Way to force Engine on for start up

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Wondering if there is a way to force the engine on when I start up, instead of starting in electric/silent.

Maybe via Tazer?
Sponsored

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Opening the hood will do it. But that might make driving difficult.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Seriously, you can force the gas engine on by switching from ā€Driveā€ to the manual ā€œAutoStickā€ mode.

I know that doesnā€™t help you while youā€™re in ā€Parkā€ or while backing out of your driveway, but it can allow you to force the engine on shortly after take-off!

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Seriously, you can force the gas engine on by switching from ā€Driveā€ to the manual ā€œAutoStickā€ mode.

I know that doesnā€™t help you while youā€™re in ā€Parkā€ or while backing out of your driveway, but it can allow you to force the engine on shortly after take-off!
But not at start up right? So like if I'm outside of the jeep and hit remote start, it will always be electric and not ICE?

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Wondering if there is a way to force the engine on when I start up, instead of starting in electric/silent.

Maybe via Tazer?

Just curious as to why you would want this. For a more conventional car starting feel? Would the jeep even know to switch back to battery-only afterwards?

My (2.0 e-torque, fake hybrid) jeep seems to have a slight phantom parasitic draw, so basically runs the generator full power every drive.

If you left something like a dash cam plugged into the always-on rear 12V, I'd bet that the engine replenishment would activate each time.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Just curious as to why you would want this. For a more conventional car starting feel? Would the jeep even know to switch back to battery-only afterwards?

My (2.0 e-torque, fake hybrid) jeep seems to have a slight phantom parasitic draw, so basically runs the generator full power every drive.

If you left something like a dash cam plugged into the always-on rear 12V, I'd bet that the engine replenishment would activate each time.
Just in case I get an exhaust and have one of those days where I can hear that bad boy purr on start up

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Just in case I get an exhaust and have one of those days where I can hear that bad boy purr on start up

I understand.

But we must all gird our loins for the soon-to-be-future where starting an automobile means hearing only the high-pitched whine of capacitors charging up.

Is there such a thing as a blow-off capacitor? Also, I see loud capacitor mods in the future.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I understand.

But we must all gird our loins for the soon-to-be-future where starting an automobile means hearing only the high-pitched whine of capacitors charging up.

Is there such a thing as a blow-off capacitor? Also, I see loud capacitor mods in the future.
There actually is stuff out there and will be an option for us but was seeing if the old fashion way worked

Sponsored

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Discovered this today when giving a jump start.
Nice. So maybe there is a way to disable to hood sensor or make it appear to the system that the hood is open to force a ICE ignition? But then would need a way to change it back so we can use the hybrid system later on, without having to get out of the Jeep to fix

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I suppose with a small amount of work someone could rig something like that up to an aux panel switch. I say why too, lol. But being able to customize is nice.

It would also block charging if that switch was open.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
As much as I like my 4xe, I think itā€™s the last car of any Iā€™ve owned for which Iā€™d be trying to change the exhaust out on.

ea187

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4xe
I wonder if you have the cold weather package and it's below 3Ā°C it would start up automatically.

FloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Rubicon 392, ā€˜20 Gladiator
So if you put it into e-save mode would this not have the engine fire up upon starting it? Or does the 4xe not remember itā€™s last mode and default to electric mode on start up?
Sponsored