Sponsored

Wrangler 392: Looking to haul more than ass

cook03tj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'42 GPW; '21 Rubicon 392 (Sold: '85 XJ; '03 TJ)
I have a 392 and everywhere I look it says the tow capacity is the same as the regular Rubicon Unlimited, 3500 pounds.

I have a 20 foot Geo Pro G19BH Travel Trailer I would like to tow with the Jeep on occasion, The trailer weighs 3,178 lbs dry.

We would likely be over 3,500 pounds with the trailer loaded and over the max tongue weight of 350 lbs at 411 lbs.

I do have a weight distribution hitch if that matters. Also there will be 2 adults and 3 children ranging from 3-7 in the backseat. We do have a trailer brake controller as well. No additional lift on the 392 but I am running 35's.

I used to tow my boat with my lifted TJ all the time when I was younger and never even thought about weight, looking back I was way over on the towing capacity and hitch weight.

I was hoping the 392 would have the listed tow rates higher. Does anyone have any opinions if the setup I describe above would be OK to do? Would it be unsafe? Would it damage the Jeep? Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Does anyone have any opinions if the setup I describe above would be OK to do? Would it be unsafe? Would it damage the Jeep? Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
Opinions may differ but I wouldn’t do it. That seems like you’re over exceeding what’s been determined to be safe vehicle operation from Jeep.

The 392 has seats for five and can pull but it’s at its best when it’s kept as light as possible.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
A beater half ton truck would do a better Job (more stable) of towing the boat than a Wrangler. The Engines and drivetrain could definitely handle the load but the suspension is probably the factor that limits the Wrangler's towing capacity the most.

OP
OP
cook03tj

cook03tj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, I have a '17 Suburban with a max towing package that we use when taking the trailer but there are some places we want to go that would be a lot of fun if we took the Jeep instead. I'll take the trailer to a scale when its loaded to see the weight.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, I have a '17 Suburban with a max towing package that we use when taking the trailer but there are some places we want to go that would be a lot of fun if we took the Jeep instead. I'll take the trailer to a scale when its loaded to see the weight.
Oh I understand, who wouldn't want to take the 392 instead? lol
I think the tow rating is the one reason my brother holds on to his Expedition instead of trading it for a Wrangler.

Sponsored

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
For the record, the towing capacity limitation doesn't really have anything to do with the engine. Wranglers biggest limitation is how the hitch receiver is mounted to the frame. Something like your suburban, if you look at the hitch, it's mounted to the frame wheras on a wrangler its on a crossmember, thus, not as strong

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
please post when you weigh it. that is one of the trailers I was looking at.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have a 392 and everywhere I look it says the tow capacity is the same as the regular Rubicon Unlimited, 3500 pounds.

I have a 20 foot Geo Pro G19BH Travel Trailer I would like to tow with the Jeep on occasion, The trailer weighs 3,178 lbs dry.

We would likely be over 3,500 pounds with the trailer loaded and over the max tongue weight of 350 lbs at 411 lbs.

I do have a weight distribution hitch if that matters. Also there will be 2 adults and 3 children ranging from 3-7 in the backseat. We do have a trailer brake controller as well. No additional lift on the 392 but I am running 35's.

I used to tow my boat with my lifted TJ all the time when I was younger and never even thought about weight, looking back I was way over on the towing capacity and hitch weight.

I was hoping the 392 would have the listed tow rates higher. Does anyone have any opinions if the setup I describe above would be OK to do? Would it be unsafe? Would it damage the Jeep? Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
I'll give you my former scenario when I had a JLU (non-392 but that doesn't matter here).

The payload capacity per the door jamb placard was 850 lbs.

Me, wife, 3 kids totaled around 750 lbs.

That meant that as soon as we all sat down in the Jeep, there was 100 lbs. of payload remaining.

If you consider that most trailers/campers are set up to apply 10-15% of their weight onto the tongue, and tongue weight subtracts from payload, that meant that we could legally pull 1,000 to 1,500 lbs. at that point.

Keep in mind that we haven't even accounted for camping gear inside the Jeep.

So legally, you can very quickly run out of towing capacity on a JL. <1,000 lbs. of towing means you realistically aren't going to be towing.

This is why the JT Gladiator became so popular with people who overland and camp. You can order those with literally 100% more payload capacity, which opens a LOT of doors for usability with a family.

Good luck...

Sponsored

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
The main limitation of the tow capacity with the Wrangler is the short wheel base. That is why with the same or smaller engine than yours, the Gladiator has double the capacity. It would be risky to tow over the capacity, but it's all good until it isn't!

OP
OP
cook03tj

cook03tj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the record, the towing capacity limitation doesn't really have anything to do with the engine. Wranglers biggest limitation is how the hitch receiver is mounted to the frame. Something like your suburban, if you look at the hitch, it's mounted to the frame wheras on a wrangler its on a crossmember, thus, not as strong
Do you know of anyone who makes a hitch for the JL that bolts to the frame and not a crossmember?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The main limitation of the tow capacity with the Wrangler is the short wheel base. That is why with the same or smaller engine than yours, the Gladiator has double the capacity. It would be risky to tow over the capacity, but it's all good until it isn't!
Naa. wheelbase has nothing to do with it. Jeep has made plenty of vehicles with short wheelbase and lot of towing capacity. Jeep KJ CRD is one that comes to mind.

Do you know of anyone who makes a hitch for the JL that bolts to the frame and not a crossmember?
Unlikely you'll ever see one due to how the rear is stuffed full of hardware.

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Nope. Don't think they are made. I believe the suspension sits in the way. Also doesn't help that the wrangler is on the lighter side. I wouldn't want to try and stop in a wrangler while towing 5k lbs without a trailer brake.
Things that in theory would help would be a weight distribution hitch, better rear suspension, trailer brake, regearing. But if something happens on the road and they see you're towing over the legal amount for the jeep, what's your defense? "Ryan on the interwebz said I could do it?"

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I'll give you my former scenario when I had a JLU (non-392 but that doesn't matter here).

The payload capacity per the door jamb placard was 850 lbs.

Me, wife, 3 kids totaled around 750 lbs.

That meant that as soon as we all sat down in the Jeep, there was 100 lbs. of payload remaining.

If you consider that most trailers/campers are set up to apply 10-15% of their weight onto the tongue, and tongue weight subtracts from payload, that meant that we could legally pull 1,000 to 1,500 lbs. at that point.

Keep in mind that we haven't even accounted for camping gear inside the Jeep.

So legally, you can very quickly run out of towing capacity on a JL. <1,000 lbs. of towing means you realistically aren't going to be towing.

This is why the JT Gladiator became so popular with people who overland and camp. You can order those with literally 100% more payload capacity, which opens a LOT of doors for usability with a family.

Good luck...
Been a big appeal but from what I've heard, still struggles and isn't fun to tow with
Sponsored