Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect most people take the hood decals off so they can put on the name of their Jeep. You know "Bruiser" or something. For me, I'm just not a big fan of stickers on the hood, so I just took 'em off
Yea, understand if they put some personal name on their Jeep. Ok was just wondering.

Thanks
Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Yea, understand if they put some personal name on their Jeep. Ok was just wondering.

Thanks
Lots of owners of various brands also like to remove emblems and/or badging as well. It sometimes cleans up the look of the vehicle.

If I had a vehicle with decals then I might consider removing them now vs waiting for them to get all dry and brittle and cracked because it will be much harder to remove later AND there would likely be some ghosting on the paint below (the portion protected by the decal would not matched the rest of the hood with faded paint.

In that scenario....I would probably order a replacement set of decals and write some reference measurements for placement and then store them in a cool dry place just in case I wanted to re-install the decals later. Especially so for a Rubicon because prospective buyers want to see that on the Jeep. I know the decal doesn't make it a Rubicon of course but the absence of the decal might make it harder to find a buyer.

I purchased a used 2007 Rubicon for my son last month. (It was along overdue graduation/birthday/thank you gift). I passed on some candidates because it wasn't clear to me at the time if it was really a Rubi or not. Now I know how to tell, but back then I wasn't as informed.

Just something to consider on top of what has already been posted.

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
Hi all,

My wife and I are putting in an order on a new 4xe today, but we are torn between the Rubicon vs. High Altitude trim levels. We’ve done a lot of research and test drove a Sahara 4xe, but wanted to ask some actual owners their thoughts. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Vehicle Usage
This is primarily going to be used on road in Denver, CO but I would like to take it off-road at least 2-3 times per year. I am leaning towards the Rubicon because I prefer the basic amenities and want the bigger tires, higher fenders and steel bumpers, but I also like that the HA has a smoother ride on paved surfaces. My wife likes the HA "standard" options like the color-keyed fenders and leather seats, which can be added to the Rubicon. One of her biggest concerns is the lack of side rails on the Rubicon and the ease of getting in and out for her and our children.

Questions
  1. How difficult is it to get in and out of the Rubicon? Has anyone added side rails to their Rubicon? If so, how hard are they to install and which ones did you choose?
  2. Are the off-road capabilities really worth the upgraded cost? I know the full-time 4WD is nice but what else is there (I'm not much of a car guy)? How much does the FT 4WD impact fuel efficiency?
  3. How much harsher of a ride on highway is the Rubicon? Is it a lot or barely noticable?
  4. Has anyone removed any of the Rubicon decals? If so, how difficult are they to remove?
  5. If you faced a similar decision, why did you decide on the trim you did?
Thanks for all the help, hope to wave to you all soon.
Nobody regrets getting a rubi... but theres a chance u may regret not getting one
I talk from experience. Got the sahara altitude and kick myself for not gettin the rubicon. No clue really what i was thinking. Rubi is top dog. If your going to spend the $ why not go with the king?

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Nobody regrets getting a rubi... but theres a chance u may regret not getting one
I talk from experience. Got the sahara altitude and kick myself for not gettin the rubicon. No clue really what i was thinking. Rubi is top dog. If your going to spend the $ why not go with the king?
I think we would only regret getting the Rubicon once a month. The rest of the time we would be happy campers. :)

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I have the Mopar 2.0 Lift and I have 9.5 " from the tire to Fender with my Toyo 35's. That .5" not much difference to notice.
Except reports are showing the 4xe 1" taller than non 4xe Rubicons it is miledly

I should start by saying I have a 2018 JL Sahara and a 2021 4xe Rubicon

The Rubicon is NOT top dog it is just another model... A Sahara with LSD rear will run circles around a Rubicon in Snow, mud/dirt, sand. The Lockers on a Rubicon are only good for short stretch use and assuming you are not making any turns. Otherwise The Rubicon just has BLD's. Now take that Sahara with LSD and add Front e-Lockers for $1800 and it is very capable. The only real thing that Sahara does not have that is exclusive to the Rubicon is Swaybar disconnects.

