Sponsored

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Just going from the factory 42psi to the recommended 38 made a huge difference on mine.
If you back them down a couple of psi. They usually climb up a few psi when driving. More so in the summer. Also the reverse keeping them at 35 when it starts to get cold, they drop a couple of psi and sometimes set off the low pressure warning. Then you have to air them up to recommend pressure to turn off the light, than back it down to where you want it.
All could be solved by getting the Tazer and changing the threshold for the warning light.
Sponsored

deaHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 K1000 Suburban, !968 Chevelle SS LS9, 2019 X7, 2020 JLURD, 2021 Silverado
Lol - it's good to laugh. Plus, as an engineer (albeit software, not mechanical), I appreciate that there is a puzzle to solve (the steering).

And as I mentioned in my other thread, I now need to get it ready for flat-towing behind my MH. So maybe a new bumper ... and a winch ... and it will sag, so a lift ... which will allow bigger tires ... so perhaps ditch the 20" wheels ... but it's not a Rubicon ... and besides, it's my daily driver ... decisions, decisions, decisions. :)
You got home, your steering is fine.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
It seems pretty consistent that people head over to the 4xe subforum to shit talk it.

Or is it just that people have decided in advance not only that they don't want the 4xe, but also that they have an issue with its existence for reasons unrelated to its performance, price, or any other objective measure?
That's exactly what it is!

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
That's exactly what it is!
Case in point. I come in excited to see another 4xefans video, see that Chris had another thread and...
I think they wanted to call it the 4x4 Kickback, kind of a shot at Ford and US taxpayer but decided 4XE was more green.
Without fail, the burning need to come into the 4xe forum to take shots at something, anything about the 4xe overpowers their tiny minds. Why even respond to that post?

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
It seems pretty consistent that people head over to the 4xe subforum to shit talk it.

• It's way too expensive.
  • It's so much heavier, the extra hp and torque don't do anything because of the extra weight.
  • A jeep isn't about mileage, such a stupid decision.
  • Also it gets worse gas mileage because it's heavy and once you're out of 22 miles of electric then it's just a heavy car on a 2.0turbo, such a stupid choice to buy, EVERYONE drives like 90 miles a day.
  • The batteries are going to burst and leak and also explode because I ford the fjords all day.
  • It has a hump in the back instead of lay flat seats? UNACCEPTABLE.
  • Not everyone can get the tax credit.
  • If you have to do math to justify it, it's clearly a bad decision.
  • If you drive long range it's terrible so the diesel is a better option because it's better for long range
  • If you don't drive long range it's terrible because you're not driving long range so you're not getting a real jeep experience
  • Pseudo political bullshit about the recyclability of batteries and continued reliance on oil is the actual green decision.
  • Pseudo political bullshit about tax credits or charging stations being theft/hoping someone else pays for you.
  • Pseudo political bullshit about common core (not joking this actually happened)
Maybe I'm the ignorant one here. Are there 4xe advocates heading over to the 392 forums and trash talking it because the 4xe is a better deal? Are they doing the same in the other powerplant forums pushing to buy electric?

Or is it just that people have decided in advance not only that they don't want the 4xe, but also that they have an issue with its existence for reasons unrelated to its performance, price, or any other objective measure?
I noticed this as well. I never give much credence in an negative opinion from someone that doesn't actually own or have experience with what they are critiquing.

Sponsored

Jonnie4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Any idea if there will be an option of smaller wheels? The 20" wheels are the only thing stopping ordering a Sahara. I was about to pull the trigger on a Rubicon 4xe, but we don't do rock crawling, mainly forest service roads and gravel. I know the Rubicon has a higher resale, we have a 2018 JLU Rubicon we bought used, but it just seems overkill for our use case. Smaller wheels that we could put larger tires on to air down would be nice.
I went with the Sahara for the same reason and then swapped out the stock 20ā€ wheels and tires for machined Rubiconā€™s (see avitar image at left). Easy to find them on Facebook marketplace since Rubi owners often want new wheels and tires. Great move at low cost given the higher quality stock Rubi tires (the snow rated BFGs). I sold the 20ā€ stock High Altitudes for $250 less but probably could have done better with a little more patience. Just remember to keep the TPMS since there are different systems across different models.

As for the trolls, I have driven other wranglers and there is no comparison to the smooth quiet torque of this well-engineered PHEV. I will never go back. Then throw in cheaper fuel for my daily commute and all the options that I would have had to pay extra for but which come stock on the 4xe (donā€™t remember exactly but worth maybe $7k)? It is an absolute no brainer. I am so happy with and proud of what this team at FCA built, I decided to add a second 4xe badge next to Sahara below the charge port (part #68526270AA).

