Sponsored

New parts changing my mind

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I don't understand anyone who lifts their Jeep and doesn't need the clearance for off road purposes. It simply doesn't make any sense. Time and time again I've heard the story that someone modifies their Jeep for no apparent reason and then sells it because it drive like shit.

Take your Jeep off road. Find it's limitations and upgrade your road blocks to more difficult trails.

If you don't off road, leave it alone. It only drives worse on road the more off road you make it.
Well put. That's exactly why I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to lifting my JLR. I do go off-road often. But going from 32's to 35's only gets you an additional 1.5" under the axles. Is 1.5" really worth going down that rabbit hole? Going to 37's gets an additional 2.5" which I could see as significant, but it's a deeper rabbit hole. Besides, I'm an overlander, not a rock crawler and I need winter tires. I don't seek out obstacles, I just go over what I need to and get where I'm going. I also drive a lot of highway miles to get to where I go off-road.

I'm waiting for the day that I go down the trail and say to myself "I need a lift and bigger tires". So far, that day hasn't come. The JLR is pretty darn capable as it is.
Sponsored

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
My goal on my JL build was the have the most capable Jeep that still looked stock from 15 yards away, and performed similarly to stock.

I have 37" tires, but they are the lightest/smallest 37s. I have a 4" lift, but is built using the Mopar springs, shocks and sway bar links, so I can claim "just a 2" Mopar lift" for warrantu concerns.

It has full skids. But they are aluminum and replaced all the factory skids for a negligible weight gain. I have wider wheels but they are factory replicas and of modest offset keeping the tires tucked under the fenders.

I have a winch, but it is mounted deep inside the factory steel bumper for a flush look.

I used leveling spacers on every corner to provide a perfectly F/R and L/R level ride with perfect weight distribution F/R and L/R with my typical load, making it handle like a dream.

Point is, if you plan your mods, you cam make the vehicle perform and handle like you want it.

I doubt many people will think my build is ideal, but it is ideal for me while the vehicle is under factory warranty and due to the fact that I like "stealth capabilities".
I'd love to seem some pics of your setup. Sounds nice!

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I don't understand anyone who lifts their Jeep and doesn't need the clearance for off road purposes. It simply doesn't make any sense. Time and time again I've heard the story that someone modifies their Jeep for no apparent reason and then sells it because it drive like shit.

Take your Jeep off road. Find it's limitations and upgrade your road blocks to more difficult trails.

If you don't off road, leave it alone. It only drives worse on road the more off road you make it.
This comment assumes most buyers purchase Wranglers for their capabilities. I'd venture to bet that most people actually do NOT purchase them for the capabilities and instead most get them because of its looks. Owning a rugged looking SUV (that's only driven on pavement) is my opinion of what's moving most of the 200k units a year.....And if we're talking about looks, many, perhaps most, think they look better lifted with beefy tires.

My comments are not an excuse for the people that are doing these mods cheaply. I'm merely stating that I believe most make the mods to improve the appearance and not to improve capability.

For those that got a Wrangler to exploit its capabilities, I understand why you're scratching your heads at those destroying their Wranglers with cheap mods. However, it starts to make a little more sense when you realize the majority of them are doing it solely for the appearance and are naĂŻve that doing it cheaply has negative results.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I love threads like this. You get everyone from a stock Sport to a full out modified Rubi (Long arms, coil overs, axle swaps, 40s, v8 conversions, etc....) weighing in with opinions and comments. It's what makes the jeep world go around :like:

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Hello, I have recently begun modding my Jeep and the further I get into it the more I appreciate my Jeep in its stock form. I’ve added a new bumper and winch and it has made the steering feel heavy and my Jeep feel noticeable slower during acceleration. I’ve ordered a lift and already and am now debating on sending it back, and returning the Jeep to its original state. Have you experienced similar thoughts? I bought my Jeep so I could customize it but the more I drive it the more I like it the way it is.
Join the club. I too have a 2020 JLUR and it's 100% factory stock. I have no plans for any mods as I like it the way it is out of the factory. The fact that I almost never off road could a big reason why I feel that way.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This comment assumes most buyers purchase Wranglers for their capabilities. I'd venture to bet that most people actually do NOT purchase them for the capabilities and instead most get them because of its looks. Owning a rugged looking SUV (that's only driven on pavement) is my opinion of what's moving most of the 200k units a year.....And if we're talking about looks, many, perhaps most, think they look better lifted with beefy tires.

