Atlas JL Transfer Case

JimSa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Wish you the best of luck! Would love an update on whether warranty claim was honored or not!
Just wanted to close the loop. In the end, after much back and forth and involving Jeep Cares, a new TC was covered under warranty. I won't get into all the details on this thread, but the nightmare's continued with service department (Rairdon's Kirkland, WA), and I didn't get my jeep back for nearly 3 weeks. Needless to say, I won't ever use them again.

Back on topic... Despite getting a new TC under warranty, I'm really hoping to see an actual 4 speed Atlas TC for the JL someday. Still on my *someday* wishlist.
Sponsored

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
I contacted Advance Adaptors last week and was told the JL/JT Atlas II is still in testing/development. They are hoping to be shipping production units in February 2021. (Not the 4 speed as far as I'm aware though.)

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I contacted Advance Adaptors last week and was told the JL/JT Atlas II is still in testing/development. They are hoping to be shipping production units in February 2021. (Not the 4 speed as far as I'm aware though.)
Lol...they told me they were testing it and it should be out soon over a year and a half ago when I started this thread. :idea:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yes, and COVID has made that 7 months like 12 month or so.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
However... they told a friend of mine that there was no way you could mount the 4 speed to an 8 speed transmission with a 6.2L Hemi. Well, that was bad information.
Not exactly. Many people have reported issues with the 4 speed when you put some power in front of it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should sorta thing. So I can see what they are saying from a different point of view.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
About 4 weeks ago I called Advance Adapter and they said they should have the direct bolt in T-Case for the JL 3.6L gas rigs by either year end or beginning of Q1. For the 3.0 Diesel, don’t hold your breath. Because they don’t plan on starting that project for at least a year or two.

However... they told a friend of mine that there was no way you could mount the 4 speed to an 8 speed transmission with a 6.2L Hemi. Well, that was bad information. Because he was able to do it. It took a little research and some ingenuity. Likewise, we think the trans in the diesel and the 8 speed he installed in his JK might have similar or the same housing. If so, and we will soon find out, there will be a way to put the 4-speed T-case in a diesel. As for the gas rig, it’s an entirely different trans and we haven’t looked at that marriage yet. Yet, as we have discovered, anything is possible. You just have to think outside the box.
Any updates on this?

I’m thinking of it as an upgrade in the future. Looking at the twin stick 2 speed though. 4 speeds is just too damn many gears to choose from and I hear they are quite a bit less durable than the 2 speed ones anyway.

I’d love to put in a 5:1 2 speed twin stick - it would give me over a 100:1 crawl ratio in first and be about the same as a stock rubicon in 2nd @ 67:1

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Incase anyone is interested I just spoke to Atlas and they are having trouble with getting their shifters to go into the stock location on the JL.

They also scrapped their design with a single stick and are starting over making it a double stick.

It will be sweet in the end but now the time frame they are quoting is they “hope” to have the design done by October 2021. And a new case ordered today won’t be ready till end of Sept 2021. So a 4 month wait currently

So if they actually get the case done by October (it seems they have been saying it’s almost done for literally years at this point) and the wait time is still the same, earliest the first ones might go out would be late Winter/Spring 2022

Wow that’s a long time from now...

and their regular case will fit the diesel incase anyone is wondering.

and they are only doing as deep as 3.8:1 right now. Not sure if they are going to do a 4.3:1 (I begged them to do one for us diesel owners) and definitely not doing a 5:1 (they say it will be too deep with how the JL transmission is geared)

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Incase anyone is interested I just spoke to Atlas and they are having trouble with getting their shifters to go into the stock location on the JL.

They also scrapped their design with a single stick and are starting over making it a double stick.

It will be sweet in the end but now the time frame they are quoting is they “hope” to have the design done by October 2021. And a new case ordered today won’t be ready till end of Sept 2021. So a 4 month wait currently

So if they actually get the case done by October (it seems they have been saying it’s almost done for literally years at this point) and the wait time is still the same, earliest the first ones might go out would be late Winter/Spring 2022

Wow that’s a long time from now...

and their regular case will fit the diesel incase anyone is wondering.

and they are only doing as deep as 3.8:1 right now. Not sure if they are going to do a 4.3:1 (I begged them to do one for us diesel owners) and definitely not doing a 5:1 (they say it will be too deep with how the JL transmission is geared)
Yeah, since around late 2019 they have been saying that “the transfer case system is ready and we are currently ‘finalizing’ the shifter mechanism to make it match stock and testing everything.”

I guess we now know why it’s taking them over two years to fabricate the shifter mechanism...

Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Yeah, since around late 2019 they have been saying that “the transfer case system is ready and we are currently ‘finalizing’ the shifter mechanism to make it match stock and testing everything.”

I guess we now know why it’s taking them over two years to fabricate the shifter mechanism...
Yeah - because they have scrapped their entire JL unit and (was single stick) and entirely gone back to the drawing board to re invent the transfer case and make it a twin stick is what I was told today.

They should’ve just come out with the single first (at a lower cost maybe?) and then begun developing the Twin Stick one.

Oh well. What’s at least another year...

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Yeah - because they have scrapped their entire JL unit and (was single stick) and entirely gone back to the drawing board to re invent the transfer case and make it a twin stick is what I was told today.

They should’ve just come out with the single first (at a lower cost maybe?) and then begun developing the Twin Stick one.

Oh well. What’s at least another year...
Single stick would more than likely be their twin stick transfer case with 1 lever controlling both selector shafts at the same time.

There's no need to remake an entire case to make it shift both shifter rods when a simple bracket will work both.

Something about their story doesn't add up.

Reactions: J0E

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Single stick would more than likely be their twin stick transfer case with 1 lever controlling both selector shafts at the same time.

There's no need to remake an entire case to make it shift both shifter rods when a simple bracket will work both.

Something about their story doesn't add up.
From what he said it sounds like it was designed as a single stick (like the stock unit is) and they decided to change horses mid stream and abandoned that idea to make the JL case like all their other ones (Twin Stick)

Also I don’t think a simple bracket would work to connect both selectors on a twin stick. If you did that it would be always in 4WD as you wouldn’t have a Neutral position for the front.

It would effectively make the Jeep full time 4WD with only selectable 4Hi or 4Lo

I agree it sounds fishy to say the least, but that’s their story and they are sticking to it

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I've been waiting for a while to get the JL Atlas case as I've seen what a front dig can do to get you through an obstacle. I watched the JK video and wondered why they were trying to make it a single stick setup as all you'd gain was 2L position for the JL. It's nice the are going that route now, but I couldn't wait any longer and picked up a twin stick 3.8 Atlas.........granted it isn't attached to a JL....:bandit:

YJ Sandy Wash.JPG

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Also I don’t think a simple bracket would work to connect both selectors on a twin stick. If you did that it would be always in 4WD as you wouldn’t have a Neutral position for the front.

It would effectively make the Jeep full time 4WD with only selectable 4Hi or 4Lo
It's doable inside the case. Just like the stock setup. You don't need a whole new case design to make it work.

I just don't understand why making a shifter is that big of a deal when it is all cables anyways.

Something makes me think the electronics is where they are hung up.
Sponsored