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe purchase and 1150 mile drive home E742031F-CCD0-43CE-BE89-62F8188621C4

Last edited:

MightyAndrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
As for the trolls, I have driven other wranglers and there is no comparison to the smooth quiet torque of this well-engineered PHEV. I will never go back. Then throw in cheaper fuel for my daily commute and all the options that I would have had pay extra for but which come stock on the 4xe (donā€™t remember exactly but worth maybe $7k)? It is an absolute no brainer. I am so happy with and proud of what this team at FCA built, I decided to add a second 4xe badge next to Sahara below the charge port (part #68526270AA).
Agreed! I will be working from home for the foreseeable future. Even when my company goes back to the office, it'll be on a hybrid capacity...so only 2 or 3 times a week. Even then, my commute would be driving 4 miles to the train station and taking a train into the city. No errand is more than 22 miles round trip. The 4XE was such an absolute no-brainer for me as well, especially with my electricity rates being so good in PA.

It was even more of a no-brainer when I realized that without even factoring in the $7,500 credit, an exact same spec-ed ordinary Sahara was only $1,920 cheaper.

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
I'm the proud owner of a new Unlimited Sahara 4xe, which I picked up on Tuesday in Seattle, and then drove 20 hours home over the next two days. Here are a few thoughts. This is my first Jeep, so definitely a newbie here.

It's comfortable. Even after two very long days, my 56 year old body felt well cuddled by the very comfortable interior.

It's quieter than I thought it would be. My other car is a Tesla, and no, the 4xe is not *that* quiet, but ... the ICE was on the whole way home (of course), and it was hardly noticeable. Yes, plenty of wind noise, but even that was less than I expected.

It's powerful, but ... you know this already. Plenty of fuss-less, confidence-inspiring torque.

The visibility is wonderful -- far better than my Tesla with its oversize headrests blocking the rear window. By comparison, the visibility in all directions from the Jeep's driver's seat is amazingly good.

If I was going 75-80mph on I-5 keeping up with traffic, MPG started out around 20, but by the end of the trip South, 18.5 was reported.

Steering is decidedly un-Tesla. I found that frequent corrective inputs were needed. I know some people have had steering issues. I'm hopeful I'm not one of them. Once I got home, I looked at the amount of wiggle in the steering wheel, and there's basically none. Perhaps one of you will take mine for a test drive sometime and let me know whether its normal or not. The steering box under the hood is black, not silver.

One disappointment was the adaptive cruise control. It worked, for sure. But there was not much finesse to it, perhaps because it doesn't have enough situational awareness yet. For example, when behind a vehicle on the highway, it adjusts speed very well. However, if you then signal left to change lanes, it will speed up a little, then 1/2 way through the lane change, it will somehow "re-notice" the car it was following in the old lane, and think "oh crap, we're getting too close", and decelerate. A moment later, with lane-change complete, it then thinks "oh what was I worried about, there's nothing here", and pick up speed again. With maximum regeneration on, the deceleration and re-acceleration are abrupt. Similarly, if there is a vehicle in the lane into which one is changing, and it is closer than the vehicle we were following in the old lane, it gets worried and decelerates. Although it might sound like that's a good behavior, it would be nice it it recognized when the vehicle in the new lane was pulling away (because it is going faster than the Jeep), and simply let the situation improve without decelerating. My Tesla manages all of this very well, and I was surprised that the Jeep wasn't a bit more capable in its ACC. Still, it's a great feature and I'm glad to have it.

Pushing the max-regen button every start-up is a nuisance. Hopefully Tazer or Jeep will have a fix for that soon.

Overall, I'm really pleased with my purchase, from Phillip Olson of Bud Clary Auto Group in Auburn, WA. That name, along with Rob Trachtman here in Orange County, were two names obtained via other posts in this forum. Around here, prices for on-the-lot 4xe's are very high, and I had heard that these two gentlemen would treat me right with pricing. Both of them did, but Phillip Olson happened to have a unit on his lot that he would sell me for the same discount as an ordered-in unit "if I bought it by tomorrow" (which was the end of last month). The unit he had met my needs, so ... I bought it. He suggested someone to deliver it to me, and the delivery was arranged, but it fell through at the last minute, and I decided to pick it up myself, after a year of COVID shut-in. I'm glad I did. The 1150 mile drive south through WA, OR, and CA was amazing.

Many "Jeep waves" on the way home.

Thank you Jeep, for continuing to improve this amazing adventure machine. Thank you JLWranglerForums contributors for all the information that led me to this purchase. And thanks to Phillip Olson and his team for making this a wonderful purchase experience.

-- Dan

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe purchase and 1150 mile drive home E742031F-CCD0-43CE-BE89-62F8188621C4
DO YOU MIND IF I ASK WHAT YOU PAID? WE JUST BOUGHT THE SAME UNIT BUT IN THE HIGH ALLTITUDE PACKAGED. TRYING TO DETERMINE IF WE DID OK BEINGS THEY DIDNT EVEN WANT TO COME OFF THE STICKER PRICE!! WE WALKED OUT AT $55,800 WITH A STICKER PRICE OF $57,625

OP
OP
dan1000

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
Here's how it worked for me. After reading various threads in the forum about pricing, I came away with a few names of dealerships and salesmen who were known to offer good pricing. I contacted a couple, including one very close to me, and they were both very easy to talk to. However, the largest discounts were reserved for factory orders rather than in-stock vehicles.