Below is my 2018 JL SAHARA 3.5" lift LSD rear E-locker front Rancho Quick Disconnect Sway bar links. While I cannot climb rocks like a Rubicon I can out perform them in most off road situations and I am also more versitile...

Look you can add Lift, Lockers, Gears, Rubicon Hood for about the difference in cost of a the two.

No one should be dissipointed they chose a Sahara unless you live in MOAB...

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help Alta 1

Sponsored

michellini

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Except reports are showing the 4xe 1" taller than non 4xe Rubicons it is miledly

I should start by saying I have a 2018 JL Sahara and a 2021 4xe Rubicon

The Rubicon is NOT top dog it is just another model... A Sahara with LSD rear will run circles around a Rubicon in Snow, mud/dirt, sand. The Lockers on a Rubicon are only good for short stretch use and assuming you are not making any turns. Otherwise The Rubicon just has BLD's. Now take that Sahara with LSD and add Front e-Lockers for $1800 and it is very capable. The only real thing that Sahara does not have that is exclusive to the Rubicon is Swaybar disconnects.

Below is my 2018 JL SAHARA 3.5" lift LSD rear E-locker front Rancho Quick Disconnect Sway bar links. While I cannot climb rocks like a Rubicon I can out perform them in most off road situations and I am also more versitile...

Look you can add Lift, Lockers, Gears, Rubicon Hood for about the difference in cost of a the two.

No one should be dissipointed they chose a Sahara unless you live in MOAB...

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help Alta 1

the Moab made me laugh.. we were just there.... Seems like everyone has one

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The 2021 Rubicon has the 2020 Mojave Gladiator Off-Road Plus now. (Overland High Speed)

When Paired with the Select-Speed allows for Slow speed for Rock crawling or High speed through snow, deep snow, loose, soft sand, and muddy situations.

Off-Road Plus allows you can adjust throttle, transmission shift points, and traction control for peak performance through any terrain.

Snow, deep snow, loose, soft sand, and mud are not an issue for the 2021 Rubicon.

Off-Road Plus and Select-Speed two nice features.

They don't call the Rubicon an Off-Road Beast for nothing. Do I hear TOP-DOG?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The 2021 Rubicon has the 2020 Mojave Gladiator Off-Road Plus now. (Overland High Speed)

When Paired with the Select-Speed allows for Slow speed for Rock crawling or High speed through snow, deep snow, loose, soft sand, and muddy situations.

Off-Road Plus allows you can adjust throttle, transmission shift points, and traction control for peak performance through any terrain.

Snow, deep snow, loose, soft sand, and mud are not an issue for the 2021 Rubicon.

Off-Road Plus and Select-Speed two nice features.

They don't call the Rubicon an Off-Road Beast for nothing. Do I hear TOP-DOG?

That does not change the fact that lockers when you turn the wheel will break traction (they are great when driving straight) That does not help in snow, gravel or dirt where the LSD provides proportionate power to both wheels preventing slip. That feature has very limited use (mostly for sand where a little traction loss is OK to maintain momentum). There are plenty of videos out there that show the LSD Wrangler tackling terrain that Rubicon struggles at (because of the BLD). Look The point is all around road and 90% off road the LSD and especially teamed with a front locker is a more versitile combination. Rubicon is great for extremes but it is not the holy grail by a long shot. Since Locker use is limited most of the time Rubicon is just a high priced Sport for 90% of the time, Look that is OK, but it should not be put on some exclusive pedistal. No doubt Rubicons can climb like no other but for 90% a well equipped LSD Sahara or Sport is equal to the Rubicon. Again I own Both and like both for different reasons. The reason I went Rubicon on the 4xe (besides not liking the 20" wheels and Leather on the 4xe Sahara) was the Rubicon has the electronic Sway Bar Disconnect...

