Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The button is not even there on the 4xe:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help 2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe-hybrid-dashboard-carbuzz-779061

I hope it will let you zoom in, it's a photo I found online. If not I'll take a photo of mine...

It does not have Off-Road Plus. Its because its Plug-In Hybrid.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

but I also like that the HA has a smoother ride on paved surfaces.

----

1. How difficult is it to get in and out of the Rubicon? Has anyone added side rails to their Rubicon?
You can order the Rubicon from the factory with the Performance Rock Rails with Step. I have it on my Jeep and really like it - It is narrow but serves as a decent step to get in/out.

Here is an video showing before/after installation (it is also sold aftermarket).

As far as ride, are you sure the HA has a smoother ride than the Rubicon. I believe the HA has 20" wheels with thiner sidewalls, plus the Rubicon has slightly larger wheels. The suspensions are similar otherwise, so the Rubicon should ride better over any road imperfections, potholes, etc.

The only ride advantage the HA would have is slightly quieter tires (doubt you can notice) and slightly lower center of gravity, but that is not "smoother.

Good luck with your decision. Personally driving on pothole invested New England roads, I'd want the largest tire with the tallest sidewall that Jeep offers.

Last edited:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

My wife and I are putting in an order on a new 4xe today, but we are torn between the Rubicon vs. High Altitude trim levels. We’ve done a lot of research and test drove a Sahara 4xe, but wanted to ask some actual owners their thoughts. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Vehicle Usage
This is primarily going to be used on road in Denver, CO but I would like to take it off-road at least 2-3 times per year. I am leaning towards the Rubicon because I prefer the basic amenities and want the bigger tires, higher fenders and steel bumpers, but I also like that the HA has a smoother ride on paved surfaces. My wife likes the HA "standard" options like the color-keyed fenders and leather seats, which can be added to the Rubicon. One of her biggest concerns is the lack of side rails on the Rubicon and the ease of getting in and out for her and our children.

Questions
  1. How difficult is it to get in and out of the Rubicon? Has anyone added side rails to their Rubicon? If so, how hard are they to install and which ones did you choose?
  2. Are the off-road capabilities really worth the upgraded cost? I know the full-time 4WD is nice but what else is there (I'm not much of a car guy)? How much does the FT 4WD impact fuel efficiency?
  3. How much harsher of a ride on highway is the Rubicon? Is it a lot or barely noticable?
  4. Has anyone removed any of the Rubicon decals? If so, how difficult are they to remove?
  5. If you faced a similar decision, why did you decide on the trim you did?
Thanks for all the help, hope to wave to you all soon.
I ordered the Performance Rock Sliders with Step assist by Mopar. Here is good pic of them.

Rock sliders with  Step Assist.jpg

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
You can order the Rubicon from the factory with the Performance Rock Rails with Step. I have it on my Jeep and really like it - It is narrow but serves as a decent step to get in/out.

Here is an video showing before/after installation (it is also sold aftermarket).

As far as ride, are you sure the HA has a smoother ride than the Rubicon. I believe the HA has 20" wheels with thiner sidewalls, plus the Rubicon has slightly larger wheels. The suspensions are similar otherwise, so the Rubicon should ride better over any road imperfections, potholes, etc.

The only ride advantage the HA would have is slightly quieter tires (doubt you can notice) and slightly lower center of gravity, but that is not "smoother.

Good luck with your decision. Personally driving on pothole invested New England roads, I'd want the largest tire with the tallest sidewall that Jeep offers.
I have an HA and my son has a Rubicon. Ride on surface streets is much better with the HA and handling is nice and tight. However, when off road things flip around.. We went camping this past weekend and I had to lower the air pressure to 22 psi just so it would ride as smooth as the Rubi aired to 36 psi. I think the taller sidewalls of the Rubicon tires handles the dirt road much better than the HA.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Nobody regrets getting a rubi... but theres a chance u may regret not getting one
I talk from experience. Got the sahara altitude and kick myself for not gettin the rubicon. No clue really what i was thinking. Rubi is top dog. If your going to spend the $ why not go with the king?
no. first turn off of Rubicons for me was the HUGE branding, the obvious red and off road abilities that I'll never use. Plus they're everywhere, a victim of their own success. 🙂
Great if you need it , I'm 100% sure.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
I'm not a huge off-road warrior or rock-crawler, but I do have to trek to places where I certainly utilize locking axles and prefer a certain aesthetic yet functional look. The biggest deciding factor to me to pick a Rubicon 4xe over the other two was to:

Have 4.10 gears with lockers
Lower transfer case ratio
Raised fenders so I can run 35s without a lift
Wider (1.5") axles so I can run 35s without a lift and add stability
Keep the warranty without modding to get these things

