Sponsored

Tesla adapter to J1772 would work on the 4XE?

McStatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
I had a Tesla HPWC (High Powered Wall Charger) for my Model X that I traded in for the 4xe. With the J1772 adapter, it worked on my wife's 2021 Pacifica Hybrid but would not work on my Jeep. During my attempts to make it work on my Jeep, I fried the HPWC... oh well. I ordered a new Level 2 (link below) and had that installed in place of the HPWC (had the electrician install an outlet versus hardwire for better future-proofing).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07THBGGMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just a note for anyone moving from a HPWC to a Level 2 charger, the HPWC uses 3 wires (positive, negative, ground). Any/All Level 2 chargers above 20amps requires 4 wires (positive, negative, ground, neutral) and therefore, my electrician had to run an additional wire to make the Level 2 outlet (14-50) work. I am not an electrician so someone may correct this, but this is what I was told.
Sponsored

aginoc

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Just took delivery of my 4Xe and tried to charge it using the Tesla charger in my garage using the Lectron adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YFY768S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

It was a no go - not sure why. But the car had a message saying there was an "issue detected" and the Tesla charger started flashing red (which I've never seen before). I had no problem using the 110V wall charger that came with the 4xe, so there's a compatibility issue with the adapter it appears (at least with my set up).

I'm going to look into a different adapter.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Just took delivery of my 4Xe and tried to charge it using the Tesla charger in my garage using the Lectron adapter

It was a no go - not sure why. But the car had a message saying there was an "issue detected" and the Tesla charger started flashing red (which I've never seen before). I had no problem using the 110V wall charger that came with the 4xe, so there's a compatibility issue with the adapter it appears (at least with my set up).

In am using it with no problem. now I use the stock charger that came with my Model S that is just plugged into a 14-50 wall outlet I installed and it works fine. However I bought a 15' 14-50 extension cord (RV poser cord) and when I used that I also got the error messages, took the extension out and it worked fine. these adapters seem to be very sensitive. My guess the issue is with the Tesla Wall chargers vs just the plug in tesla chargers.

I should add I bought my Tesla in 2015 the Tesla Charger technology may have changed.

Black96z

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Machinist, Applications Engineer
The chargers can detect the voltage drop of a shitty extension cord and will fault out. Also if the contacts in the wall or extension cord are loose, there will be a voltage drop. Its a safety thing. If there is too large of a voltage drop, there will be a lot of resistance somewhere in the line and something will get hot, and could start a fire. The chargers detect the static voltage and the voltage under load. If there is too much drop, it will fault out.

A lot of "RV" extension cords are not really the gouge they advertise, because an RV just needs starting current for the AC compressors and inverters. After they are going the load drops a lot. although they have a 50 amp plug, they will overheat if you really tried pulling 40 amps for a couple hours. Also anything labeled "RV" is usually overpriced cheap crap. If you go to Home Depot and buy some wire and the 2 plugs and build it yourself, it will work.

On the Tesla Tap Mini, you have to plug it into the tesla HPWC for about 10-15 seconds and then plug it into the car. The TTM communicates with the HPWC somehow and it has to do that before it connects to the car. If you plug it into the vehicle too soon, you get an error.

aginoc

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In am using it with no problem. now I use the stock charger that came with my Model S that is just plugged into a 14-50 wall outlet I installed and it works fine. However I bought a 15' 14-50 extension cord (RV poser cord) and when I used that I also got the error messages, took the extension out and it worked fine. these adapters seem to be very sensitive. My guess the issue is with the Tesla Wall chargers vs just the plug in tesla chargers.

I should add I bought my Tesla in 2015 the Tesla Charger technology may have changed.
Thanks for the input. Just to be clear, I'm using a Tesla wall charger. Not the corded charger that came with my car.

Sponsored

aginoc

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

So as a follow up, I purchased the TeslaTap 50amp adapter and it is working great.

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=99

I decided to buy the 50 amp version for an extra $30 over the 40 amp version - not sure if that is the reason this model works. I ordered the "regular" version - not the mini simply because of price.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Sahara
Anyone have any luck getting one of these Lectron Tesla to 1772 dongles after initially getting error messages? I bought one so I could use my at home Tesla level 2 charger to charge the Jeep. This is the Tesla charger that came with the car. I tried two different Tesla chargers, two different receptacles (50 amp and 30 amp), and all different combos of power on and off, plugging in adapter to cable first, adapter to Jeep first, etc. I have the same result each time- flashing blue light at the Jeep charge port after the handshake, and the error message on the screen of ‘issue detected, check external charging station’. The level 1 charger that came with the Jeep still works fine for slow charging.

Has anyone gotten this error and then found a way to fix it, other than returning and replacing the Lectron? Any help would be appreciated.

BA5D533E-D327-44D9-AE94-23587B9ACDDE.jpeg

98AC467A-5CA4-47CC-B3CF-25065C7EBC90.jpeg

3D0F84E2-5D94-43E4-9134-FA3930993686.jpeg

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE, 2018 Tesla X LR
I went the other way, I got two 40amp mustart j1772 chargers and use Tesla adapter on them. The new Tesla OEM mobile chargers max out at only 30amps.

