First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This is true.

There are some folks on this forum who will intentionally provide bad advice just so that they can see carnage happen to someone else’s vehicle.

After all, it’s not their Jeep so what do they care?
I've had too many Sunday afternoon flat tires to wish it on someone that isn't deserving it.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Everything else is the same with those units vs the US ones correct? Is it just our regulations are stricter or the manufactures have to use a specific calculation here? Seems crazy the US versions are rated at 2,000 lbs less.
check for yourself but I recall reading that all trailers in euro have to have trailer brakes and other doodads that we just don't have to have in the states. In reading about what we have to have here is different in about every state, same in Canada too. So with these trailer rules possibly the vehicle is able to tow more. Again check.

My armchair opinion is that as long as you don't go too far over your weight limit, have trailer brakes, keep speeds reasonable, you will be fine. Go too far over your weight limit and get into an accident mr lawyer may be something you have to worry about.

I am going through the same thing in about 3 years. My wife will be retired and she wants to travel the country with a trailer. Having a jeep REALLY opens up what you can do and see. Good luck, in your decision.

Sponsored

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
For what it's worth I have an Australian delivered JLUR with the factory towbar (pics of mounting below). Stated specs per Jeep Aus are:

GVM: 2,562kg/5,636lb
GCM: 4,808kg/10,577lb
Max tongue download: 250kg/550lb
Max braked towing capacity: 2,495kg/5,489lb

Towbar is attached by 4 bolts through the rear crossmember which is welded to the chassis. If your rear crossmember and tow bar mounting are the same I'd say you're safe to tow what you're looking at. I've towed a trailer weighing 1,800kg/3,960lb behind mine before. Other than the noticable hit to performance off the mark it didn't really make a difference even at 62mph.

The other thing to consider is how likely you are to be pulled up and checked for weight. In suburban areas where I live it's unlikely but venture outside the city and there are some overzealous police/traffic inspectors who will check you at the drop of a hat.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 392: Looking to haul more than ass 20210602_133434
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 392: Looking to haul more than ass 20210602_133441

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
For what it's worth I have an Australian delivered JLUR with the factory towbar (pics of mounting below). Stated specs per Jeep Aus are:

GVM: 2,562kg/5,636lb
GCM: 4,808kg/10,577lb
Max tongue download: 250kg/550lb
Max braked towing capacity: 2,495kg/5,489lb

If your rear crossmember and tow bar mounting are the same I'd say you're safe to tow what you're looking at.
What is your JLUR’s max payload capacity?

Have to remember the OP is looking at 2 adults & 3 kids, plus throw in a 100 lbs WDH and it’s close to payload capacity before adding tongue weight

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
What is your JLUR’s max payload capacity?

Have to remember the OP is looking at 2 adults & 3 kids, plus throw in a 100 lbs WDH and it’s close to payload capacity before adding tongue weight
My payload is actually less than what you have at 570kg/1,254lb but it doesn't really matter what the payload is for mine. Legally he can't tow more than 3,500lb or put more than 1,350lb in his Jeep including tongue weight. I think his question was can he do it and if the tow set up is the same as what I have then I don't see a reason why he couldn't do it safely.

The big issue is that the people weight assumptions they use are way off when they do the ratings. Due to this you can either have a vehicle full of people and gear and tow a relatively light trailer or you can tow a heavy trailer and only have 2 people travelling lightly.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
Motor is rarely the limiting factor when it comes to towing, it’s usually the transmission, brakes, and suspension. With that trailer you would be a little over the limit but your Jeep would probably handle it fine. It’s just if something goes wrong and you’re sued you would be sol.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Everything else is the same with those units vs the US ones correct? Is it just our regulations are stricter or the manufactures have to use a specific calculation here? Seems crazy the US versions are rated at 2,000 lbs less.
I believe European models are restricted to certain lower speed limits while towing, so no running the Autobahn at 95 mph while towing your whatever trailer.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Less lawyers and liability concerns ups tow capacities.
That and Road Trains are a thing in Australia... I would guess their regulations on towing are more permissive than ours.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 392: Looking to haul more than ass 1622634654397

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
Tow capacity is the weakest link between Frame, Suspension, Braking and Transmission (the motor's power is irrelevant... sorry!), so I'm going to say the flexible (for off-road) suspension is the culprit here. No matter what mods you make to get around the suspension (again... my theory), you then hit the next weakest link. And even if you're ok, there, you've still got to contend with the stated tow rating if you ever had problems (accident (even if it's the other guy's 'fault') or if you're towing the trailer and have a mechanical failure... service department sees the trailer and they'll deny everything (even if the GPS stopped working... it'll be the "you overloaded it" scenario)). JL's are far better towed behind a motorhome than towing a travel trailer.

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
That and Road Trains are a thing in Australia... I would guess their regulations on towing are more permissive than ours.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler 392: Looking to haul more than ass 1622634654397
I bet they stop like a train, too
Sponsored