Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So a little before and after, swapped out the grille for a black grille. Had the same look on my last Gecko and it really made the green pop.
59A98705-161C-4C4C-BF68-BCE69F1B325D.jpeg
Bright green and black looks great!

I would paint the grille surrounds to match; it will make the front look more finished and the gecko green pop even more.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fist Look at Gecko JL Wrangler 1621971375433
Sponsored

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
So a little before and after, swapped out the grille for a black grille. Had the same look on my last Gecko and it really made the green pop.

16C34185-3E0C-4BE4-A048-AD970BB653E1.jpeg

59A98705-161C-4C4C-BF68-BCE69F1B325D.jpeg
I love that look but going the same direction as you, order with the Gecko grill and swap after, seems easier to get a black grill after the fact than a matching Gecko one.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
Bright green and black looks great!

I would paint the grille surrounds to match; it will make the front look more finished and the gecko green pop even more.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fist Look at Gecko JL Wrangler 1621971375433
No need to paint. The original green grille has detachable surrounds that should mount to the new one (if it’s a Mopar grille, if not maybe they’re not detachable on the black one).

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No need to paint. The original green grille has detachable surrounds that should mount to the new one (if it’s a Mopar grille, if not maybe they’re not detachable on the black one).
Sahara and Rubicon grilles have the detachable surrounds; Sport and Willys are one-piece.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I love that look but going the same direction as you, order with the Gecko grill and swap after, seems easier to get a black grill after the fact than a matching Gecko one.
I was thinking the same thing with the grill and just ended up ordering the matte black from the factory, looking at it now I might’ve done it after the fact to have the original gecko colored one as well, but I don’t really regret doing it this way

Sponsored

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara and Rubicon grilles have the detachable surrounds; Sport and Willys are one-piece.
Interesting. Looks like OP has a Sahara so he should still have the gecko surround available.

DVLDOG-USMC

First Name
CL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko Green JLU & 2014 Dodge Challenger
Interesting. Looks like OP has a Sahara so he should still have the gecko surround available.
It is a Sahara Altitude edition, the original grille has the removable surround. I ordered the black Mopar grille but it does not have the removable surround unfortunately!! That would look really good. I should have looked to see if the Mopar grille was for a Sahara or Rubicon.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is a Sahara Altitude edition, the original grille has the removable surround. I ordered the black Mopar grille but it does not have the removable surround unfortunately!! That would look really good. I should have looked to see if the Mopar grille was for a Sahara or Rubicon.
Oh weird, thanks for the heads up about this because I’m planning to do the same but definitely want the body color surrounds on mine. Now I’ll know to confirm the surrounds are removable before I buy.

did you order your grill online or at the dealer parts department?

Rcarpen22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘67 CJ5, ‘20 JLU
Looks great! Is this still the only gecko JL in existence? I haven’t seen pics of any others.

DVLDOG-USMC

First Name
CL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh weird, thanks for the heads up about this because I’m planning to do the same but definitely want the body color surrounds on mine. Now I’ll know to confirm the surrounds are removable before I buy.

did you order your grill online or at the dealer parts department?
Ok so I’m an idiot! Just read the directions on the new grille and I have to remove the existing clips from the original grille. I’ll do that later and put up a picture.

Sponsored

DVLDOG-USMC

First Name
CL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great! Is this still the only gecko JL in existence? I haven’t seen pics of any others.
I have not seen any others out there yet The dealer told me this was the only 1 to come out of the factory so far. I did see a post in a Facebook group that said there was another out there but have not seen it.

Aubie4Pres

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko 4xe Rubicon
I have not seen any others out there yet The dealer told me this was the only 1 to come out of the factory so far. I did see a post in a Facebook group that said there was another out there but have not seen it.
Always fun to be the first. I placed an order this week for gecko JLUR 4xe. For now I must continue to comb over your pics repeatedly.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so I’m an idiot! Just read the directions on the new grille and I have to remove the existing clips from the original grille. I’ll do that later and put up a picture.
Thanks for letting me learn from you, as I likely would have sent mine back countless times complaining it was the wrong part.

I'm "smart" like that sometimes. 😉

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to make my gecko or sting gray decision today, so I appreciate as many photos as you’re willing to post :) still seems like you’re the only person out here with an actual JL in gecko!

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to make my gecko or sting gray decision today, so I appreciate as many photos as you’re willing to post :) still seems like you’re the only person out here with an actual JL in gecko!
I feel the same pressure, like if I don't pull the trigger soon I'll either be stuck waiting for the next color I want or going with Hydro....
Sponsored