Sponsored

Love my Rubicon 4xe, but this drives me crazy!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Up = Previous
Down = Next

It's like using a trackwheel on a computer mouse. Typically, you scroll up and whatever you are looking at scrolls down and vice versa.
This is my thinking as well. Up = Top of list
It doesn't matter which way they number it, I always seem to pick the wrong direction for what I'm looking for.
Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry but that sounds like German logic —ZF is a German company.

For years, Chrysler auto shift transmissions were up to upshift and down to downshift; that was plain and simple. And didn’t require bringing in the gravitational force of the planet into it.
Not necessarily German - my last Audi was forward to upshift and back to downshift, that is intuitive to me. A race car's g-forces may support the reasoning but that doesn't extend to street vehicles. My RS5 was fairly quick and I never struggled to downshift under hard braking or upshift during acceleration.
Another data point for me - I grew up when you could manually select the lower gears in an automatic and it was always 1-2-3-D, so moving forward to me means selecting the next higher gear

All that aside, I don't feel the need to manually row the gears in the Jeep. It's not a DSG and has neither upshift farts nor downshift rev matching. The ZF performs well and I've found that I'm a lot easier on the skinny pedal in the Jeep.

As for the OP's rant - I always go the wrong way in the menu selection also, but I've really been working on my finger stamina and those extra clicks to get going in the right direction don't fatigue me like they used to......

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not necessarily German - my last Audi was forward to upshift and back to downshift, that is intuitive to me. A race car's g-forces may support the reasoning but that doesn't extend to street vehicles. My RS5 was fairly quick and I never struggled to downshift under hard braking or upshift during acceleration.
Another data point for me - I grew up when you could manually select the lower gears in an automatic and it was always 1-2-3-D, so moving forward to me means selecting the next higher gear

All that aside, I don't feel the need to manually row the gears in the Jeep. It's not a DSG and has neither upshift farts nor downshift rev matching. The ZF performs well and I've found that I'm a lot easier on the skinny pedal in the Jeep.

As for the OP's rant - I always go the wrong way in the menu selection also, but I've really been working on my finger stamina and those extra clicks to get going in the right direction don't fatigue me like they used to......
The only time I feel the need to down shift manually is when I am on a trail with a steep decline.

The ultra low 1st gear matched to the 2.72:1 transfer case feels like a crawl ratio. But I seem to always push the shifter in the wrong direction.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I absolutely LOVE my Jeep. I waited a long time to get one and couldn't be happier!

But there's one small, tiny, insignificant thing that drives me nuts:

Why on earth does the menu in the center of the instrument cluster page up when you push the down arrow and page down when you push the up arrow on the left of the steering wheel??

It's so counter-intuitive! If I am on page 3, then hit the up arrow, I would expect to be on page 4.

Again, so insignificant, but it drives my OCD crazy!!

Thanks for listening!! ;)

Jahesus H Christ! Are you kidding me private Cupcake? Does your vaccine date tattoo still hurt? Didn't the half pump too much maple flavor in your latte already ruin your day? I think we have a new platoon leader here. Lessee your bored face.

ermey-closeup.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanN427

DanN427

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Wrangler Rubicon 4Xe
Jahesus H Christ! Are you kidding me private Cupcake? Does your vaccine date tattoo still hurt? Didn't the half pump too much maple flavor in your latte already ruin your day? I think we have a new platoon leader here. Lessee your bored face.
Guess you missed the part where I said it was insignificant.

But thank you, for reminding me why I rarely participate in forums... thought this one was going to be different, and it's been great so far, but there you are.

Sorry if I have nothing more exciting to talk about....

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

But thank you, for reminding me why I rarely participate in forums... thought this one was going to be different, and it's been great so far, but there you are.

You post insignificant stuff, you get insignificant answers.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...

:facepalm:

maxresdefault.jpg
Sponsored