Sponsored

Mopar lift for new 2021 rubicon JLU feedback reviews?

Logan-Kn

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
Hey all so I’m trying to do as much research as I can before I buy my first Jeep ever. I’m interested in purchasing and having a dealer install a mopar lift kit when I buy my new rubi. Does anyone have experience with these? Do I have to add an aftermarket track bar?
Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Holy cow! When did mopar come out with a lift?!?!?😁

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Hey all so I’m trying to do as much research as I can before I buy my first Jeep ever. I’m interested in purchasing and having a dealer install a mopar lift kit when I buy my new rubi. Does anyone have experience with these? Do I have to add an aftermarket track bar?
Don't have to, but it's generally recommended

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
At the very least, you'd want to add a pair of front lower control arms to be able to dial in the caster to 6-6.5°, a front track bar to center the axle, and either a rear track bar or a relocation bracket for the stock rear.

The hitch in the giddy up, is that most dealers won't install aftermarket products. And even if they do, they'll adjust caster to factory specs, which is too low, and it'd be left to you to get it redone to what actually works. Furthermore, assuming they did install it all, you'd be left with a Frankenstein setup that would cost close to the price of a higher quality aftermarket kit that was all inclusive.

Sponsored

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Willys 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD
Vehicle Showcase
At the very least, you'd want to add a pair of front lower control arms to be able to dial in the caster to 6-6.5°, a front track bar to center the axle, and either a rear track bar or a relocation bracket for the stock rear.

The hitch in the giddy up, is that most dealers won't install aftermarket products. And even if they do, they'll adjust caster to factory specs, which is too low, and it'd be left to you to get it redone to what actually works. Furthermore, assuming they did install it all, you'd be left with a Frankenstein setup that would cost close to the price of a higher quality aftermarket kit that was all inclusive.
First off, I readily admit my ignorance and that is why I am asking these questions. I had the Mopar 2" lift installed on my 2021 Willys. The installation instructions state that caster should be 4.80 +/- 1.00. I've seen where you recomend 6-6.5 caster. Why does your recommendation differ from Mopar and what difference does the increased caster make in terms of handling etc.? Same questions for the contral arms etc. Thanks in advance for your insights.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
First off, I readily admit my ignorance and that is why I am asking these questions. I had the Mopar 2" lift installed on my 2021 Willys. The installation instructions state that caster should be 4.80 +/- 1.00. I've seen where you recomend 6-6.5 caster. Why does your recommendation differ from Mopar and what difference does the increased caster make in terms of handling etc.? Same questions for the contral arms etc. Thanks in advance for your insights.
Too low of caster will result in a too fast of reacting and twitchy steering that can make it difficult to hold a straight line at higher speeds. You could be stuck in a constant state of having to make microcorrections. Too high of caster will make the steering feel sluggish and the steering wheel won't return to center on its own.

I'd never claim to being an authority on the subject, but as you dig around, you'll see the 6-6.5° range to be a very common recommendation. Furthermore, you'll find plenty of mentions to ditching the mopar lift lower control arms, that are only 1/4" longer than stock, for a set of adjustable that can be extended longer than than the mopar ones. Stock length is 24" and the mopar lift arms are 24.25". Most lifts that get dialed in to maximize drive ability, have lower control arms set to somewhere give or take 24.5".

I, and many others here, enjoy being able to help each other out. So don't hesitate to reach out with any questions or thoughts.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I have 32k on a mopar lift without any problems......Sort of. I didn’t add adjustable track bars or do anything to the caster in mine and it has been fine. I’m not saying you won’t need to do some of those things, I’m just saying mine has been fine. Now the sort of. I’m starting to get a fair amount of spring bow in my front springs, but it’s I think it’s because I have an early kit. Allegedly the new kits don’t have this.

Anyone have advise on which spring pads are better?

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Willys 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD
Vehicle Showcase
Too low of caster will result in a too fast of reacting and twitchy steering that can make it difficult to hold a straight line at higher speeds. You could be stuck in a constant state of having to make microcorrections. Too high of caster will make the steering feel sluggish and the steering wheel won't return to center on its own.

I'd never claim to being an authority on the subject, but as you dig around, you'll see the 6-6.5° range to be a very common recommendation. Furthermore, you'll find plenty of mentions to ditching the mopar lift lower control arms, that are only 1/4" longer than stock, for a set of adjustable that can be extended longer than than the mopar ones. Stock length is 24" and the mopar lift arms are 24.25". Most lifts that get dialed in to maximize drive ability, have lower control arms set to somewhere give or take 24.5".

I, and many others here, enjoy being able to help each other out. So don't hesitate to reach out with any questions or thoughts.
Thanks - just the kind of info I was looking for!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Are the springs in the Mopar lift kit slightly longer for the passenger side both front and rear?
I recall reading that for the gas engines. I believe I also saw that the diesel engine is more centered, and those springs are the same length. Haven't handled them myself so I can't say for sure, but I seem to remember reading that.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I've been running the Mopar kit for almost 60k miles. I installed it less than a month after I bought the Jeep. The only issue I had, outside of the goofy spring bow Mopar eventually corrected, was a leaky shock that was replaced under warranty. I've since replaced trackbars, the drag link, the tie rod, etc. However, the kit has performed well. It's overpriced and incomplete, but for my purposes, it has held up very well.
Sponsored