Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Seems that way. Like I said, I've not experienced any situation where the electric motor didn't kick on to provide extra power when needed, including the 75 mile drive home from the dealer on "no charge".

Now, while cruising on the highway, I'm sure it's running without the electric motors at some point, just like some times it's running without the ICE, but when it needs both, they are both there running and providing the power.
I agree with Echo4Papa. The battery always has some reserve to kick in for assist. My use case is perfect.; 19 mile round trip for work, so pretty much using all electric except for longer trips on weekends. About 1500 miles on it so far and the average MPG on the gauge is reading just shy of 35. I'm more than happy with the acceleration on all electric, but hammer it and it's crazy fast.
Sponsored

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
How can a hybrid in this day and age only give you 22 miles of electric range? That seems just so damn poor.
There's a lot of great articles you can view to find a logical answer. It wasn''t designed to give you more the 22 miles on all electric. Its claim to fame is a hell of a hybrid design. Quick, fast and strong, not your usual hybrid (it's a jeep).

Last edited:

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Choice is great. But I see a future where 4xE buyers feel superior over other buyers and will try to convince all others at any cost to have their choice as well. Just my own personal experience living in California.
See, I saw the opposite problem. While here in the general forum, this flow chart may seem aggressive, it seems like every thread in the 4xe forum has trolls popping in to say it's a bad choice, oftentimes without a 'real' reason. Definitely misguided hate from people who've already made up their minds.

It's kind of silly, because no one is buying a jeep for the mileage. But since there's now a jeep that has a possibility of getting better mileage, now it matters more than anything? It seems like everyone who takes issue with the 4xe hates on it because of its all electric range or its poor overall hybrid mileage, while also ignoring the fact that it has killer HP and torque. I am definitely disappointed with the range and the overall mpg, but in practice it'll still be perfect for a huge market of buyers.

I think spending that kind of cash on a 392 is unjustifiable except "I wanted a fun toy" (which is a perfectly fair and valid reason to buy one, just outside the reach of the majority of people). But when anyone buys a 4xe, which is actually super in line with any other rubicons/saharas/high altitude trims, that isn't 'valid' to a portion of jeep culture apparently.

I think that the 4xe at early 2021 pricing (MSRP ~48k sahara, 52k rubicon, 54k high altitude) is worth the engine upgrade based purely on the numbers and I hope jeep brings the 4xe engine package to other trim levels. Anyone who is seriously considering one should look at a similarly specced trim with a different powerplant. You'll find it's a 2-4k premium for this engine compared to the manual v6, once you account for all the "standard" options on the 4xe that are upgrades to the stock rubi/sahara/high altitude.

If they carry that same premium down and offer a sport or sport S wrangler with a 4xe engine, that's where people could at least start accurately asking themselves "Can I make use of the plug in and do I value that HP?"

Right now, the 4xe is limited to those who are already looking at high specced wranglers, but is an incredible value for early adopters because of the tax credits. There really isn't a better deal than Cali buyers getting a 4xe with sound, lights, heavy duty xfer case, and the engine/trans upgrade for the same price as a bone stock rubicon.

For me in Texas, I was going to buy a rubicon trim either way, but the 4xe saves me money compared to the rubicons I had already specced out, while it also fits my commute and with free nights energy, I'll drive 80% of my daily commute for free.

It's kind of like the bronco thread. It's fine to hate it, it's fine to love it. Just like...respect others having that same opinion and maybe don't openly go seek to put someone else down for disagreeing (which is not what this thread is doing at all, to be clear, just a general criticism of some of the stuff I've seen on the 4xe forum).

Untitled Workspace (3).png

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Haha that chart is awesome. It is compelling. My apartment complex garage I have built in car charger for fast charging and live about 2 miles from my office. It actually makes perfect sense for me but for some reason I still don’t want it. Decisions...

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Haha that chart is awesome. It is compelling. My apartment complex garage I have built in car charger for fast charging and live about 2 miles from my office. It actually makes perfect sense for me but for some reason I still don’t want it. Decisions...
Heh, the chart was limited to 50 objects in the free app I was using, but I did have a "Are you interested in the 4xe? No? Why are you here?" series as the very first question at one point.

"I don't want it" is a 100% correct answer as well. I'm willing to take a risk on the new tech, but I don't fault anyone who isn't.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, manual transmission people take the prize. 4:88 gear lovers close second but manual transmission number one
Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe vs 392 - Quick Comparison 1621943164293

This is only loosely based on meeting @chevymitchell who is a great guy in reality... :bandit:

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I’m >< close to ordering a 4xe to replace my 3.6L sport lease which comes to an end in August.

Reasons for:

-super cheap lease for a Rubicon (cheaper than gas only)

-almost all of my driving is within a 5-mile radius of my house running errands and kid carting to school/sports so will basically never use gas

-cooler/cheaper than the Tesla I was considering

-“have to” get the Rubicon so can justify to wife (I don’t want leather seats so only way to get cloth in 4xe is Rubi, pretty sure)

-will be awesome for hunting season to creep through the woods with no engine noise

-all the new tech with the hybrid makes it an interesting change from my Sport so I won’t mind leasing “the same thing” for another 3 years

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe vs. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 | Quick Comparison
When Wrangler battles Wrangler, the winner is you

Via Autoblog.com

2021 has been a good model year for the Jeep Wrangler. Over the past twelve months, we've seen the introduction of both the V8-powered Rubicon 392 and the plug-in hybrid 4xe. Rewind 10 years and imagine how you would have felt if somebody even suggested a comparison between a plug-in hybrid and a V8 truck or 4x4, but here we are, and it actually makes a good deal of sense. They're both new, they're both quite powerful and quite capable. But which one is better? Let's take a look.

