Sponsored

Secure hard top storage

First Name
Brandi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting Grey JL
Does anyone have a secured option for storing their doors and hard top when you don't have a garage or any indoor storage?
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have a secured option for storing their doors and hard top when you don't have a garage or any indoor storage?

Some people get creative and store them inside their home on carts etc. Are you living on a ground floor?

Otherwise, hopefully friends or family could be an option ..

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
It all depends on where you live ... namely, how close to country.

I am at the outskirts of Calgary, and there are no shortage of farms 10-15 mins away that offer low cost storage of items in old barns. People store seasonal cars, trailers, camping gear, etc.

As mentioned, some store them on pulleys in rooms. However, not sure if the average landlord would like that, if you are renting.

I am guessing that a soft top is not an option?

Sponsored

OP
OP
teacherjeepgirl
First Name
Brandi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting Grey JL
I have my own house, I just don't have garage access. I was looking into almost a platform type of storage idea so I can put it on and off. My biggest concern is we are on the outside of town but people tend to have sticky fingers because we are semi secluded. Nothing has been taken from our yards but people tend to break into cars during the nights.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@teacherjeepgirl Brandi:

A more realistic option than my modularizing the hard top above--if not also less full proof....

Acquire these:

https://topsyproducts.com/collections/jl-stuff/products/hinge-hoist-bracket-kit-jlu-4-door

they attach on to the hinges which operate your top's rear glass to normally facilitate lifting the top in the very garage you lack...

but they could also be used to lock a chain whose other end is concreted into the ground--for those around you with those sticky fingers you describe...

If you want to get a little more inventive, maybe these guys can get you replacement bolts for these hinges with an unusual pattern screw head of the bolts (not flat head or phillips, etc.) to make unscrewing the brackets more difficult:

https://www.boltdepot.com/

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have my own house, I just don't have garage access. I was looking into almost a platform type of storage idea so I can put it on and off. My biggest concern is we are on the outside of town but people tend to have sticky fingers because we are semi secluded. Nothing has been taken from our yards but people tend to break into cars during the nights.
I was in a similar situation when I had my YJ. House, yard, no garage, on the outskirts of suburbia. It's not all that difficult to make a wood platform to set the hard top on for storage. The bottom of the hardtop where it bolts to the Jeep is flat. You can make a platform, mount 2x4s along the sides (simulating the sides of the Jeep) and use lag screws to bolt the hard top to the platform. That way the only part of the hard top touching the platform is what would touch the Jeep when it's installed. Not unstealable, but it requires tools and planning. Something casual thieves tend to lack.

Two people can move a hard top onto a platform like this. The only troublesome part I had with that is the rear window likes to open all the way for the slightest reason.

Also at least cover it with a tarp. Better yet, make a box to put over the hard top to help protect the windows.

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
The wooden platform is a good idea. If you decided to go this route, also drill the side of it and add a heavy duty eye bolt so you can roll down the windows and run a cable through the doors and lock them too. I’d rather lose my hardtop than doors. As said above, a tarp would be a must.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I have no garage as well and my solution for the hardtop was to sell it for $1500 to help pay for a powered soft top

As for doors, they’re small enough to just carry inside one by one.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have no garage as well and my solution for the hardtop was to sell it for $1500 to help pay for a powered soft top

As for doors, they’re small enough to just carry inside one by one.
Lol, at this point, I think your video should just be stickied to every post about soft top, hard tops, My Tops and one touch Sky Tops. Probably save you a lot of time. Granted, it wouldn't raise your post count though.
Sponsored