Sponsored

Help! I am thinking of selling my customized 2021 JLU so I can buy the 392. Where do I sell it for profit?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I would love to see you get 75K for it... In reality, I have not seen a Sport go for more than 55-60, even with 30k of add-ons. Plus, it would be hard to get financing for that with the original sticker so low.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you want it to retain collector value you would need to garage It vs parking on a city street. Keep what you have.

I went through a similar thought process a year ago before I bought my Jeep. I wanted a Raptor, but I would have to trade my paid for 2015 F150 to get one. Then it would become my daily driver. For the same amount of money I opted to keep my truck and buy a my Jeep.

Do I want a Raptor? Sure. Does it make sense for me? Absolutely not. Driving a limited production expensive vehicle as a primary vehicle makes no sense as it will lose a lot of it’s collector value.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
If you want it to retain collector value you would need to garage It vs parking on a city street. Keep what you have.

I went through a similar thought process a year ago before I bought my Jeep. I wanted a Raptor, but I would have to trade my paid for 2015 F150 to get one. Then it would become my daily driver. For the same amount of money I opted to keep my truck and buy a my Jeep.

Do I want a Raptor? Sure. Does it make sense for me? Absolutely not. Driving a limited production expensive vehicle as a primary vehicle makes no sense as it will lose a lot of it’s collector value.
IDK, those Raptors really hold their value well. Even the high mile beat to death ones hold value... I want one.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

buy a snazberry 392 and transfer every single custom part off your sport onto it (that you can). even the interior if you prefer your custom interior you had made. then sell your sport with nice rubi parts for a decent amount via private party. if you can handle owning both vehicles at the same time, even if for a short while. OR, put your sport back to stock as much as possible and sell it like that. hang on to the custom goodies for the new ride and/or sell off what you can on the used market.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I doubt 392 production is ending. If you're set on Snazzberry, there is a chance that this could be the only year of 392 with that color if snazzberry is discontinued for 2022.

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
$49K on a Sport S. Yowzers. I paid $46K for my JLUR pretty well loaded.

Mods don't add value, in fact, they may decrease it as they become more unique to owner's taste vs. something the general buyers will like.

If unable to keep current Jeep, i'd probably try to return it to as close to stock as possible to get the best selling price, then try to sell mods privately or put on new Jeep.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
LOL @ $75,000 for a used Sport S. Return it to stock, sell Jeep and parts separately. And remember, mods are worth PENNIES on the dollar on the secondary market.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I was gong to get one of those 392's but the price I paid for mine with a Demon dropped in would be less than a 392 loaded..... and I would get more plus I would have my Ocean Blue....

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
The problem with customizing your Jeep to the level you did is that you end up with a very limited buyer market demographic that would also like your customization style, colors, etc.

The thing with Wranglers is that customizing is huge, no Jeep look alike, this means most Jeep Wrangler buyers want to start with a clean canvas.

Keep it until some 392 demos or one owner used versions hit the market.

kbarbosa86

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU - 80th Anniversary
I would love to (well, I want the 392 and hate giving up my baby, but......) be able to sell my 2021 Snazzberry Wrangler Sport S Unlimited so I can buy a Snazzberry 392 coming soon to a local dealer but I want to get my money out of it! I paid 49,000 and put 25,000 into it customizing it. The dealership actually wants to take pictures of it for their website. The salesman who ordered it for me is blown away and said that I took a Sport S and turned it into a luxury vehicle. Lifted it, added 35's, bronze wheels, all bronze accents on exterior, custom beige leather interior, custom woodgrain interior, had hard top flipped upside down and painted black on inside with HotHeads beige headliners installed, full sound assassin package installed on hard top and floor of Jeep, and the list goes on and on and on.....it's my baby and I'm loving the 6 speed manual and hate the thought of giving that up for the 392 automatic trans, but...................DAMN! that V8 Hemi is pulling me! I've had so much fun building this out and hate to sell, but.....again......DAMN!!!!! that HEMI!!! I've seen somewhere, possibly on here where someone can sell their Wrangler for a fantastic price, even possibly for a profit, but I don't recall the site. Any Ideas? Suggestions?........I am not parting with my baby for less than $75,000. The dealership offered me a measly $44,000 and could sell it for $70,000 or more! Time is of the essence! The window is short for me to be able to get this 392 and I've been told that production of them is going to be shut down soon because of govt regulations. In fact, one dealership has already said that it can't take any orders for it and the one that has my Snazzberry 392 coming in has said that it is probably the last of them and they can't order anymore. I'm dying to do this even as much as it's killing me to give up my Snazzy Sam!