Let's start off with the challenger (small c): the 4xe. On the plus side, you get 22 miles of 100% electric range thanks to that 17kWh battery pack, which qualifies it for the full $7,500 federal EV Tax credit. That battery juices a powertrain with a total system output of 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque, which makes it the second-most-powerful Wrangleroffered from the factory (and tied for first in torque). The 4xe powertrain is available on the Sahara, Rubicon and High Altitude trims, which gives you several choices in both equipment and budget. Good start.

In the negative column, the 4xe loses virtually all of its efficiency benefits when you cruise long distances on the highway, and the turbocharged gasoline engine is pretty uninspiring when it's saddled with doing all of the work. Run the battery down and the 4xe becomes little more than an extra-heavy Rubicon 2.0T in the efficiency department. That's not great.

With the 392, you get 470 hp to go with your 470 lb-ft of torque, it makes amazing noises, and it's a good bit quicker than anything else in the Wrangler lineup. Jeep says it'll do 0-60 in just 4.5 seconds (vs. nearly 6.0 for the 4xe) on the way to its 99-mph top speed. It also has a fancy, hood-mounted induction system that allows it to ford more water than any other Rubicon variant, and gets a functional hood scoop to go with it.

Cons? Well, there's that 99-mph top speed, which seems like a miss for a V8 model that can really only take advantage of that power in a straight line. It also gets miserably bad fuel economy, costs a fortune ($75k and up) and is only available as a Rubicon model.

So, while I'm trying to convince you that the two are worth comparing, the reality as that they are two very different Jeeps for very different buyers. The Rubicon 392 is the apex Jeep; the one you buy to show off your superfan status. It's big, tall, loud and proud — a signal that the owner embraces a lifestyle of conspicuous consumption but with a folksy, blue-collar vibe. On the road the 4xe is the better all-around package. It feels more car-like than the 392 since it carries less weight in the nose, and it rides more like a regular Rubicon — bumpy, for sure, but more tolerable than the harsher 392. Sure, you're giving up speed and that glorious V8 howl, but they come at a hefty premium.

The 2021 Wrangler 4xe is the do-anything Wrangler. It demonstrates all of the flexibility that makes Jeep's iconic off-roader so endearing while simultaneously offering an added layer of practicality for a far more reasonable up-front premium. For $25k less than the Rubicon 392, you can walk away with a Sahara 4xe and a $7,500 tax credit, and if your commute is short enough, you may never pay a dime for gas. The future is here, and it's pretty darned good, which is not-so-coincidentally how I feel about the 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe. I called it the best all-around Wrangler money can buy, after all, and hopefully this rundown helped explain why.
SO... the battery sits inside and under the rear seat? Are the cooling and heating feeds gone from this version vs the hybrid with the batteries under the jeep opposite of the gas tank?

Those power numbers are pretty sweet. But if the batteries are under the seat that is a problem for me and others that utilize that area.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
What's the top speed of the 4xe or any other Jeep?
Is that 99MPH specific to the 392? if it isn't then its a design issue with the platform and not a negative for the 392 only so it shouldn't be in the negative column.
I don't know the specifics of the 4xe's hybrid programming but if it works like i hope it would the battery should never discharge unless you push the button for all battery use. the battery should be ready at all times for an acceleration boost and then get recharged by the engine and braking. just driving 500 miles should make no difference. If that is also true you can remove the "No battery, anemic acceleration" negative from the 4xe cloumn.
I was able to trick my 4xe into 98mph acceleration up a steep hill. The limiter kicked on just as I started downhill so I eeked out an extra mph or two. It hovers between 96 and 97 max on level ground.

And, yes, theres always an electric reserve so the torque is available even when the battery is saying less than 1%. Add in the $20,000 premium most dealers are getting for the 392, and the 4xe just makes more sense for my needs. Getting a Rubicon at a bargain and it's eerily quiet offroad in e-only mode.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m >< close to ordering a 4xe to replace my 3.6L sport lease which comes to an end in August.

Reasons for:

-super cheap lease for a Rubicon (cheaper than gas only)

-almost all of my driving is within a 5-mile radius of my house running errands and kid carting to school/sports so will basically never use gas

-cooler/cheaper than the Tesla I was considering

-“have to” get the Rubicon so can justify to wife (I don’t want leather seats so only way to get cloth in 4xe is Rubi, pretty sure)

-will be awesome for hunting season to creep through the woods with no engine noise

-all the new tech with the hybrid makes it an interesting change from my Sport so I won’t mind leasing “the same thing” for another 3 years
You won't be disappointed.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SO... the battery sits inside and under the rear seat? Are the cooling and heating feeds gone from this version vs the hybrid with the batteries under the jeep opposite of the gas tank?

Those power numbers are pretty sweet. But if the batteries are under the seat that is a problem for me and others that utilize that area.
Vents for rear passengers are in the back of the center console between the front seats. Cup holders for the rear are only in the fold down armrest between the 60/40 folding rear seats.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. I fit the 4Xe demographic easily, but that's a lot of money to throw down on a new Jeep. I'm not even sure I pay enough in taxes to get the full amount of tax credit either.
You can always create a tax event that will save you down the road like converting part of a traditional IRA into a ROTH.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Unless you’re retired or have some other very unique circumstances, how does someone considering a $50k Jeep not pay at least $7500 in taxes? I pay like 7x that much and I ain’t that rich.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's funny to me that now Jeep drivers fit a demographic. Here's a good one for marketing guys to figure out: I own 2 emission-deleted CJ-5s, a beautiful, stock TJ Sahara and a 2021 JLUR 4xe. So where does that put me? Into a weird, complex group that I'd call the "Jeep Demograohic" which is difficult to pin down. I believe that's why there are so many choices on Wranglers now.
Sponsored