Sponsored

What happens when the axle lock sensor fails?

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I haven’t read that it’s temp related but my sensor story went down like this -

‘20 JLUR. 1 year old with 5k miles. Drove from Phx to Coronado where I was going to be renting a house for a month. Hadn’t engaged the lockers for several weeks and that 500 mile all highway drive somehow triggered the light to come on.

Hopped on here and saw the threads that it was likely not gonna go away.

Super disappointed since I had just started the vacation but luckily it was only a light plus lack of ability to lock and didn’t experience any other issues as others have.

Got home and took to dealer, 2nd or 3rd one they had seen. Ordered me a rear axle and have been good to go since. Now just waiting for it to happen again…
I would recommend you pot your sensors asap! It was a very simple task to do.
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
It seems regear often triggering the sensor casing leak. Maybe excessive metal shavings from new gear? Or just hotter running temperature from tall gears?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
It seems regear often triggering the sensor casing leak. Maybe excessive metal shavings from new gear? Or just hotter running temperature from tall gears?
I don't agree with that statement. The majority of people who are failing haven't re-geared. I truly think it is luck of the draw.

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
I don't agree with that statement. The majority of people who are failing haven't re-geared. I truly think it is luck of the draw.
I agree seems random and can’t imagine the people that have swapped axles multiple times had re-geared or the dealer would not have paid for it.

Mine was and still is bone stock. I had probably engaged the lockers 5-6 times over the 12 months I had it before the light came on. I may pot the sensor as I get closer to being out of warranty but I’m usually not the guy with the screwdriver if ya know what I mean.

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just an update to my axle locker issue. I have not had the "service axle locker system" message. But it often shows the axles locked in 2H which isn't possible nor are they actually locked so I assume my sensors are on their way to complete failure. This started with less than 50 miles on the Jeep. The dealer doesn't seem to have any knowledge of this being a common problem or do not want to admit it. When I tried to tell the service advisor what I have found on these forums and others and the fact it is so common an aftermarket company actually manufactures a wiring harness to bypass the sensors he pretty much ignored me. The last time it was in they just performed a "factory reset" which helped for like a week and then they went back to intermittently reporting the incorrect status. I had opened a case with @JeepCares early because it was a new vehicle. My case manager had made an appt for me today with a loaner/rental. Of course today when I started it up it was reporting the correct status. I brought it in anyway, but when I got there, they had no record of my appt! Luckily they did not turn me away and accommodated me. When I got home I called my case manager. Despite me taking it to this dealer before, which is the closest to my home, and her having spoken with the service advisor there last time, she made an appt at a dealer an hour away where I have never been before. She wasn't very quick to apologize either - just said her system defaults to a preferred dealer and thats the one she called. She said she would ask her technical dept about the issues with the lockers whatever that means.

This is my first Jeep and honestly I love it but I just don't know if I can deal with this level of incompetence for service issues. I guess I will see what happens. I suspect since all appears well today they are just going to check the function and tell me they can't do anything since it is working currently.

My questions for those who have dealt with this before is assuming they can find no faults today;

1. Is it worth me continuing to try to bring it in for simply reporting the wrong status (locked in 2H) or should I wait for the service axle locker system message to appear.
2. Since it already seems like I have sensor issues I assume it is too late to try potting the sensors (based on the fact it happened the day after I bought it I assume it was too late the day I took delivery)

Reactions: TJP

Sponsored

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Its likely sensor(s) starting to go. If so its too late to pott. Whats happening to you is how mine started. I just put the zauto harness on front axle and it resolved the issue.

If you search my name I posted about how I determined which sensor was going bad.

Best of luck.

Just an update to my axle locker issue. I have not had the "service axle locker system" message. But it often shows the axles locked in 2H which isn't possible nor are they actually locked so I assume my sensors are on their way to complete failure. This started with less than 50 miles on the Jeep. The dealer doesn't seem to have any knowledge of this being a common problem or do not want to admit it. When I tried to tell the service advisor what I have found on these forums and others and the fact it is so common an aftermarket company actually manufactures a wiring harness to bypass the sensors he pretty much ignored me. The last time it was in they just performed a "factory reset" which helped for like a week and then they went back to intermittently reporting the incorrect status. I had opened a case with @JeepCares early because it was a new vehicle. My case manager had made an appt for me today with a loaner/rental. Of course today when I started it up it was reporting the correct status. I brought it in anyway, but when I got there, they had no record of my appt! Luckily they did not turn me away and accommodated me. When I got home I called my case manager. Despite me taking it to this dealer before, which is the closest to my home, and her having spoken with the service advisor there last time, she made an appt at a dealer an hour away where I have never been before. She wasn't very quick to apologize either - just said her system defaults to a preferred dealer and thats the one she called. She said she would ask her technical dept about the issues with the lockers whatever that means.

This is my first Jeep and honestly I love it but I just don't know if I can deal with this level of incompetence for service issues. I guess I will see what happens. I suspect since all appears well today they are just going to check the function and tell me they can't do anything since it is working currently.

