Sponsored

Improvements of JL by model year?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Interesting about the different back-up cameras on the 2021s? Are they brighter? I wonder if you have to get the front camera to get the newer rear camera? Or if all Wranglers get the new rear back-up camera?

Which relocation brackets don't always work?

Yeah, the diesel and 392 are huge. And now the plug-in 4xe. I like 2-door Wranglers. Unfortunately some these newer engine choices are not available for the 2-door.
One of the first things I did was to replace the back-up lights, and put bright LED ones in. Problem solved.
Sponsored

Jeepaddict76

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hmmm. I'm positive my '21 ESS has kicked on with AC running (using Auto mode anyway). I'll have to pay closer attention as it gets warmer to see if that's the case for sure.
I always use my AC on manual mode. I believe if it's on auto mode it will activate ess once interior temp is at desired temp. My previous JL would turn off every time I stopped if I forgot to hit the ESS button. I live in FL so my AC is running 90% or more of the time.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Go check out the back-up camera and 8.4" infotainment on a 2021 Grand Cherokee. It's excellent.

Getting more lighting back there definitely helps the back-up camera.
We have a '12 Grand Cherokee and the backup camera brightness at night is great while the JL's not so much, but that is because the reverse light on the GC is huge covering the entire bottom section of the tail light, which is is pretty wide, while the JL's reverse light is tiny.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
We have a '12 Grand Cherokee and the backup camera brightness at night is great while the JL's not so much, but that is because the reverse light on the GC is huge covering the entire bottom section of the tail light, which is is pretty wide, while the JL's reverse light is tiny.
I have the LED lights. The JL back-up lights are definitely weak. It's more than just the JLs weak back up lights. The 2021 Grand Cherokee back up camera is not only much brighter at night. It's MUCH better all around, night and day. The resolution seems to be much higher. The color day and night is much better also. It's definitely a MUCH better camera overall.

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I don’t know if this is necessarily a change but my 21 JLR V6 W/E Torque is amazing! It’s a rocketship off the line (fast) and gets 21-23 MPG. It’s silky smooth quiet and powerful...

Sponsored

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Coming from a 2018 JLU Sport S w/ manual and 6 cylinder, premium soft top and safety package (advanced wasn't an option then) to a 2021 JLU Willys w/ 2.0T, auto, both safety packages and sky one touch and the goodies that come with it, it's hard to make a direct comparison. The engines are different, the transmissions are different and I went from a soft top to - essentially - a hard top with a GREAT BIG sunroof (love it BTW!) I also went up in size on the U-Connect since the Sky One Touch includes the 8" navigation system (still use my Garmin Nuvi for the breadcrumb trail, and AppleMaps is just faster.) I went from dim halogens to bright, factory LEDs. Also, I never had any of the issues that other first gens had: no steering issues, no issues with ESS, etc. I did have one windshield crack (and a windshield on a Gladiator I rented....)
The standard vehicle has probably had some tweaks between now and then, "improvements" if you will (dare I say corrections?) The difference is in the options that are available now vs 2018.
The variable cruise control is part of the Advanced Safety Group. The standard cruise control (Sport S and up) is your basic set it and go cruise control that only maintains speed.
Sky One Touch on a Willys? I didn't think that was possible. Build and Price doesn't show that top as an option for a Willys.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Might not be available w/ some colors. I just tried it w/ hellayella and it won’t allow the SOT. Keeps changing to black hard top.

I also had to trick it to make it show: once on the Willys build page, choose your color then go and select the Sun & Sound Package. Then whatever else you want. Sometimes a selection will kick out a package, but you can reselect.

Check with your dealer, though. Build it now isn’t the most reliable or up to date. Example: Willys includes premium LED headlights & fogs, but build it now allows you to “add” the “option.”

Also, I have the Willys, not the Willys Sport. The Willys SHOULD be called Willys S, as it’s based on the Sport S. Willys Sport has a limited option selection, and doesn’t allow the Sun & Sound.

Sky One Touch on a Willys? I didn't think that was possible. Build and Price doesn't show that top as an option for a Willys.

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Might not be available w/ some colors. I just tried it w/ hellayella and it won’t allow the SOT. Keeps changing to black hard top.

I also had to trick it to make it show: once on the Willys build page, choose your color then go and select the Sun & Sound Package. Then whatever else you want. Sometimes a selection will kick out a package, but you can reselect.

Check with your dealer, though. Build it now isn’t the most reliable or up to date. Example: Willys includes premium LED headlights & fogs, but build it now allows you to “add” the “option.”
I was checking out a Willys thread and there were a bunch. I could have sworn they were limited to the Sahara and higher trim levels. Maybe that changed and I never saw it.

Jeez, I was sure I was going with a 2 door JL but now that I know that I can get this on the Willys (which is what my '16 JK is) I may have to rethink things.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
It might not have been available before. Might’ve been a MY 21 change. ‘Cause, you know, it’s Jeep! Jeep doesn’t do little cosmetic refreshes year to year like other brands… just sweetens the options pot.

I was checking out a Willys thread and there were a bunch. I could have sworn they were limited to the Sahara and higher trim levels. Maybe that changed and I never saw it.

Jeez, I was sure I was going with a 2 door JL but now that I know that I can get this on the Willys (which is what my '16 JK is) I may have to rethink things.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I don’t understand the complaints about the backup camera. My ‘18 is crystal clear on the 8.4” uconnect. Maybe there’s something wrong with y’all’s.

Sponsored

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
Everyone talking about the added gutter above the door... I was repeatedly told that rain pouring into the cabin was "a jeep thing", and that I wasn't allowed to care about that. So I'm confused as to why such an improvement would have been made.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, that's a nice change. It's good to see that at least some of the little things are getting some attention and being fixed.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Very little has been done to improve the JL since it came out. Aside from the steering gear fix the only changes have been option list additions and regular price increases...

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I don’t know if this is necessarily a change but my 21 JLR V6 W/E Torque is amazing! It’s a rocketship off the line (fast) and gets 21-23 MPG. It’s silky smooth quiet and powerful...
Not mine but I guess it goes enough. lol

We’ll see how it does loaded up at 10,000ft + elevation this Summer.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Everyone talking about the added gutter above the door... I was repeatedly told that rain pouring into the cabin was "a jeep thing", and that I wasn't allowed to care about that. So I'm confused as to why such an improvement would have been made.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, that's a nice change. It's good to see that at least some of the little things are getting some attention and being fixed.
And you’d think it would retrofit.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hi, traded my 2018 for a '21 earlier this month, bunch of little undocumented things I've noticed that seem to be new to THIS model year / are unrelated to TSBs, recalls, etc.:
  • More foam insulation under the hood and around the windshield frame - including some new rubber channeling around the top of the front doors, that seem to help keep the rain out
  • Improvements to the way the interior trim clips in around the B-pillars and door sills, which is welcome because this was always popping out on my old one (discovered this while wiring my dash cam)
  • At least one extra USB port in the backseat
  • Hardtop panel bag is redesigned with extra room in the corners, which makes it easier to zip
  • Backup camera is MUCH better at night, and the guidelines / angles are improved (apparently this may require the front camera...?)
  • Overall road noise, handling, etc, fit and finish seems to be overall improved, even vs. my 2018 once it had the steel steering box installed. They just seem to have some of the kinks worked out.
My 2020 has 4 usb's in the back. 2 USB-A's and 2 USB-C's. Does the 2021 have 5?
Sponsored