Sponsored

Odd requirements at a certain dealership.

Preditorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Oh the joy.

I had a 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, so I decided to get another Jeep Wrangler since I enjoyed my 2012 JKUR so much and missed it dearly so I decided to get another one regardless of the hit I will take on the Mazda. My wife at the time also wanted one, so it seemed like I could use this to get a better a deal. <- HaHaHa

She ended up with a '21 JL Sport S with lot of features like One touch sky roof and such, I found myself oddly liking the roof she was test driving and got a Willy's with it as well. They said they were going to work with me to give me equal equity on my trade to make the deal favorable. Thought that was amazing deal since it was a Mazda after all and those things do not retain value at all.

All was going good until they came back and said I "needed" to have a $6,000.00 warranty as the finance company requested it. I found this odd but did not care much as I thought out loud that I can just cancel it right after taking possession of the Jeep since I did not need it. The guy in finance said that would not work as I had to keep it for at least one year. Perplexed by that statement I showed hesitation to the deal as that was no small chunk of change to add to the out the door price, but desires about another Jeep already had me :/

I used my hesitation to get free ceramic window tint all around on both Jeeps since I really wanted a JL that day, and thought that maybe the warranty might come in handy, so I just got it.

After a few days I called the credit union and asked about that policy because it still bothered me and I wanted to know for the sake of knowing.

They said they have no idea what I was referring to and they, nor any other finance center that they know of makes requests like that.

So now I am perturbed, so I call the dealership back and inform them that there has to be some kind of mistake and that forcing the warranty on my contract made me feel like I was the victim of some shenanigans. They said that it was indeed required to make the deal and that I already signed the contract so there is nothing that can be done. I asked since my credit union did not require it, and that the contract does NOT say I have to keep it for a year, that I would like to cancel now for a full refund. These jokers flat out said they will not do that.

Now, me starting to get noticeably more upset I decided to end communication with the dealership and try a different method.
I called the company that held the warranty and said I wanted to cancel, they informed me that I had to go through the dealership to get it done, I explained my situation and to my surprise they were shocked and said that what they did was wrong as it clearly states in the contract that I could cancel anytime. The very nice representative filed it for me on my behalf and forced them to agree to the cancellation request.

Now, after months of waiting they finally sent an email agreeing to cancel it, but dang was it a stressful situation. I am more upset that they blatantly lied and misled me to get an extra $6k PER JEEP out of the deal.

The funny thing is, I buy a new vehicle every 2-3 years and planned on sticking with Jeep, but now I have to hunt for an honest dealership (If there is such a thing) elsewhere for my next one.

Oh well, their loss. I just feel that I would not be a good person if I let other potential Jeep buyers to fall into the same trap as I did, even though I should have known better... stupid temptation...

Don't know If I can name drop them, but beware of a Jeep dealership "somewhere" in south Austin, TX.

Also, what do you guys think? Is this a common thing now? I have never had a "good" experience at a dealership, its always been annoying or like pissing glass, nothing better. :(
Sponsored

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Wow! Not only did they lie to you about requiring an extended warranty they made you pay the highest price I’ve seen. I think my dealer came down about 40%-50% off their starting point to try and sell me one. I played along out of curiosity to see how low they would go and then declined.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Sounds like you got hosed, and would be better off with a different dealer going forward. There are literally hundreds of threads with good buying advice on this forum, and none of them would advocate the vehicle acquisition strategy you just described.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If any dealer even hinted at a $6,000 mandatory warranty on a vehicle, I'd walk out the door on the spot. The mere fact that they would try that on a customer is all I need to know about their integrity.

There are many good dealers out there. There is no need to deal with dealers like the OP's.

Glad you got your refund. Don't feel bad about the experience - chuck it as lessons learned for next time.

There is ZERO reason to buy even a legit Mopar warranty at the time of purchase. Take your time. You have the first year (or three years) to decide if you want an extended warranty. And you can buy it on line for a lot less than the typical dealer will sell them for.

Sponsored

Xenolith

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sport S, 6MT, 2024 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired Geology Professor
I don't know where you are in Texas but myself and several people I work with have been happy with Bonham CDJR.

Deleted member 53226

I'll bet they sold you that damn Zurich extended warranty (really a "maintenance plan") garbage the dealers try to push on people instead of the Mopar warranty. My dealer tried that nonsense on me when I bought my JL earlier in 2020. Sat me down with the "finance guy" and walked me through how amazing the warranty was, even has a "paint guard" feature for a few buck more.

I asked what about the Mopar extended warranty (I priced that online before I bought the Jeep for something around $1300 for 8 yrs/80K miles/100 deductible). He says they don't offer the Mopar extended warranty because the Zurich was soooo much better. They offer it because Zurich gives them a big commission.

Anyway, I humor the guy and he runs the numbers. He whips out a computer print out and explains it all so fast you can hardly see his lips move. He says, its such a deal it was 100 deductible and 10 years, and only adds $120 a month to my monthly payment (I did the 5yr loan from my own bank at the time). I said wait a minute my man, at 120 per month for 60 months, that warranty would cost me $7,200. He just kinda meekly said yes. I said no way I can just get the Mopar warranty online for 1300 with almost the same term of coverage. He wasn't happy but screw him and that dealer con job.