My comments are not an excuse for the people that are doing these mods cheaply. I'm merely stating that I believe most make the mods to improve the appearance and not to improve capability.

For those that got a Wrangler to exploit its capabilities, I understand why you're scratching your heads at those destroying their Wranglers with cheap mods. However, it starts to make a little more sense when you realize the majority of them are doing it solely for the appearance and are naĂŻve that doing it cheaply has negative results.
I don't understand any of those people either.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
You may not understand them but do understand that without
You don't have to understand them but realize that without their purchases, the Wrangler likely wouldn't have been profitable enough to continue till this day.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
This is my take, and there are many. Drive the Jeep for awhile before deciding on mods. Base your mods on the shortcomings that you discover in the way that you intend to use your Jeep.

Like said above, there are may who order a pile of parts and put them all on at once in their excitement, only to wonder why it doesn't perform as they thought it would. A well regarded trial suspension may suck to the guy who just comutes every day. Soft, squishy 35x13.5 tires may be great on the trail, but horrible on an urban expressway during stop and go traffic. Choose wisely.

There is an active thread right now where a guy dumped a ton of money into a Sport S and was insulted when he went to trade it that the price of the mods weren't taken into account. Be careful, the slope is very slippery.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I started out with a stock Sport S. Everything i put on it was because i needed it on the trail first. I borrowed from others or took my hits and then i upgraded.

bent a front Bumper, bought a steel bumper. Borrowed air, bought a compressor. Got winched, bought a winch. Got high-centered, put on a rubi suspension and 33 inch tires. Etc.

Finally got to the point where i knew i needed a rubi so i got that too.

but I’m using the same approach. I’m building gradually and i appreciate every thing i have. And i am getting exactly what i want and no cheap junk.

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
This is my take, and there are many. Drive the Jeep for awhile before deciding on mods. Base your mods on the shortcomings that you discover in the way that you intend to use your Jeep.

Like said above, there are may who order a pile of parts and put them all on at once in their excitement, only to wonder why it doesn't perform as they thought it would. A well regarded trial suspension may suck to the guy who just comutes every day. Soft, squishy 35x13.5 tires may be great on the trail, but horrible on an urban expressway during stop and go traffic. Choose wisely.

There is an active thread right now where a guy dumped a ton of money into a Sport S and was insulted when he went to trade it that the price of the mods weren't taken into account. Be careful, the slope is very slippery.

Yeah not my first Jeep just my first full build. I’ve done small suspension setups but nothing this extensive before. I’m looking forward to tweaking it to get the most out of how I use my Jeep. Most of my upgrades serve some kind of purpose or shortcoming. Andddd a few mods are just because I thought it would be nice to have.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
We have a 2020 JLUR. It is a daily driver as well as a trail rig when I can.

We are adding a modest 2” Rancho Sport lift with Rancho front and rear adjustable track bars and Rancho’s geo correction brackets.

This modest lift will allow us to run up to a 37” tire should we choose. I will probably stick with a tire closer to the 35” range for many reasons.

This will improve approach, break over and departure angles and not be a huge detriment as a daily driver.

I say build it for your use case. If that means keeping it stock, then keep it stock.

Last edited:

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque

So true! I am one of the people who bought a Rubicon for it’s looks more than anything. I never off road the damn thing and therefore am 100% factory stock. Chances are that 90% of Rubicon buyers are like me and those out of this 90% who modify are doing it more for looks than anything else.

Let me know if I said something wrong please.

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
We have a 2020 JLUR. It is a daily driver as well as a trail rig when I can.

We are adding a modest 2” Rancho Sport lift with Rancho front and rear adjustable track bars and Rancho’s geo correction brackets.

This modest list will allow us to run up to a 37” tire should we choose. I will probably stick with a tire closer to the 35” range for many reasons.

This will improve approach, break over and departure angles and not be a huge detriment as a daily driver.

I say build it for your use case. If that means keeping it stock, then keep it stock.
I’m sticking with a 35s as well, probably a KO2, I ordered metalcloaks 3.5 inch lift.
Sponsored