JL resale values are insane!

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
I sold my 2018 JLU Sport S w/ 46k miles to Carvana for the same price I paid for it in 2018. Was $5k over trade-in. Ordered a JT Mojave and got 8.8% under invoice including a $1k rebate.

Vroom was slightly higher, but after reading reviews Carvana seemed much easier and they handed me a check on the spot before really looking at my Jeep. They didn't even bother to start it.
Sponsored

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
My Jeep dealer offered me $34K in trade in for my 2018 JLUS with 18K miles.

They were wanting to put me in a new 2021 Rubicon for less a month than I am currently paying.

Very tempting, but we are under massive job cuts at work. I could pay off the rest of my 2018 auto loan if I had to. So I am not trading in at this time.

My youngest is 6. So in 10 years I want to hand him the keys to my vehicle. I'm going to sit this one out and replace my Jeep with a new model in 3-4 years which I will then give to him when he is 16. I'd rather be handing over a 6-7 year old vehicle than a 10 year vehicle as I'd hope to extend it through college.

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This thread popped up few weeks back as one of the popular post for the week email updates. I read a few posts and decided to check what my 19 Rubi current value. It then lead to some other discussion regarding the 4XE (had no idea it was available/out). Less than two weeks later, traded the 19 for a 4XE.

Purchasing dealer gave me the highest trade in amount and the tax savings between selling outright and trade was huge. Vroom, Carvana etc quoted 47-48 while dealer quoted 51, ended up aroud 6k difference once you take sales tax tradeoff. The 19 was purchased for ~$48k new (59k MSRP) so a net profit.

Does seem like the Sky One Touch didn't account for much value with the buying companies compared to dealer seeing the trade in person with all the added options.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Problem is if you sell your Jeep now, what are you going to buy and will you have to buy high? I would not sell my Jeep unless I really needed the money for something else, and did not need a vehicle in the mean time, or already had a beater to drive. Neither for me, thanks. If you are selling just to make a few extra hundred or even thousand dollars, you will actually spend more getting something else..... KEEP the JEEP!!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Well.

My Carvana offer is exactly $5K higher than the sticker price.
The Vroom offer is almost exactly the sticker price.

I'm not interested in selling or trading, but this is eye-opening nonetheless.

Sponsored

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
Problem is if you sell your Jeep now, what are you going to buy and will you have to buy high? I would not sell my Jeep unless I really needed the money for something else, and did not need a vehicle in the mean time, or already had a beater to drive. Neither for me, thanks. If you are selling just to make a few extra hundred or even thousand dollars, you will actually spend more getting something else..... KEEP the JEEP!!
'
Order a new one at 5%+ under invoice. That's what I did. Got price I paid on a 2018 originally and timed the sale to Carvana with a new JTM that was coming in. Had a nice down payment for the JT, new and under warranty again. Crap, no JLU anymore. Am I allowed to keep posting on the JL forum?

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Are these all Rubicons? I put my 21 sport-S with 8k in there and got a ridiculously low quote back. :-(

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Are these all Rubicons? I put my 21 sport-S with 8k in there and got a ridiculously low quote back. :-(
Mine is a Sport, and I was offered $5K above sticker.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have an '18 Sport S JLU and was offered just under what I paid for it. Three years ago. It's crazy. But I'm not selling. I don't wanna go back through the buying process to be honest, and <fingers crossed> I feel like I have a "good one" because I haven't really had any issues.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I just looked mine up and despite hitting 60k on the odometer and the warranty now being gone, I'd get a grand back from what I paid. However, a good portion of the Jeep isn't stock anymore, so I wouldn't get any of that cost back.

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
The used market is insane. We traded in our van for the JLURD. They offered us $1,500 less than we paid for it 2 years ago and have it listed on the lost for $1,500 more than we paid originally. A new van is only 2k more at msrp so I'm not sure who the buyer is that wants a used vehicle at a higher finance rate than new.🤷‍♂️

Luckily we found a dealer offering 7% off msrp so I didn't feel too bad buying a new car in this market.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Who drives a stock jeep for years with no mods? Man, I could not wait to change it.

Soliex

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 3.6
Can Confirm, Just bought my very first Jeep on 5/13/21 It's a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport 3.6 with the below options and 29.3k Miles (Sticker shows $42,265)

Technology Group
Cold Weather Package
Hard Top
Alpine Audio System

Dealer was asking $35,886 and I paid $35,250 before title and dealer fees. I just checked Vroom sell price and I wasn't able to tick all of the options mine has and they are offering $38,171

Wont sell it because I'm in love with it, its completely stock but I've got $4,000 in mods coming in tomorrow and Friday that I cant wait to install!

Last edited:

fjernen

First Name
Eran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
I just traded in my 2008 JKULR with over 200k I bought it in 2007 for 26k with every option. It had a serious transmission issue and needed tires. I got 15k on trade.
Sponsored