I got the impression he wasn't used to people doing the math and knowing what the Mopar warranty offered and the prices. The game is to wrap into the monthly and present it as just a few bucks more a month. People respond to that and say sure why not. In fact on the drive home my wife, who sat next me during this whole thing, asks am I sure I did the right thing by passing up the warranty coverage. She says it sounded good and what about the paint protection. I said don't worry about.

I later googled about the "Paintguard" and its just some crap they spray on your paint. The finance guy made it sound like your paint is covered under extended warranty. It's not.

Sorry for the long rant folks, but I just hate when dealers pull this garbage. Hoping this thread may put Jeepers on notice when they buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
He says, its such a deal it was 100 deductible and 10 years, and only adds $120 a month to my monthly payment (I did the 5yr loan from my own bank at the time). I said wait a minute my man, at 120 per month for 60 months, that warranty would cost me $7,200. He just kinda meekly said yes. I said no way I can just get the Mopar warranty online for 1300 with almost the same term of coverage. He wasn't happy but screw him and that dealer con job.
For $7200 you could probably get a new motor lol.

$1300 though, I find it hard to say no to that... is that still a thing? Hmm. Maybe I should look into it. Question is if I want to keep my JL that long ,lol.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Oh the joy.

I had a 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, so I decided to get another Jeep Wrangler since I enjoyed my 2012 JKUR so much and missed it dearly so I decided to get another one regardless of the hit I will take on the Mazda. My wife at the time also wanted one, so it seemed like I could use this to get a better a deal. <- HaHaHa

She ended up with a '21 JL Sport S with lot of features like One touch sky roof and such, I found myself oddly liking the roof she was test driving and got a Willy's with it as well. They said they were going to work with me to give me equal equity on my trade to make the deal favorable. Thought that was amazing deal since it was a Mazda after all and those things do not retain value at all.

All was going good until they came back and said I "needed" to have a $6,000.00 warranty as the finance company requested it. I found this odd but did not care much as I thought out loud that I can just cancel it right after taking possession of the Jeep since I did not need it. The guy in finance said that would not work as I had to keep it for at least one year. Perplexed by that statement I showed hesitation to the deal as that was no small chunk of change to add to the out the door price, but desires about another Jeep already had me :/

I used my hesitation to get free ceramic window tint all around on both Jeeps since I really wanted a JL that day, and thought that maybe the warranty might come in handy, so I just got it.

After a few days I called the credit union and asked about that policy because it still bothered me and I wanted to know for the sake of knowing.

They said they have no idea what I was referring to and they, nor any other finance center that they know of makes requests like that.

So now I am perturbed, so I call the dealership back and inform them that there has to be some kind of mistake and that forcing the warranty on my contract made me feel like I was the victim of some shenanigans. They said that it was indeed required to make the deal and that I already signed the contract so there is nothing that can be done. I asked since my credit union did not require it, and that the contract does NOT say I have to keep it for a year, that I would like to cancel now for a full refund. These jokers flat out said they will not do that.

Now, me starting to get noticeably more upset I decided to end communication with the dealership and try a different method.
I called the company that held the warranty and said I wanted to cancel, they informed me that I had to go through the dealership to get it done, I explained my situation and to my surprise they were shocked and said that what they did was wrong as it clearly states in the contract that I could cancel anytime. The very nice representative filed it for me on my behalf and forced them to agree to the cancellation request.

Now, after months of waiting they finally sent an email agreeing to cancel it, but dang was it a stressful situation. I am more upset that they blatantly lied and misled me to get an extra $6k PER JEEP out of the deal.

The funny thing is, I buy a new vehicle every 2-3 years and planned on sticking with Jeep, but now I have to hunt for an honest dealership (If there is such a thing) elsewhere for my next one.

Oh well, their loss. I just feel that I would not be a good person if I let other potential Jeep buyers to fall into the same trap as I did, even though I should have known better... stupid temptation...

Don't know If I can name drop them, but beware of a Jeep dealership "somewhere" in south Austin, TX.

Also, what do you guys think? Is this a common thing now? I have never had a "good" experience at a dealership, its always been annoying or like pissing glass, nothing better. :(
Did you send a copy of this complaint to Hq’s in Michigan?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I bought mine at Covert. They tried to persuade me into buying an extended warranty but I told them if anything is defective I will break it before the factory warranty expires.

It’s just the place where I bought it, since they had in stock what I wanted. I’ll likely never return there. The experience wasn’t of enough quality to get me to drive 75 miles, when there are closer dealers. More than likely I'll get Bluebonnet in New Braunfels to handle and warranty issues should any arrise.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Oh the joy.

This is a textbook case of fraud per the UCC. If they hadn't canceled it, it would have been a legit lawsuit.

As it sits, you should report it through Jeep Cares/Stellantis. Keep whatever paperwork you have at the ready. Grab some popcorn and a beer and enjoy the fireworks.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Oh the joy.

Let me see if I understand you... the dealership told you that in order to get a loan you had to add $6000 to the price of the Jeep for a warranty?

That is so illegal. Warranties are optional. Nothing to do with a loan.

And... How do you “cancel” something like this? The bank already paid the dealership the $6000 as part of the Jeep price, and now you are paying it back to the bank with interest.

Am I missing something?
Sponsored