My questions for those who have dealt with this before is assuming they can find no faults today;

1. Is it worth me continuing to try to bring it in for simply reporting the wrong status (locked in 2H) or should I wait for the service axle locker system message to appear.
2. Since it already seems like I have sensor issues I assume it is too late to try potting the sensors (based on the fact it happened the day after I bought it I assume it was too late the day I took delivery)

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Its likely sensor(s) starting to go. If so its too late to pott. Whats happening to you is how mine started. I just put the zauto harness on front axle and it resolved the issue.

If you search my name I posted about how I determined which sensor was going bad.

Best of luck.
So I need a taser to narrow it down?

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just heard from dealer. They are replacing the “4x4 module”. I’m assuming this is just them blindly replacing stuff? How is it that this is a common enough problem that the z locker harness exists but there isn’t a TSB or anything about it?

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes other wiring flaws throw ground faults causing that error, but generally its the locker sensor.

If they cant figure it out you could try one harness on rear, if that doesn't fix try on front. Maybe try to narrow it dowm that way.

Just heard from dealer. They are replacing the “4x4 module”. I’m assuming this is just them blindly replacing stuff? How is it that this is a common enough problem that the z locker harness exists but there isn’t a TSB or anything about it?
QUOTE="Rrr8400, post: 1521543, member: 65290"]
So I need a taser to narrow it down?
[/QUOTE]

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Next time it happens take a video of it, email that video to the CEO of Jeep and tell them there are customers that have had their axles locked going 60mph on the highway…very dangerous!

You will get an appointment to swap in a whole new rear axle shortly thereafter.

Sponsored

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Next time it happens take a video of it, email that video to the CEO of Jeep and tell them there are customers that have had their axles locked going 60mph on the highway…very dangerous!

You will get an appointment to swap in a whole new rear axle shortly thereafter.
And maybe send that report to the NTSB and maybe someday we will get an official recall.

Even though it isn't really locked in 2H at 60mph whats to say it couldn't if the sensor is malfunctioning

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
And maybe send that report to the NTSB and maybe someday we will get an official recall.

Even though it isn't really locked in 2H at 60mph whats to say it couldn't if the sensor is malfunctioning
I’d have to find them in the other threads but there have actually been two instances where forum members cited the axles locking while in 2wd and going 40mph or faster.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I’d have to find them in the other threads but there have actually been two instances where forum members cited the axles locking while in 2wd and going 40mph or faster.
I was one of them. To this day I don't know if it's because I had the Tazer installed, NOT THE TAZER HARNESS, which can allow engagement in 2H BUT I don't believe I had teh Tazer set that way. Regardless it locked and I believe teh other member did not have a Tazer installed.

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
So I got the jeep back with the 4x4 module replaced. So far it hasn't shown the incorrect status again but I full expect it to come back. @JeepCares called me yesterday to follow up. I explained again about the widely reported sensor failures that people have experienced and how it seems like the dealer is unaware that this could be the issue. She told me she elevated it to a STAR case and had the technicians there search their databases and they have no reports of the problem I am talking about -- i.e. that they have no reports of failed axle sensors on Rubicons. What BS. Also said they are unable to look at internet forums (gave her the links to this threads and others) and said they are limited to their own database. Funny since @JeepCares posts on this board. I guess I will see how long it is before I develop a problem with the sensors again and then will decide if I bring it back in again while it is incorrectly reporting the axle lockers status in 2H or wait until I get the service axle locker message. I am assuming since I already seem to have sensor issues its too late to pot the sensors.
Question for about the z-axle locker harness which I am wondering if I should get prophylactically.. does it actually remove the service axle locker error message? Also I know it allows the axles to function properly with the factory switches, does it also display the status correctly in the display or do you just know by feel whether they are locked or not when engaging them in 4L?

Reactions: TJP

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
does it actually remove the service axle locker error message?
Yes

Also I know it allows the axles to function properly with the factory switches, does it also display the status correctly in the display ? Yes

So I got the jeep back with the 4x4 module replaced. So far it hasn't shown the incorrect status again but I full expect it to come back. @JeepCares called me yesterday to follow up. I explained again about the widely reported sensor failures that people have experienced and how it seems like the dealer is unaware that this could be the issue. She told me she elevated it to a STAR case and had the technicians there search their databases and they have no reports of the problem I am talking about -- i.e. that they have no reports of failed axle sensors on Rubicons. What BS. Also said they are unable to look at internet forums (gave her the links to this threads and others) and said they are limited to their own database. Funny since @JeepCares posts on this board. I guess I will see how long it is before I develop a problem with the sensors again and then will decide if I bring it back in again while it is incorrectly reporting the axle lockers status in 2H or wait until I get the service axle locker message. I am assuming since I already seem to have sensor issues its too late to pot the sensors.
Question for about the z-axle locker harness which I am wondering if I should get prophylactically.. does it actually remove the service axle locker error message? Also I know it allows the axles to function properly with the factory switches, does it also display the status correctly in the display or do you just know by feel whether they are locked or not when engaging them in 4L?
Sponsored