Sponsored

What sunscreen (for your skin) do you keep in your Jeep?

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The sunscreen I keep in my Jeep made it on a list of products that contain benzene, apparently a carcinogen. As someone who smokes cigars I generally don't worry too much about such things, but in sunscreen that just seems to go against the entire point of the product. So I'm tossing it but I thought maybe there is a great sunscreen product out there that I don't even know of yet. I like something that works, is easy/quick to apply because of course I tend to think of it when I'm at a stop light, and is not greasy.

And yes, I have a spiderweb shade and it helps a lot but I still try to wear sunscreen if I'm going to be on a trail all day.
Sponsored

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
mini spray bottle is what i use. i think it's coppertone. The blue brand. I'll let you know if it explodes in my glove box in GA heat this summer

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
So you don’t look like leather 👍🏼

1AA2BA8B-AD53-44B7-A5F6-46E708868BA3.jpeg

6CA8D8FB-21C2-4FCF-B13C-FDE98F6663BA.jpeg

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I see it as a matter of balancing risk. There are many things that are technically "not safe" but are a lot safer than common alternatives. For example, it is technically "not safe" to travel on a highway in your Jeep, in a seat with the seatbelt on. People have died doing this. However it is safer than traveling down a highway in your Jeep without a seat belt and significantly safer than travelling down a highway surfing on the hood of a Jeep.

In sunscreen's case, it's unknown if the small amount of benzene in sunscreen poses the same risks as larger quantities of benzene. However the alternative of not using an adequate sunscreen has the well known immediate risk of sunburn and the long-term risk of cancer.

I'm not concerned about this new unsafe-thing du jour until further evidence is produced that shows its safety risk is worse than sunburn and skin cancer. Until then, it is performing the necessary function of risk mitigation.

Sponsored

Gfcronus

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go cart.
The sunscreen I keep in my Jeep made it on a list of products that contain benzene, apparently a carcinogen. As someone who smokes cigars I generally don't worry too much about such things, but in sunscreen that just seems to go against the entire point of the product. So I'm tossing it but I thought maybe there is a great sunscreen product out there that I don't even know of yet. I like something that works, is easy/quick to apply because of course I tend to think of it when I'm at a stop light, and is not greasy.

And yes, I have a spiderweb shade and it helps a lot but I still try to wear sunscreen if I'm going to be on a trail all day.
I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it. The amount of benzene and length of time applying it are significant factors in its carcinogenicity. You’d have to use a LOT for years and years. This reminds me of the saccharin scare of the 1980s.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I did some research on this a few years ago as I was picking sunscreen for my kids. After reading through the details of some of studies done, the list of sunscreens I would allow my kids to use was small.

In the end, in my opinion, the one sunscreen that came out on top: good long lasting protection without chemicals that are dangerous themselves or can convert to something dangerous (when exposed to things like sunlight or chlorine) was the Thinksport or Thinkbaby line.

Jeep Wrangler JL What sunscreen (for your skin) do you keep in your Jeep? 890397002790

My kids love it, willingly put it on and have not burned once since using it.

OP
OP

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
mini spray bottle is what i use. i think it's coppertone. The blue brand. I'll let you know if it explodes in my glove box in GA heat this summer

I wonder if that'd be an issue in the glove box if the top is off. I know the center console lid can get burn your arm hot, but I don't recall noticing the contents inside being abnormally hot.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it. The amount of benzene and length of time applying it are significant factors in its carcinogenicity. You’d have to use a LOT for years and years. This reminds me of the saccharin scare of the 1980s.
If you'd seen someone die from disease spawned by benzene you wouldn't say that.
Just lost a brother-in-law a few months ago. It was leukaemia that finally got him, and it was definitely exposure to benzene that caused it, but what he went through between living and dying was not for the faint of heart.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Thank you for posting this. I just checked my sunscreen and it's not on the list, but this is something to be aware of.

I have my doors off and top down spring through fall and am very careful of sun exposure. I have a Spiderweb shade and wear sunscreen, hat, and SPF shirt.

@Yogi, I'm so sorry about the loss of your brother-in-law.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
For diving or other watersports we use Stream2Sea. It works really well. I don't like washing regular sunscreen straight into the water, especially at the beach.

For hiking and such we usually use Neutrogena.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
@Yogi, I'm so sorry about the loss of your brother-in-law.
I appreciate the sentiment, but don't be sorry. He's way better off now than what the benzene exposure did to him.
I'm no medical expert but this is basically how it works ... by mutating your own DNA, benzene significantly reduces the body's ability to produce functioning red blood cells, and those that it does produce are often compromised so they do not work 100%. Over time it gets worse, and worse until ultimately it turns into a leukaemia that is so vicious they carpet bomb your entire immune system and bone marrow with chemo drugs in the hope that it will rebuild itself and you can continue on. There is about a 3% success rate.
It's a ghastly thing to watch.
I am well aware benzene is just about everywhere and @Gfcronus is correct that time and quantity are factors, but if you can avoid any amount of exposure at all, please do.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Jeep Wrangler JL What sunscreen (for your skin) do you keep in your Jeep? 1622665449077