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe
Just a note for anyone moving from a HPWC to a Level 2 charger, the HPWC uses 3 wires (positive, negative, ground). Any/All Level 2 chargers above 20amps requires 4 wires (positive, negative, ground, neutral) and therefore, my electrician had to run an additional wire to make the Level 2 outlet (14-50) work. I am not an electrician so someone may correct this, but this is what I was told.
Also not an electrician, but I don’t think this is correct. If your charger has a NEMA 14-50 plug, then yes, you need 4 wires: hot, hot, neutral, ground. If you have a 6-50 plug, then only 3 wires are used: hot, hot, ground. Any electricians among us, please jump in.

Sponsored

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "fix" -- more of a "workaround". I've found that depowering and repowering the Tesla charger cures the problem, at least until the next time the charger is used to charge a Tesla. Once it has charged a Tesla, the Tesla charger seems to need to be rebooted before the Jeep is happy with it.

as anyone gotten this error and then found a way to fix it, other than returning and replacing the Lectron? Any help would be appreciated.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Sahara
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "fix" -- more of a "workaround". I've found that depowering and repowering the Tesla charger cures the problem, at least until the next time the charger is used to charge a Tesla. Once it has charged a Tesla, the Tesla charger seems to need to be rebooted before the Jeep is happy with it.
Thanks, I’ll try that. I also received the below from Lectron customer service:

Hello, My apologies for our late response. We are sorry to hear that you had difficulties with our product. Please ensure you have done the following: a. After connecting the Tesla charger to our adapter, please wait 30 seconds before connecting it to the electric vehicles. b. If you are using Tesla Destination Charger or a Tesla Wall Connector and you see a red light blinking on the charger, please adjust the charger current to 40A or below (i.e. set the rotary switch to position 1-8). c. Please make sure that the charger you are connecting to does not exceed your EV's voltage rating. d. Please make sure the Tesla Charger is plugged into the adapter tightly. Should the above-mentioned steps not resolve your problem, please send us a picture of the Tesla Charger you are using and the model name of your electric vehicle so we can look into the issue and provide you more assistance. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to us again. Thank you once again for your purchase. Sincerely, Veronica

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Also not an electrician, but I don’t think this is correct. If your charger has a NEMA 14-50 plug, then yes, you need 4 wires: hot, hot, neutral, ground. If you have a 6-50 plug, then only 3 wires are used: hot, hot, ground. Any electricians among us, please jump in.

Your correction is correct 🙂

The NEMA receptacle spec determines the wiring, and the <dash># is the amps spec for the connection and wire gauge.

An N14-50 is a 50a, with 4 wire / 4 prong outlet, an N6-50 is a 50a with 3 wire / 3 prong outlet.

N14-50 is designed to be able to handle both 120/240, so you can use a single connection and supply both voltages through a single cable (common in RV camp hookups), N6-50 just supplies 240, and is all you need for an EV charger (and other things like welders).

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Your correction is correct 🙂

The NEMA receptacle spec determines the wiring, and the <dash># is the amps spec for the connection and wire gauge.

An N14-50 is a 50a, with 4 wire / 4 prong outlet, an N6-50 is a 50a with 3 wire / 3 prong outlet.

N14-50 is designed to be able to handle both 120/240, so you can use a single connection and supply both voltages through a single cable (common in RV camp hookups), N6-50 just supplies 240, and is all you need for an EV charger (and other things like welders).
Very true however the N6 was most common for welders, 14050 is not the most common 50amp connection and moving forward the N6 will become less common so for those trying to decide future proof and go with 14-50

tconno

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Anyone have any luck getting one of these Lectron Tesla to 1772 dongles after initially getting error messages? I bought one so I could use my at home Tesla level 2 charger to charge the Jeep. This is the Tesla charger that came with the car. I tried two different Tesla chargers, two different receptacles (50 amp and 30 amp), and all different combos of power on and off, plugging in adapter to cable first, adapter to Jeep first, etc. I have the same result each time- flashing blue light at the Jeep charge port after the handshake, and the error message on the screen of ‘issue detected, check external charging station’. The level 1 charger that came with the Jeep still works fine for slow charging.

Has anyone gotten this error and then found a way to fix it, other than returning and replacing the Lectron? Any help would be appreciated.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tesla adapter to J1772 would work on the 4XE? 3D0F84E2-5D94-43E4-9134-FA3930993686

Jeep Wrangler JL Tesla adapter to J1772 would work on the 4XE? 3D0F84E2-5D94-43E4-9134-FA3930993686

I got the same thing with 2 of the Tesla high power wall adapters and then the charger that came with my Tesla. I then put in the factory charger and then the stock Tesla charger again and it worked. It won’t work unless I plug in the factory charger first. What are you using now? I even tried my Tesla chargers at multiple amps.

ABD093AD-8167-4DCE-980C-6CEE69384913.jpeg

16F07253-86C4-4A20-9C01-88BC6AB3EC7B.jpeg
Sponsored