Sponsored

New parts changing my mind

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'd love to seem some pics of your setup. Sounds nice!
My Jeep is less than 2 months old and most of the cool pictures are on my Jeep Club's private group page from wheeling trips. I never take many pictures. The ones below are when the Jeep was only 2 weeks old, still on temporary plates. It is less than 2 months old now. 2,500 miles including high speed long trips and 3 wheeling trips riding with Jeeps on 37-42" tires. Did all the trails they did. Did *ALL* the mods myself over 4 days.

Jeep Wrangler JL New parts changing my mind IMG_1422

Jeep Wrangler JL New parts changing my mind IMG_1421

Jeep Wrangler JL New parts changing my mind IMG_1454

Jeep Wrangler JL New parts changing my mind IMG_1455

Jeep Wrangler JL New parts changing my mind IMG_1498

IMG_1421.jpg
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You realize that a 3.5" lift means 37" tires and a re-gear? This is a slippery slope.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Hello, I have recently begun modding my Jeep and the further I get into it the more I appreciate my Jeep in its stock form. I’ve added a new bumper and winch and it has made the steering feel heavy and my Jeep feel noticeable slower during acceleration. I’ve ordered a lift and already and am now debating on sending it back, and returning the Jeep to its original state. Have you experienced similar thoughts? I bought my Jeep so I could customize it but the more I drive it the more I like it the way it is.
I got really into the 'weight added' aspect of modding - convinced it would be worse somehow.

However - I had to mod - for practical reasons. I could not do some of the roads/trails I wanted to do without a suspension lift. I needed a winch as I Jeep solo out in the wilderness. And I needed a metal front bumper with some kind of striker to add protection against deer. The rear bumper was just to match the front :CWL:

But after every upgrade - I was convinced the Jeep was going to be slower and get worse gas milage. And I don't. At least not in the city or highway.

And peace of mind... Way out there...

I still have to actually read this thread and the responses, but ,if you feel you need something to be safe - you'll do it... I love my Jeep more knowing it can get me places it couldn't when it was brand new :like:

Best of luck!

GeeGuid

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Rubi
My stock JLUR is used primarily for commuting, and looks/drives great while doing it. However, the thought of adding a simple level kit and 35s on the stock rims should give me the edge I’m looking for. Those 2 mods can’t be too bad, right? Just a little something extra.
Jeep Wrangler JL New parts changing my mind 14229630-4F8C-4DFA-AC63-177901A19795

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I have owned nine Wranglers over the years: every time I went from my old Wrangler to a new one I couldn't believe how much better the new Wrangler drove; even one from the same generation.

Modding is a slippery slope: we add this and that, totally absorbed in the excitement, without realizing --often in denial-- that the Jeep is gradually turning into a lumbering tractor.

This is why I have become reticent to mod indiscriminately. I've learn to appreciate my Wranglers in stock form for at least a year before doing any major mods. Even then, now I go about it very deliberately. Things like wheel weight, tire width, tire weight, wheel spacers, etc., they all matter and add up.
I am in my third wrangler build and agree, go slow and think about what you really want and what it cost you both cash and performance

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand anyone who lifts their Jeep and doesn't need the clearance for off road purposes. It simply doesn't make any sense. Time and time again I've heard the story that someone modifies their Jeep for no apparent reason and then sells it because it drive like shit.

Take your Jeep off road. Find it's limitations and upgrade your road blocks to more difficult trails.

If you don't off road, leave it alone. It only drives worse on road the more off road you make it.
my rock krawler 2.5” lift with fix shock rides better than it did stock, but the 37s slowed it down a bit… I think the big thing is that people get carried away with achieving a look.. and don’t even know what the costs are on performance… and it’s hard to really know what products to buy.. and once you buy you are stuck…

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree that a build needs to be thought out in advance.

This isn’t my first Wrangler so while it progressed fast it is partly based on what I did & didn’t do but should have to past Wranglers.
To most people mine looks fairly stock (aside from the stinger and lights) until you get closer and look around properly. The whole point is for a discrete but purposeful build that can handle just about anything for the environment it’s in now and will be used in the future.

