Sponsored

DIY Sleep Platform

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
So I finally got around to this project. My wife and kids don’t mind camping so it hasn’t been a priority. I’ve wanted to find a way to sleep in the jeep when traveling light (solo or only 1 kid) so I can quickly boondock / overland. The goal was a quick setup / take down, doesn’t rattle or shift & must store in the cargo area in case I pick up extra passengers. Oh... and doesn’t break the bank.

It was simple in theory but time consuming in execution. There are 5 panels that match up to make the platform. 1 rear cargo panel, 2 passenger area panels, 2 “filler” panels when the front seats are pulled ahead.

I have approximately 7” of storage under the rear cargo area. The platform is about 73” long x 40”-54” wide (narrows in the cargo area) x 8” high. I’m going to toss in sleeping pads and sleeping bags. Nothing fancy so there will still be plenty of space above me so shouldn’t hit my head (often) on the roof/sound bar.

(1) 3/4 sheet of plywood
(1) 6x8 outdoor rug
(12) 3/4 flange Steel Tek
(12) 3/4 pipe Steel Tek
(12) rubber chair tips
Wood screws
Black paint

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Sleep Platform 315EBAAD-570C-4DD6-8053-4756E5B72851
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Sleep Platform 64B103F5-6E97-434D-ACF3-A52B0444232C
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Sleep Platform D952E5FD-20BA-44DC-8562-6B073567A30F
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Sleep Platform 326F667E-AFBA-4C9B-979D-A855C893D8B3
Sponsored

Last edited:

Anonymous

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR
Looks good my man. I was thinking about doing something like this but I can’t stop thinking about a RTT and rack for some reason. Thanks for sharing!

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
So the second to last image of a panel with four legs in the air is one of the two panels that go over the folded down back seats?

That is some pretty excellent craftsmanship.

OP
OP
Shamus13

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
Looks good my man. I was thinking about doing something like this but I can’t stop thinking about a RTT and rack for some reason. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks. RTT's are awesome but I can't justify the cost. They would leave a lot of room for storage / gear though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shamus13

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
So the second to last image of a panel with four legs in the air is one of the two panels that go over the folded down back seats?

That is some pretty excellent craftsmanship.
Thanks

Yup they all have 4 removable legs. That one is the underside of the panel that goes over the folded seats.

They fit snug enough they don't shift but I will use toggle bolts to pull them together and lock them down to the floor.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Only problem, you cut out the tailgate bump, but you forgot to account for the future tailgate table! Get ready to trim.

Seriously though, even if you you don't put in a table, I always recommend for people that sleep in the back of their jeeps to rig the tailgate to open from the inside; it's super easy and worth your while.

It's great, you get to wake up, pop the tailgate, push out the windshield (if hardtop), drop the table, (if applicable) and start breakfast, all while technically still in bed.

There are some posts on the forum on it, and I've posted about it previously as well. You just pop out the rear panel and tie a cord or something to the latch assembly to be accessible from the inside. Let me know if you want details.

OP
OP
Shamus13

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
Only problem, you cut out the tailgate bump, but you forgot to account for the future tailgate table! Get ready to trim.

Seriously though, even if you you don't put in a table, I always recommend for people that sleep in the back of their jeeps to rig the tailgate to open from the inside; it's super easy and worth your while.

It's great, you get to wake up, pop the tailgate, push out the windshield (if hardtop), drop the table, (if applicable) and start breakfast, all while technically still in bed.

There are some posts on the forum on it, and I've posted about it previously as well. You just pop out the rear panel and tie a cord or something to the latch assembly to be accessible from the inside. Let me know if you want details.

I'll search the forum. I know I've seen a few posts. I think it would be handy and a good idea to have another exit in case of an emergency.

I thought long and hard about leaving space for a table. I decided I would have a camp table & meal prep outside the jeep. I live in an area that the black fly & mosquito swarms are HORRIBLE so want to keep the jeep closed up as much as possible..... That way the jeep is a safe haven from the blood suckers.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I'll search the forum. I know I've seen a few posts. I think it would be handy and a good idea to have another exit in case of an emergency.

I thought long and hard about leaving space for a table. I decided I would have a camp table & meal prep outside the jeep. I live in an area that the black fly & mosquito swarms are HORRIBLE so want to keep the jeep closed up as much as possible..... That way the jeep is a safe haven from the blood suckers.

Then I recommend mesh window covers for those hot nights.

After making my own cumbersome ones, I bought some that are basically pantyhose for your windows. Not 100% mosquito and fly proof with the windows fully down, but if you roll the windows only halfway, they'll keep most of them out.

Adds a bit of privacy too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shamus13

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
Where did you get the legs from? Or what are they made out of?
All supplies were purchased at Lowe’s. I used a brand called Steel Tek. Very similar to 3/4 black pipe & flanges but the ends aren’t threaded. Instead they use a set screw so assembly and disassembly is so simple. I cut down the pipe to lengths I needed with a pipe cutting tool

I imagine other hardware stores or online would work carry Steel Tek or a similar brand.

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Sleep Platform FB76FA5A-87D7-47CC-8221-E039AB47BC8D
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Sleep Platform D704D97F-63C5-48E6-B3C8-314D67FD60EE
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Sleep Platform D524E044-351E-4FD5-A200-1B9BC8908BB6

mal

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021, JK SPORT 2008
This looks great, thanks for sharing. Two things - 1) at 7 inches, how much clearance is there over the rear seats when foldered, and 2) any chance you can share the measurements?

cheers, M

OP
OP
Shamus13

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
Sorry I haven’t been on the forum in a while. Life has been busy.
I’ll make a drawing with rough dimensions And post it tomorrow.

I modified my rear seats so they recline more which means they don’t lay perfectly flat. Also I have the subwoofer. So use it as a loose guide. I used a large piece of cardboard and trimmed it to fit. Then used that as a template.

I kept the deck low so I could comfortably sit up without smacking my head off the sound bar / roll bar.

This looks great, thanks for sharing. Two things - 1) at 7 inches, how much clearance is there over the rear seats when foldered, and 2) any chance you can share the measurements?

cheers, M

Reactions: mal
OP
OP
Shamus13

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
So here are the “estimated” dimensions. Carpet thickness will make a difference. Also if you don’t have the subwoofer.

I didn’t include where I put the legs since I have altered the rear seats so they recline more. So that might make a difference to where you place the legs.
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Sleep Platform D6336BD7-7C9A-4B14-99FD-1F6B9C9A061D

OP
OP
Shamus13

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
The lengths I cut the pipes are as follows.
Cargo area: 5 1/4” (4 pipes)
Over rear seats: 6 “ (4 pipes) , 14 1/4” (4 pipes)

this leaves 3 1/2” - 5 1/2” of storage by rear seats. Again I modified my seats so they don’t lay flat. So 5 1/2 is by cargo area & 3 1/2 is by front seats.
Sponsored