when it first appeared on 2015-2017 Ram 1500; many of them were catastrophic failures. Feel free to google it.

FCA said that the EcoDiesel on JL was thoroughly redesigned. Which I’m sure it was. But issues have continued creeping up amid all the positive comments from owners.

So far I haven’t read of any failures of the sort that plagued Rams. But the engine hasn’t been on JL that long. Rams were showing severe problems around the 60,000 mile mark.

The only way I’d consider an EcoDiesel is if I planned to lease the Jeep; that way it becomes someone else’s problem at the end of the lease.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
There have been lots of issues with EcoDiesel when it first appeared on 2015-2017 Ram 1500; many of them were catastrophic failures. Feel free to google it.

FCA said that the EcoDiesel on JL was thoroughly redesigned. Which I’m sure it was. But issues have continued creeping up amid all the positive comments from owners.

So far I haven’t read of any failures of the sort that plagued Rams. But the engine hasn’t been on JL that long. Rams were showing severe problems around the 60,000 mile mark.

The only way I’d consider an EcoDiesel is if I planned to lease the Jeep; that way it becomes someone else’s problem at the end of the lease.
Haha even with that I still want it. Sounds like I have the same options available now since it looks like 2022s might not be available to order until September. Such a bummer.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I drove the 4XE, Eco-Diesel, and 2.0 back-to-back (no need for 3.6, I had that already) and there was a clear choice for us after that. even for my wife just riding along she said the same thing. unless they offer a turbo 6 in the future, or a 5.7 the Diesel is by far my favorite.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Off topic,but how did the 4xe Sahara handle off road?...seems like every off road story starts off with...Rubicon was unstoppable at this or that...sorry for anti-Rubi rant...just jealous🤣
She handled great. All Jeeps are very capable off road, but the tires that come stock on the Sahara 4xe are not great for off road but do well enough in the sugar sand. I probably didn't need to put it in 4hi to be honest, but it was the first time out and I wanted to try it out regardless.

One thing I might consider upgrading sooner rather than later is adding quick disconnects up front. I wouldn't have bothered with them anyway last weekend for a short drive, but trails were a bit too rough for my wife's liking. She didn't out right complain, but I could see it on her face. Disconnecting the front sway bar will help smooth that out, so I think she'll appreciate that.

When I say she handled buttery smooth in the sugar sand though, just.... damn. I don't remember my old CJ-7 being THAT smooth in the sand, it was good, but it was more set up for mud.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So you are saying the bad reputations were spread by people reading reports. My experience is that it was a great engine. I won’t say that about the Mercedes 3.0 diesel in the 2007 Grand Cherokee. It was less than perfect.
Correct. People reading reports with specific numbers of engines that were failing monthly, using actual data that was coming from FCA themselves. When people read those types of things, it's easy to see why the Gen 2 engine had a reputation that preceded it.

Were there people who had success with the Gen 2 EcoDiesel? Of course there were. That doesn't negate the fact that it's one of the worst engines ever found in a vehicle sold in the U.S.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Correct. People reading reports with specific numbers of engines that were failing monthly, using actual data that was coming from FCA themselves. When people read those types of things, it's easy to see why the Gen 2 engine had a reputation that preceded it.

Were there people who had success with the Gen 2 EcoDiesel? Of course there were. That doesn't negate the fact that it's one of the worst engines ever found in a vehicle sold in the U.S.
What would make me most nervous is not knowing how these EcoDiesels are going to hold up as JLs start piling on the miles. This is how EcoDiesel troubles revealed themselves in recent past.

WTX Diesel

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys Sport
I have one of the first EcoDiesel Wranglers released. Ordering it the day the banks opened, I received it in March of 2020. It’s got 28k miles on it and I took it through Moab UT, and several parts of Colorado during the summer of 2020. I’m running 38 inch tires and a 3.5/4.5 inch lift. It’s getting about 20.5 mpg with my style of driving. It’s very enjoyable, and it’s the best Jeep I’ve owned. Keep in mind, it’s had a few issues, and I’ve had to keep an eye on the dealership’s maintenance shenanigans…

When this Jeep is paid off, I’ll be buying the 4XE as my next Jeep, and will keep this one. I just wish it had a Diesel engine instead of the gas, but oh well. I’m simply wanting more electric range. Currently I drive 70 miles a day round trip for work. I’d like the electric mode to cover this at some point. Maybe one day a new revolution in battery technology will double the range…. With that being said, if I had a short drive to work, short enough for the battery range to handle of a daily basis, I would have waited for the 4XE.

1619614991961.jpeg

1619615037619.jpeg
Nice rig
Sponsored