Exposed Rack System

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Has anyone carried kayaks on a Exposed Rack system with a hardtop mount? I like the click-in system and low profile solid mount but am worried on uplift with a kayak on the gutter rails.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Here are pictures for reference. Red is click-in and black is low profile

E9949B18-1F9A-4339-AA77-E4CED562260B.jpeg

32A52EB4-2504-4C89-A2C6-9E818F6DB5FC.jpeg

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I’m not carrying kayaks, but will have an RTT mounted shortly when it’s time for camping. There is no way the rack is going to come off as long as your have it secured properly. Same with kayaks. Make sure they’re tied down well and they’re not coming off.

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I’m not carrying kayaks, but will have an RTT mounted shortly when it’s time for camping. There is no way the rack is going to come off as long as your have it secured properly. Same with kayaks. Make sure they’re tied down well and they’re not coming off.
thanks for the reply! I have not seen much bad press on this brand and I like usa made and price seems good for what you get.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
thanks for the reply! I have not seen much bad press on this brand and I like usa made and price seems good for what you get.
Agreed. I ended up with them since it’s a fairly easy install and still able to remove hardtop like normal. I had Maximus-3/Rhino Rack combo on my JKU and never removed my hardtop after the install. Too much work to have to remove soundbar etc. to go that route. Plus the click in makes taking RTT off and on so much easier.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Their click in system is awesome.
Quick question for you. I found this youtube video below. It shows at the 3:50 minute mark that the click in system has some play with the kayak mounted. Is yours the same?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Quick question for you. I found this youtube video below. It shows at the 3:50 minute mark that the click in system has some play with the kayak mounted. Is yours the same?

Yeah there is some play. But you wont notice it at all when driving. It is there because of the way the click in mechanism works. Once I put my kayak on though there is almost no play, so that guys kayak must be pretty light.

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I've got the gutter mount Yakima System, with the round cross bars. No issues with uplift.

As you seem to know, the #1 rule when you have a kayak up there is TIE DOWN THE FRONT. TIGHT. There is so much upward force with the air it's tough to comprehend.

Of course, I'm strapped to the Kayak rack as well, but the front tiedown is the most important.

IMG_20210521_120853.jpg

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I shot an email off to the company to ask about mounting height differences between the low profile and standard mounting options. I will report back when i get a reply.

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
From SMS: The standard rack is 2.5" above the roofline and the low profile is 1.5". The square tubing is 1.25" in diameter.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
No issues
Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Rack System IMG_20210521_120853
entropy,
I ordered mine today with two kayak attachments for our two kayaks. Did you bother with the paddle attachment? I didn’t order it but am wondering whether I should have.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
entropy,
I ordered mine today with two kayak attachments for our two kayaks. Did you bother with the paddle attachment? I didn’t order it but am wondering whether I should have.
I didnt and I need it. lolm
Sponsored