To have those things without ordering a Rubi would have cost me quite a bit and likely affected potential warranty claims. To each their own, though, and I wouldn't dis the HA or Sahara although the tires/wheels I would have swapped out the first week with either of them.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
no. first turn off of Rubicons for me was the HUGE branding, the obvious red and off road abilities that I'll never use. Plus they're everywhere, a victim of their own success. 🙂
Great if you need it , I'm 100% sure.
You answered your own questions, for someone that will not be rock crawling or hard core of road there is NO need for a Rubicon. In FACT the Sahara with the optional Limited Slip DIff out perform the Rubicon in most off road conditions as the Rubicon Lockers cannot be used full time as well they are primarily for short straight driving (turning causes them t bind). Lockers are useless in snow whereas the LSD is great traction control.

I'm not a huge off-road warrior or rock-crawler, but I do have to trek to places where I certainly utilize locking axles and prefer a certain aesthetic yet functional look. The biggest deciding factor to me to pick a Rubicon 4xe over the other two was to:

Have 4.10 gears with lockers
Lower transfer case ratio
Raised fenders so I can run 35s without a lift
Wider (1.5") axles so I can run 35s without a lift and add stability
Keep the warranty without modding to get these things

To have those things without ordering a Rubi would have cost me quite a bit and likely affected potential warranty claims. To each their own, though, and I wouldn't dis the HA or Sahara although the tires/wheels I would have swapped out the first week with either of them.
your explanation is misguided... You talk about 35' well on a Rubicon 35's RUB at full articulation so a lift is still recommended

4:10 gears only benefit with towing and climbing for the most part or crawling.

Most reasonable modding does not impact warranty.

I own a 2018 Sahara with LSD as well as a 4xe Rubicon the only reason I did not buy the HA was I did not want the 20" wheels and I like the Rubicon hood (which I removed the RUBICON hood decals).

Unless you are rock crawling or pushing 3' of snow in a straight line the Sahara will be fine, if you are worried install a winch that will get you out of more trouble than lockers will

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
your explanation is misguided... You talk about 35' well on a Rubicon 35's RUB at full articulation so a lift is still recommended

4:10 gears only benefit with towing and climbing for the most part or crawling.

Most reasonable modding does not impact warranty.

I own a 2018 Sahara with LSD as well as a 4xe Rubicon the only reason I did not buy the HA was I did not want the 20" wheels and I like the Rubicon hood (which I removed the RUBICON hood decals).

Unless you are rock crawling or pushing 3' of snow in a straight line the Sahara will be fine, if you are worried install a winch that will get you out of more trouble than lockers will
Um, no, actually I'm not "misguided".
I ran 35s on a Sport with 3.73 gears and wanted more for on-road performance when on road.
A wider stance is not to be overlooked & full articulation is a minor/rare worry w/35s on the Rubi
The 35s are wanted for an extra inch of axle ground clearance. it helps without going to 37s
I like the look aesthetically of 35s and the road manors are minimally affected.
The lockers I need for getting to/from access to my place up north...I know I've needed them
I do tow (3000lbs and under) on occasion so I'd rather have the stouter axles/lower gearing
Yes, changing axles/gears and adding a lift can give problems at warranty time. It all "depends"

^-- This is based on my 40+ yrs of on and off road driving experience and building vehicles. The Saharas and Sports can run with Rubicons, sure, but there are some specific needs I have where I was in situations and thought "I wish I'd had ___" so I'm in the "better to have it and not need it" camp. It's my $ and my usage. Sure I could build it in the aftermarket and spend a lot more for little gain to be serious hard core off road, but no need; the Rubi is a good value for my needs.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Um, no, actually I'm not "misguided".
I ran 35s on a Sport with 3.73 gears and wanted more for on-road performance when on road.
A wider stance is not to be overlooked & full articulation is a minor/rare worry w/35s on the Rubi
The 35s are wanted for an extra inch of axle ground clearance. it helps without going to 37s
I like the look aesthetically of 35s and the road manors are minimally affected.
The lockers I need for getting to/from access to my place up north...I know I've needed them
I do tow (3000lbs and under) on occasion so I'd rather have the stouter axles/lower gearing
Yes, changing axles/gears and adding a lift can give problems at warranty time. It all "depends"

^-- This is based on my 40+ yrs of on and off road driving experience and building vehicles. The Saharas and Sports can run with Rubicons, sure, but there are some specific needs I have where I was in situations and thought "I wish I'd had ___" so I'm in the "better to have it and not need it" camp. It's my $ and my usage. Sure I could build it in the aftermarket and spend a lot more for little gain to be serious hard core off road, but no need; the Rubi is a good value for my needs.
The Rubicon is just what it is A Rubicon. Explains itself. That is why I went with the Rubicon.

