Sponsored

Replacement Audio System Questions (Upgrade from Alpine)

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
i got their kits for just the soundbar mounting and kick panel speaker mounting. i've only installed the soundbar 6x9 and it's a great improvement.

their full kit is like $1599 but works with the OEM system. and has 2 400w amps. sounds like what you would want. i'm curious to hear from anyone who did the whole system as well.
Question on your 6x9 install: I got mine this weekend and proceeded to just plug one in before I cut out the hole. Seems like the sound was only coming out of the main speaker and not the tweeter. Not sure if I did anything wrong but simply used the supplied connector that came from the mid driver, and plugged into the 6x9. Is the twitter plug supposed to go somewhere as well?

Going to call mb quart tech support on Monday to figure out what is going on....
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Question on your 6x9 install: I got mine this weekend and proceeded to just plug one in before I cut out the hole. Seems like the sound was only coming out of the main speaker and not the tweeter. Not sure if I did anything wrong but simply used the supplied connector that came from the mid driver, and plugged into the 6x9. Is the twitter plug supposed to go somewhere as well?

Going to call mb quart tech support on Monday to figure out what is going on....
Anyone know what the mounting depth would be with these adaptors? In other words how large(deep) of a 6x9 could be used?

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys

This is what I was referring to previously when I said that the factory amp processes the sound and will only send certain frequencies to individual speakers. That main plug is only carrying midrange frequencies, so you won't hear any high notes. This is the same reason that you can't need the capacitor on the tweeter. That capacitor is a "bass blocker" , it prevents low notes reaching the tweeter. However, in this system there are no low notes being sent to the tweeter anyway.

One solution to your issue, would be to either combine the signals from the mid and tweeter in the sound bar before the 6x9, or to clip the speaker wires that are driving the new tweeter, and run them to your tweeter harness.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
@bem1

i have the premium alpine with kicker. after i put the 6x9's on the main connector on each side, and left the tweeter connector disconnected, and turned the jeep OFF, when restarting it detected speakers only on the main lines and activated them as full range

at first i tied the tweeter and mid (3's and 4" ) on each side together as recommended in one thread here. DO NOT DO THIS!#!@#! it sounded like crap and clicked, popped, total shit at any volume over 10... until i totally removed the soundbar again and untied the mid from the tweeter lines and ONLY connected the 6'x9's to the main lines only on each side. tape off the tweeter lines that went to the old 3" speakers. do not use them unless you like pulling the sound bar out after you find out you can only turn the volume to 10.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One solution to your issue, would be to either combine the signals from the mid and tweeter in the sound bar before the 6x9, or to clip the speaker wires that are driving the new tweeter, and run them to your tweeter harness.
DO NOT DO THIS. the speakers will pop, click, make all kinds of shitty noise at any volume over 10.

if you are using 6x9 full range speakers, use the main connector only on each side of the sound bar. tape off / do not use the tweeter connector.

once you turn the jeep off, during startup initialization the amp will detect no speaker on the tweeter lines and will make the main lines full range for the 6x9's (or 6" if you are using the ssv with single6" full range speaker). they will sound great, especially if you got 6x9's that are 100w + and you can crank it up :)

Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
DO NOT DO THIS. the speakers will pop, click, make all kinds of shitty noise at any volume over 10.

if you are using 6x9 full range speakers, use the main connector only on each side of the sound bar. tape off / do not use the tweeter connector.

once you turn the jeep off, during startup initialization the amp will detect no speaker on the tweeter lines and will make the main lines full range for the 6x9's (or 6" if you are using the ssv with single6" full range speaker). they will sound great, especially if you got 6x9's that are 100w + and you can crank it up :)
Wait, you didn't just twist the speaker wires together, right? What I was referring to requires a device to safely combine these amplified signals together. It is referred to as a signal summing device.

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Interesting. So plug the 6x9 in, then turn on the jeep and that should resolve this? If so, I will try it tomorrow and report back. Thanks!

I'm surprised the instructions didn't mention anything about this....

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

So tried this today and it still did not work. Here are the steps I took:
1. Plugged speaker in using included cable.
2. Zip tied the speaker as I have not cut anything out yet
3. Turned on jeep, then radio

Sound still is very low, so the amp did not initiate the full range. Did I do something wrong?

I did call mb quart support and the guy said I could try splicing into the tweeter cable and use that instead. I have not done that yet....

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you only did one side? that might be the problem. hook up both sides. make sure both tweeters are disconnected.

Sponsored

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
you only did one side? that might be the problem. hook up both sides. make sure both tweeters are disconnected.
Update: connected both 6x9s. Tweeter unplugged. Turned on jeep/radio. Still hearing the same muffled sound. Got any other thoughts?

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: connected both 6x9s. Tweeter unplugged. Turned on jeep/radio. Still hearing the same muffled sound. Got any other thoughts?
i had the battery disconnected on the negative side, and the two negatives separated.

probably 20 minutes.

maybe that is what triggered the redetection

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes.

also, i though of something else in my dreams... the white wires going to the speakers are the negatives, if i remember right.
pos/neg on speakers isn't really pos/neg like 12v/-12v. they just make the speakers all be in the same phase. if they are out of phase they can muffle the sound

also being out of a speaker enclosure lowers the sound output somewhat

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So which ones did you disconnect? These?
Yes. Disconnect the main bolt to the left of those first. Then disconnect and separate those 2. Make sure they do not touch once disconnected.
Sponsored