Sponsored

4xe break-in process

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Yeah I've also seen tons of those "baby it" vs. "drive it like you stole it" threads over the years for many types of vehicles. What I don't ever recall seeing is any thread with those people years later indicating that either approach led to problems. This leads me to believe @Demonic is spot on with his executives/engineers joke above. These engines have to be reliable enough to survive the average consumer who has never even heard of the concept of break in.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bkinnj

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe
Yeah I've also seen tons of those "baby it" vs. "drive it like you stole it" threads over the years for many types of vehicles. What I don't ever recall seeing is any thread with those people years later indicating that either approach led to problems. This leads me to believe @Demonic is spot on with his executives/engineers joke above. These engines have to be reliable enough to survive the average consumer who has never even heard of the concept of break in.

Generally agree but "survive" is different than "optimize." I'm planning to keep my 4xe for a long time and want to do everything possible to delay issues as long as possible.

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I have read on other parts of this forum that a key element of break-in is actually for the axles. Apparently they have very tight tolerances and get quite warm during the initial driving.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Reviving this thread. So after the initial 300ish miles, how soon are you guys doing your first oil change?

Sponsored

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Sorry, was that a rhetorical question or something?
Nah not rhetorical. The break in is 300 miles right? So I wanted to know if people were generally changing their oil for the first time after 1000 miles, 2000 miles, not until the oil change indicator comes on, etc. I have always changed the oil on my new vehicles after the first 500-1000 miles but wanted to see what the consensus on the Jeep forums was.
Sorry, was that a rhetorical question or something?
no not rhetorical. I was asking if the jeep community changed the oil sooner than the light coming on for the first oil change. I have always changed my oil for the first time at 500-1000 miles on new cars so just wanted to get feedback from jeep owners since this is my first jeep.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2021 JLURe (coming soon)
Nah not rhetorical. The break in is 300 miles right? So I wanted to know if people were generally changing their oil for the first time after 1000 miles, 2000 miles, not until the oil change indicator comes on, etc. I have always changed the oil on my new vehicles after the first 500-1000 miles but wanted to see what the consensus on the Jeep forums was.

no not rhetorical. I was asking if the jeep community changed the oil sooner than the light coming on for the first oil change. I have always changed my oil for the first time at 500-1000 miles on new cars so just wanted to get feedback from jeep owners since this is my first jeep.
Lol, so I guess you just didn't like my answer?

There is really no reason with a modern vehicle to change your oil before the maintenance minder tells you to. With older engines it made sense to do an early oil change, but now it's just a waste of time and resources.

Still, it's not like it will hurt anything, so if it makes you feel better go for it.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
When the oil change indicator comes on.
Same here.
No reason to change it any sooner with a modern engine such as this. Direct injection does a pretty good job of not creating excessive blow by, which is the main determination factor creating the need to change the oil in the first place. Carbureted engines with sloppy tolerances would pollute the oil in 3 or 5 thousand miles....sometimes quicker even. These days the engines are so tight and manufacturing process much improved that the oil can last quite a while, even the first batch.

To compound matters further. We have 3 basic odometers now. All Electric miles, Hybrid miles and Total Miles.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
So what exactly is the difference between “full throttle” and “wide open throttle?” 🤔
Not much. The context of those vague wordings is important. Don't floor it in low gear but occasionally do it in higher gears at cruising speeds.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
So what are you guys doing when 85% of your driving is on battery only? I am at 340 miles and I have only used an 1/8 of a tank of gas. I feel good about the axles being set, but the ICE has hardly been used. Im thinking I almost need to put it in E-Save and just run a tank of gas through it. What are your guys' thoughts?

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Im thinking I almost need to put it in E-Save and just run a tank of gas through it. What are your guys' thoughts?
This is what I did.
Sponsored