IMG_20210203_165751_925.jpg
Hate to break it to you but you will never get a dealer to pay what you want, yes it is true that Wranglers are pulling top dollar right now, BUT that is for stock or bare minimum customization. While your Jeeps is absolutely gorgeous (I have a snazzberry myself) your upgrades are nothing more than a mere "labor of love" in regards to trade in etc. The vehicle is still only worth what its worth and auction/book value goes by stock. What you have added on someone else may not like. The offer the dealer gave you isn't way off base because at the end of the day regardless of what you changed on your ride, it is still a sport trim and the VIN reflects that. This would be a harder sell for a dealer because it would require that "special buyer", but even then - they will not sell it for what you are thinking. Sadly the auto industry just doesn't work that way. I know this because I have been in it for over 15 years in accounting - I know the numbers and I know the ins & outs of the deals and all departments. Your best bet is to keep your Jeep or try and sell privately, but even that's a stretch to even come in the ballpark of what you want for it. Again, not dissing your Jeep - its beautiful, but what you want for it is no where realistic. The majority of people will not pay extra for the changes you made. Another point i will make is if a dealer were to sell this odds are the average buy will be financing (not always - but most do) and a bank is not going to finance a used vehicle over what its worth. Therefore that now cuts the already slim buyers market down even further for a dealer. Just another thing a lot of people don't always realize.

That's why we call things like this a "Labor of Love". at the dealer I work for we encourage people to put the vehicle back stock as much as they can before they trade it in & keep their aftermarket parts or sell them privately. Not saying it is impossible because I fully believe there is a buyer out there for everything (didn't say they were smart buyers lol), but in your case - that's going to be an extremely hard find if at all without you losing money.

The same logic applies to motorcycles. My husband I know we will never get the extra $$ we put into doing customizations to his Harley, but we did them because we plan to keep it for a long time & if we decide to sell at some point, 95% of what we have done can be returned to stock as we kept all the stock pieces.

I wish you luck, yes the 392 is amazing. But I would keep what you have as it is beautiful unless you are prepared to potentially lose a good amount of money.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
$49K on a Sport S. Yowzers. I paid $46K for my JLUR pretty well loaded.

Mods don't add value, in fact, they may decrease it as they become more unique to owner's taste vs. something the general buyers will like.

If unable to keep current Jeep, i'd probably try to return it to as close to stock as possible to get the best selling price, then try to sell mods privately or put on new Jeep.
That was what caught my eye more than anything. Sport S with manual transmission for $5K less than I got my fully loaded JLUR for.

Let others pay the premium and enjoy it. Take note of the changes jeep has made to the JL since 2018. They are bound to make others for the 392 to help improve issues.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Just my $0.02 here.

"Profit" and "Automobiles" should never be used in the same sentence unless you are a dealer or a manufacturer (and even then ?). With the exception of some extremely unique vehicles, cars are generally pure economic loss after you factor in insurance, licensing and storage costs (and gas and maintenance if you drive it). Think about any car you think is "cool" or valuable and then drop the historical MSRP into an inflation calculator and load up for years of insurance and licensing and storage and you will likely see that you would be better off putting that same amount of money into a house, a rental property, or an indexed mutual fund.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
If you have enough cash on hand to lose $30k+ on a trade in and feel ok with it, you should. It's your money.

If you do, you'll end up with a $75k priced Jeep, that isn't modded in any way, has the transmission you don't want, and it's cost to you is over $100k. So right away you'll be $25k+ underwater on depreciable asset.

Oh, also, it will be ripe for theft because you are parking it on the street, and it's a rare vehicle. When it is stolen, you'll be riding the bus because all your money vaporized on that trade in.

It's really an incredibly easy decision to make.
Sponsored