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That does not change the fact that lockers when you turn the wheel will break traction (they are great when driving straight) That does not help in snow, gravel or dirt where the LSD provides proportionate power to both wheels preventing slip. That feature has very limited use (mostly for sand where a little traction loss is OK to maintain momentum). There are plenty of videos out there that show the LSD Wrangler tackling terrain that Rubicon struggles at (because of the BLD). Look The point is all around road and 90% off road the LSD and especially teamed with a front locker is a more versitile combination. Rubicon is great for extremes but it is not the holy grail by a long shot. Since Locker use is limited most of the time Rubicon is just a high priced Sport for 90% of the time, Look that is OK, but it should not be put on some exclusive pedistal. No doubt Rubicons can climb like no other but for 90% a well equipped LSD Sahara or Sport is equal to the Rubicon. Again I own Both and like both for different reasons. The reason I went Rubicon on the 4xe (besides not liking the 20" wheels and Leather on the 4xe Sahara) was the Rubicon has the electronic Sway Bar Disconnect...
You don't need Lockers with the Off-Road Plus with Select-Speed. It takes away the BLD issue.
Off-Road plus take over the Jeep through Snow mud etc. No Lockers on.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
There is a great video of the off road plus with select speed going through a trail with no pedal input by the driver. It was pretty cool and did better in the case of smoothness than the driver.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There is a great video of the off road plus with select speed going through a trail with no pedal input by the driver. It was pretty cool and did better in the case of smoothness than the driver.
Those 2 systems together driver just needs brake use and Jeep runs with what the terrain is.

Just barely used it but have heard others talking about how Off-road plus changes Jeep.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I have a 4Xe Rubicon Currently on the standard 33 wheels. Added pretty much all options but smoking group (So I guess it is a "High Altitude" Rubicon). Added Rockslide Engineering rock rail/steps. Not too tall right now to get in without steps (6'), but at limit to do comfortably. Once I go to mopar 2" lift and 35" wheels, the steps will be a nice to have. Rides great on the road and is VERY comfortable.
Mind sharing how your install went with the Rockslide Engineering steps on the 4xe?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You don't need Lockers with the Off-Road Plus with Select-Speed. It takes away the BLD issue.
That is incorrect it still uses the rear lockers and binding and traction loss is still a by product of lockers, much less on the rear axle though.

Off-Road Plus allows drivers to drive at higher speeds — as opposed to rock-crawling speeds — with the locking rear differential engaged. With the push of a button, drivers can adjust throttle, traction control, and transmission shift points for peak performance at higher speeds, especially when on sandy terrain.

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
4xe does not have Off-Road plus

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That is incorrect it still uses the rear lockers and binding and traction loss is still a by product of lockers, much less on the rear axle though.

Off-Road Plus allows drivers to drive at higher speeds — as opposed to rock-crawling speeds — with the locking rear differential engaged. With the push of a button, drivers can adjust throttle, traction control, and transmission shift points for peak performance at higher speeds, especially when on sandy terrain.
I stand corrected.

You can use Off-road Plus for Low-speed rock crawling. Using the Selec-Speed control.

Set your speed and all you need to use is the brake. Crawls right up the hill. Basically drives itself.

ADVANCED CAPABILITY WITH OFF-ROAD+
Fine-tune your adventure with Off-Road+. With a push of the button, you can adjust throttle, transmission shift points and traction control for peak performance on higher speed passes on sand dunes or low-speed rock crawling.

Used it going up large rocky/muddy hill and set 2nd 1.2 mph and it drove right up. No gas pedal needed.

SSC Target Set Speeds

• 1st = .6 mph (1 km/h)
  • 2nd = 1.2 mph (2 km/h)
  • 3rd = 1.8 mph (3 km/h)
  • 4th = 2.5 mph (4 km/h)
  • 5th = 3.1 mph (5 km/h)
  • 6th = 3.7 mph (6 km/h)
  • 7th = 4.3 mph (7 km/h)
  • 8th = 5 mph (8 km/h)
Sponsored