Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
For the second time in 5 months my 2019 JLUR left us stuck in a busy intersection and needed to be towed. We were stopped in the left hand turn lane waiting for the light to turn and the ESS was engaged, engine stopped. As soon as I took my foot off the break the engine died and got a service power steering light and beeping warnings. I put it in park and tried restarting but nothing. Once in park I could not shift again and had to pull the release to move it. So we sat there for about 20 minutes waiting for AAA to tow it to the dealer, which was literally right across the street from we were. Not fun.

I just got off the phone with the dealer service rep and he said the auxiliary battery failed and blew the fuse array. This is the exact same thing that happened before: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/auxiliary-battery-blues.64960/

I asked the rep what continues to cause this and what can be done to prevent it from happening again, but not surprisingly he had no answer. Both times this has happened with were "lucky" to be close to home and not out 4-wheeling or camping in a remote area.

This system is obviously flawed and is a safety issue. I have a spare fuse array in my tool bag but will most likely be purchasing a spare auxiliary battery as well. I'm considering going with a dual battery setup but any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
ESS is the next button I press after the Start button. I do not use it.

None the less, the system is flawed and can lead to dangerous situations. I hope they get to the root cause of things and get it fixed. For what it is worth, the aux battery in our Jeep was already replaced by the dealer when they had it in for a bad radio.

We bought our Jeep March of 2020. So the aux battery made it about a year. Not good on all fronts.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
This... I can't speak for others, but this old redneck learned long ago-- never shut the motor off 'til you get where you are going.

As a side note... I'd be curious of everyone who has experienced this type of failure, how many folks use it a lot vs. not at all.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
"This system is obviously flawed and is a safety issue. I have a spare fuse array in my tool bag but will most likely be purchasing a spare auxiliary battery as well. I'm considering going with a dual battery setup but any feedback would be appreciated."

I would advise you file a compliant on the NHTSA web site. If enough folks who experience this issue report it, the Fed's will "eventually" take notice. At that point FCA will have to address it, although it still may not result in the desired (owner) outcome.

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist

None the less, the system is flawed and can lead to dangerous situations. I hope they get to the root cause of things and get it fixed. For what it is worth, the aux battery in our Jeep was already replaced by the dealer when they had it in for a bad radio.

We bought our Jeep March of 2020. So the aux battery made it about a year. Not good on all fronts.
This... I can't speak for others, but this old redneck learned long ago-- never shut the motor off 'til you get where you are going.

As a side note... I'd be curious of everyone who has experienced this type of failure, how many folks use it a lot vs. not at all.
After the first time this happened I starting turning ESS off, but sometimes forget and this happened to be one of those times. This is also concerning since it was only 5 months since the aux battery was replaced and ESS was off during a lot of that time.

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
"This system is obviously flawed and is a safety issue. I have a spare fuse array in my tool bag but will most likely be purchasing a spare auxiliary battery as well. I'm considering going with a dual battery setup but any feedback would be appreciated."

I would advise you file a compliant on the NHTSA web site. If enough folks who experience this issue report it, the Fed's will "eventually" take notice. At that point FCA will have to address it, although it still may not result in the desired (owner) outcome.
Will do.
Thanks,

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
This is incredibly unfortunate. I ditched this rubbish setup about a month and a half ago and went with the @Genesis Offroad dual setup for this very same reason. Fortunately, I've never had a problem with either stock battery and didn't want there to be a first time. The dual battery system is highly recommended; it's well worth the time and money. Bypassing the auxiliary battery is also a viable option, but you're still dealing with the stock battery unless you've replaced it with an aftermarket battery.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Not a solution but the mini tazer can be programmed to turn off the ESS and keep it off
The Tazer can be programmed to "remember" the last state, or position, of the ESS.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RFR JLR 2.0

That's the chitts.... I'm curious, how often are you using the JLU. Once in awhile... driving it little?

Anyway, if you are not going to stick with the stock dual battery system, you can drop the $1600-2000 for a pricey aftermarket dual battery set-up that you will still have to watch over and maintain . IF you can justify the $1600+ go for it.. Again, remember... you will also have to watch over and maintain that set-up..

The other alternative that will cost you less then $20 is to just bypass the Aux battery altogether. With that, ace your bet so to speak and install a quality aftermarket, Main battery at $175.00+-.

So, for under $200, you can have a very good set-up that takes pretty much no maintenance and watching over. Only thing you would want to do since you would be bypassing the Aux battery, is to minimize or not use Stop/Start. You'd push THE S/S button or buy an adjunct that deals with the button push for you.

I have been running with a bypass (running with just the Main batterey) for geeeez, going on three years now and well over 30,000 miles with the bypass in play. Never any issues and even though I don't actively use it, my original Aux battery is alive and healthy... still..

If you plan to keep that JLU for a long while.... and you can justify the $1600+ for an aftermarket dual battery then do that... Most guys/gals really can't justify a set-up like that....Sure they can rationalize it out in their head that they need it, the expense is justified. 8-)

YOU, might just be better off dealing with what you have... When your JLU comes home from the stealership, next week, with it's new batteries... bypass the Aux and start running with just the new Main battery...

In closing, do know that you will undoubtedly be posting yet another... your 3rd.... I have been stranded thread...... if you do not become proactive... unless you do something...

Cokerat

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Jlu
This exact thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. I got towed home and switched out both batteries, it started up and I was able to park it in my long driveway. I woke the next morning and was going to take it to the dealership, but it wouldn’t start and the electrical kept freaking out. After reading the thread that melendez69 linked, I jumped the N1 & N2 like in my attached picture. It started right up and acted 100% normal. Went to the dealership (took the jumper off) and it was the same exact fuse yours blew.

022306FE-878B-4B98-B0D2-D3C0AD48462E.jpeg

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500

apply with the Feds to discontinue a system mandated by Feds on the carmakers to stop the earth from melting in 2 years (according to reputable scientists lol). yeah right, i bet they will get right on it.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
apply with the Feds to discontinue a system mandated by Feds on the carmakers to stop the earth from melting in 2 years (according to reputable scientists lol). yeah right, i bet they will get right on it.

SS is mandated the implementation is up to the manufacturer (eTorque is a different design approach) . If this dual battery set-up is a flawed design that poses a safety risk then it should be addressed.
Sponsored

Last edited: