I’m stuck at lake Powell (page Az)

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Word to the wise everyone. If you see water anywhere in Utah or Arizona, don't drive anywhere near it. The mud is half peanut butter, half glue and a lot deeper than it looks. Often it doesn't even look like mud.

Something similar happened happened to me in Costa Rica years ago... the floor was moist but absolutely no sign of puddles... it was as if though I hit some newtonian fluid pool . I had hikers sandals on and as soon as i stepped in it ...if my foot wasn't attached to my body i would have just left it there never to be found ... because thats what happened to my footwear. I had no shovel so this would have been a walk in the park for me. Had to walk several miles to a small populated area to get a backhoe to pull the 4x4 out. On the way back even the backhoe got almost stuck.. the meanest red clay mud one could ever find.. at the end of day I took a shower at a hotel and found some of it in my butthole.. no kidding[/QUOTE]
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Word to the wise everyone. If you see water anywhere in Utah or Arizona, don't drive anywhere near it. The mud is half peanut butter, half glue and a lot deeper than it looks. Often it doesn't even look like mud.

Something similar happened happened to me in Costa Rica years ago... the floor was moist but absolutely no sign of puddles... it was as if though I hit some newtonian fluid pool . I had hikers sandals on and as soon as i stepped in it ...if my foot wasn't attached to my body i would have just left it there never to be found ... because thats what happened to my footwear. I had no shovel so this would have been a walk in the park for me. Had to walk several miles to a small populated area to get a backhoe to pull the 4x4 out. On the way back even the backhoe got almost stuck.. the meanest red clay mud one could ever find.. at the end of day I took a shower at a hotel and found some of it in my butthole.. no kidding
[/QUOTE]
About 1976 I was running a trail in southern AZ, and spotted a place where there'd been sheet flooding run across. Dived on the brakes and slid right onto it. Sank right up to the belly pan of my '49 Willys Wagon. Had to break out the e-tool and dig to get to the hubs, but once it was locked in 4 Lo, it drove out like it was on pavement. Had 10 ply mud and snow pizza cutters on it.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
Main thing is everyone was okay and no one got hurt. The rest is just embarrassment and money.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
This was a great weekend exercise. Lots of humbling self-deprecating lessons and the OP is all good. We’ve all been there, or at least some of us admit it. This is what makes it light, fun, and builds camaraderie. It’s what makes you want to help if you’re in range. @stylett9 Thanks! You probably won’t do that $hit again! LOL! You rock, dude!

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Glad OP is out, with no damage to the Jeep. Driving on lake beds with any moisture around is so unpredictable. It can go from firm to axle-deep sinking in a few yards.

Once in, only digging to break the suction and a good pull will get you out.

Did I mention I hate mud? I hate mud.

Last edited:

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
I had a similar situation when I was 18yrs old in my Baja bug, 74 super beetle back in 1996. Digging and a friends dad had a dually. Digging was key. The suction between your jeep and that mud is a bee-otch. And that would be me with the shovel, also it was the last time I let my friends try to convince me I can drive through that much mud.
0A86D9BF-8872-47D0-B44D-107798E74382.jpeg
FYI, this is in Lakeside, CA.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I have no good story but I do know that it is a huge relief when you‘re into a no-win situation and you get out of it by some miracle. congratulations and wash your Jeep! Glad you are safe.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
This is such a great thread on reality. It gives us all a chance to re-live our f-ups……….being young is amnesty though…..under 25yrs? Lol. I apologize, but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing a situation like this—nothing personal—-we’ve all been there. It’s like a Jeep off-road bad-judgement confession thread. LOL.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Sure glad this ended on a happy note, that second pic really shows just how bad this went. Hopefully your Jeep is running fine and no lingering issues.
Thanks for being upfront and honest about all you went through, I'm sure you experienced almost every emotion known to man over the last couple days.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Getting stuck, no matter where, SUCKS.

Do you know what happens to your loved ones when they’re broken down on the side of the road and they’re scared? Sometimes they tremble. Most cry because they feel hopeless/helpless.

Countless times I’ve been the asshole individual to stop and render aid (or offer aid) to a stranded motorist. In the city, it’s mostly early twenties men with flat tires and no idea how to access the spare and change it. On trails, it’s usually simple repairs or someone ran out of fuel.

At any rate, I’m glad some folks came thru for @stylett9 and he’s no longer stuck.