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
My 21 JL Rubicon two door is getting a Rock hard aluminum bumper, Warn winch, and MAYBE a leveling kit.... that is it. I did bolt an AWE exhaust on it...but for me near to stock is best. with the ability to self recover if neceassary. I will occasionally wheel it in a few local off road parks, and I hated the plastic bumper. I have no interest in larger tires or more height. I have found my Rubicons to be exceptionally capable for what I do and where I go.

When things break or wear out, I will replace with aftermarket stuff where it makes sense...but again...keeping it as near to stock as I can. I've done the lifted/re-gear route on my TJ and while it was a beast....I didnt use the capability I built into it as much as I thought. Its your Jeep so make it how you like....and I like mine pretty much as Jeep built it.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
My 21 JL Rubicon two door is getting a Rock hard aluminum bumper, Warn winch, and MAYBE a leveling kit.... that is it. I did bolt an AWE exhaust on it...but for me near to stock is best. with the ability to self recover if neceassary. I will occasionally wheel it in a few local off road parks, and I hated the plastic bumper. I have no interest in larger tires or more height. I have found my Rubicons to be exceptionally capable for what I do and where I go.

When things break or wear out, I will replace with aftermarket stuff where it makes sense...but again...keeping it as near to stock as I can. I've done the lifted/re-gear route on my TJ and while it was a beast....I didnt use the capability I built into it as much as I thought. Its your Jeep so make it how you like....and I like mine pretty much as Jeep built it.
Ditto. Also, don't be in a hurry for your RH bumper(s). It's been over 6 weeks since I ordered my aluminum rear one, and there's still no estimate on when they will be able to ship. The sales people are very helpful, but say they are totally swamped with orders. I bought my front one from them a few months ago, and it only took about a week to ship. I guess all those posts about Jeeps selling like crazy are right.

Sponsored

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
Ditto. Also, don't be in a hurry for your RH bumper(s). It's been over 6 weeks since I ordered my aluminum rear one, and there's still no estimate on when they will be able to ship. The sales people are very helpful, but say they are totally swamped with orders. I bought my front one from them a few months ago, and it only took about a week to ship. I guess all those posts about Jeeps selling like crazy are right.
Its been on order with my local Off road shop for a few weeks..... I'm hoping it ships soon. How did you like the bumper and the quality? I chosse aluminum because I didnt want to add a ton of weight to the front. Did you feel much difference in steering feel or performance?

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Its been on order with my local Off road shop for a few weeks..... I'm hoping it ships soon. How did you like the bumper and the quality? I chosse aluminum because I didnt want to add a ton of weight to the front. Did you feel much difference in steering feel or performance?
I am very happy with the front bumper. Installation was a breeze, it's very sturdy and well attached, and with the Warn 10K Evo winch didn't change my ride height or handling at all. I was initially interested in it because of the flat towing ability and decided to save weight by spending the extra $ on aluminum for the same reason.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
There is an active thread right now where a guy dumped a ton of money into a Sport S and was insulted when he went to trade it that the price of the mods weren't taken into account. Be careful, the slope is very slippery.
One of my good friend's brother-in-law works at a dealership (not Jeep) and says some of the worst interactions he has with customers are the ones who bring in Jeeps, Raptors, etc. that are modded-out like crazy. Says they lose their minds when he tells them to take everything off, return it to stock, and come back.........or to accept the MUCH lower trade-in offer.

One of the first rules my dad taught me about cars was that they're very personal. And whatever you choose to do them will not be loved nor admired nor even pondered by 99% of anyone else in the world. So, don't change a car any drastic way that you can't revert when you want to sell it. Too bad other folks didn't learn that lesson.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’m sticking with a 35s as well, probably a KO2, I ordered metalcloaks 3.5 inch lift.
Your Jeep, but....

I put "37 inch" KO2s on my JLUR with a "2 inch" Mopar lift + some leveling spacers in each corner for leveling. That yielded Ëś3.5" of lift (measured loaded at 5,600 lbs).

The 37" KO2s measure exactly 35" installed on the Jeep when inflated to 30 PSI. And they look tiny.

I suggest you seriously consider putting 37" if you go KO2s. They are so light there is nearly zero performance degradation with my 2.0/A-8.

[P.S. The KO2s were not my first choice of tires - they were simply what I could get in short order, since I had only 2 weeks to finish my Jeep up from when I bought it till first wheeling trip - they look like a size smaller compared to the other 37s in my wheeling group]