Couldn't keep the little lady out of my Sahara which has an open front & LSD rear. I can borrow it if needed.

My limited knowledge is in theory, if both the locker or LSD are working as designed, once in a "locked" scenario, they are operating the same way (both wheels are turning at the same speed regardless of traction).

Again my limited knowledge is an LSD works well for slippery on-road conditions when moving, but shouldn't be relied upon for offroad conditions (especially from a stop) when one wheel doesn't have traction. The LSD will have some engagement for the wheel that has traction, but not much. The ability to get the wheel with traction turning is, well, limited (Limited Slip Differential).

Bottom line is all 3 Jeeps are good and you just pick which one you want.

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
Except reports are showing the 4xe 1" taller than non 4xe Rubicons it is miledly

I should start by saying I have a 2018 JL Sahara and a 2021 4xe Rubicon

The Rubicon is NOT top dog it is just another model... A Sahara with LSD rear will run circles around a Rubicon in Snow, mud/dirt, sand. The Lockers on a Rubicon are only good for short stretch use and assuming you are not making any turns. Otherwise The Rubicon just has BLD's. Now take that Sahara with LSD and add Front e-Lockers for $1800 and it is very capable. The only real thing that Sahara does not have that is exclusive to the Rubicon is Swaybar disconnects.

Below is my 2018 JL SAHARA 3.5" lift LSD rear E-locker front Rancho Quick Disconnect Sway bar links. While I cannot climb rocks like a Rubicon I can out perform them in most off road situations and I am also more versitile...

Look you can add Lift, Lockers, Gears, Rubicon Hood for about the difference in cost of a the two.

No one should be dissipointed they chose a Sahara unless you live in MOAB...

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help Rock sliders with  Step Assist
Well said

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
late the to party, but as one who went through the same nerve racking decision - I couldnt go with the rubi because of concern with high speed drivability. the Rubis we test drove were all over the place at 80 on test drive, for a first timer, down right scary. I realize many of you will run me down over this. first thing I will prob do is suspension to get some camber put in. We do not live in an area with great offroad options, so limited there. We do want to use the jeep to enjoy getting closer to the outside, and went with the duel top. Now why not the HA. Money was a definite factor, plain and simple. $4K for exactly same configured for the HA over the sahara. Plus, for me, the black roof goes well with the paint and didnt want to risk the damage to a painted roof while taking off and on. Doors are different, smaller and less prone to accidental swings. Each to their own. we hope to take a trip out west and do some lesser trails. But for us, this is really our last opportunity to own a jeep before we are too old to really enjoy it so there is that.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
late the to party, but as one who went through the same nerve racking decision - I couldnt go with the rubi because of concern with high speed drivability. the Rubis we test drove were all over the place at 80 on test drive, for a first timer, down right scary. I realize many of you will run me down over this. first thing I will prob do is suspension to get some camber put in. We do not live in an area with great offroad options, so limited there. We do want to use the jeep to enjoy getting closer to the outside, and went with the duel top. Now why not the HA. Money was a definite factor, plain and simple. $4K for exactly same configured for the HA over the sahara. Plus, for me, the black roof goes well with the paint and didnt want to risk the damage to a painted roof while taking off and on. Doors are different, smaller and less prone to accidental swings. Each to their own. we hope to take a trip out west and do some lesser trails. But for us, this is really our last opportunity to own a jeep before we are too old to really enjoy it so there is that.
I often wonder why some new Wranglers drive so differently than others. We test drove about 4 or 5 Wranglers before settling in the HA. In the end, it came down to ride quality and price between the two (HA or Rubi). The dealer we ended up at just had those two models available and we test drove both. The Rubicon wandered more on the road and required more effort to drive compared to the HA. And, there were other buyers looking at the Rubicon so the dealership was less willing to negotiate on price where they were willing to budge a little with the HA.

However, the Rubicon we test drove at the previous dealership drove fine. So maybe the difference was the road surface. Not sure. Kinda weird I guess.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
The HA is a great platform for better "off road" performance if you eventually want to migrate that direction. It has the same Dana 44 axles as the Rubicon and though it doesn't have 4:10 it does have 3:73. So it has the "wide" and stronger axles - a good thing. The Limited Slip rear works great and considering an e-locker for the front. Eventually when the bumpers get a bit mangled will see what the aftermarket can support. My HA has new wheels and 285/70/17 tires (same size as a stock Rubi)- it does GREAT at Silver Lake Sand Dunes. My primary "off road" playground. Went with the 17" wheels because I air down to 11 psi and didn't think the stock 20" would do as well on that and the wheels would get scuffed up plenty. I have the stock 20" wheels/tires for long road trips.
Sponsored