Eventually, I contacted Phillip Olson and asked about a particular stock unit (ultimately the one I bought). A few days passed, and on the 29th of April I received a text from Phillip with an offer on the in-stock 4xe, if I closed the deal before the end of April. His pricing to me was roughly MSRP minus 10.5%. I found this to be a great deal, and immediately said yes. The deal concluded largely uneventfully. I was going to have it delivered, but the delivery fell through at the last minute, and I opted to have a couple days of peace and quiet by driving it back myself. I'm very happy with the decision, and Phillip, and the pricing.

I'm certain that a better negotiator than me could have worked the deal some more. But I'm happy with the outcome. My unit did not have the proximity unlock option, which I wanted. But the forum delivered again, with info on how I could add it myself, which I'm in the process of doing. Yesterday, I installed the Maximus-3 Tow Loops for flat towing. It was a 30 minute job that took me 6 hours. But at the end, I get to say "I did it". What's that worth? Apparently quite a lot, since it would have been cheaper and quicker to have someone else do it (I had to buy more tools!).

DO YOU MIND IF I ASK WHAT YOU PAID? WE JUST BOUGHT THE SAME UNIT BUT IN THE HIGH ALLTITUDE PACKAGED. TRYING TO DETERMINE IF WE DID OK BEINGS THEY DIDNT EVEN WANT TO COME OFF THE STICKER PRICE!! WE WALKED OUT AT $55,800 WITH A STICKER PRICE OF $57,625

Sponsored

Yoliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3
Hey y'all, I know people don't buy wranglers for efficiency, but I have some questions...

1. What's the mpg in hybrid mode only, SoC <1%
2. Is the rated range for rubicon or Sahara?
3. Is running EV more expensive in SoCal unless I have free charging?
Here are my various charging rates and full charge cost for the 21 EV miles
Tier 1 - 23 cents, $3.41 for a full charge
Tier 2 - 30 cents, $4.40 for a full charge
Work - 19 cents, $2.81 for a full charge
Off Peak - 17 cents, $2.52 for a full charge
closest costco gas is $3.70/gal

It seems like the benefit for me would be the vehicle price, power, smoothness, but not efficiency.

Edit: editing full charge numbers because <1% to full charge is 14.8kWh according to another post in this forum.

Last edited:

Hayabusa4448

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I went with the Sahara for the same reason and then swapped out the stock 20ā€ wheels and tires for machined Rubiconā€™s (see avitar image at left). Easy to find them on Facebook marketplace since Rubi owners often want new wheels and tires. Great move at low cost given the higher quality stock Rubi tires (the snow rated BFGs). I sold the 20ā€ stock High Altitudes for $250 less but probably could have done better with a little more patience. Just remember to keep the TPMS since there are different systems across different models.

As for the trolls, I have driven other wranglers and there is no comparison to the smooth quiet torque of this well-engineered PHEV. I will never go back. Then throw in cheaper fuel for my daily commute and all the options that I would have had to pay extra for but which come stock on the 4xe (donā€™t remember exactly but worth maybe $7k)? It is an absolute no brainer. I am so happy with and proud of what this team at FCA built, I decided to add a second 4xe badge next to Sahara below the charge port (part #68526270AA).

šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ˜‰

tenor_gif7663197753612940945_688652658062924.gif

Slice

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Hey y'all, I know people don't buy wranglers for efficiency, but I have some questions...

Tier 1 - 23 cents, $3.91 for a full charge
Tier 2 - 30 cents, $5.10 for a full charge
Work - 19 cents, $3.23 for a full charge
Off Peak - 17 cents, $2.89 for a full charge
4. Is anybody worried about the battery warranty?

It seems like the benefit for me would be the vehicle price, power, smoothness, but not efficiency.
Other than the tax rebate it looks like you should get the diesel.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon

Tier 1 - 23 cents, $3.91 for a full charge
Tier 2 - 30 cents, $5.10 for a full charge
Work - 19 cents, $3.23 for a full charge
Off Peak - 17 cents, $2.89 for a full charge

Would most of your daily driving be within the EV range or longer-distance commutes? Seems like a lot of people are averaging 25 miles. Gas prices will likely rise, so that overnight charge rate would certainly beat gas prices. But itā€™s really going to be specific to your situation. There are so many factors involved.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
Here's a few quick calculations from today's driving. I finally broke 30 miles on all electric power, 30.4 miles total. If this represents 16 kilowatts of electricity (at 14 cents per kw), it would cost $2.24 for those 30 miles, although I get my juice from rooftop solar. That $2.24 is the same cost as 3/4 of a gallon of gas at $2.99 here in NJ. So, all dollars being equal, those 30 electric miles are equal to 40 mpg based on gas prices (30 miles traveled on 3/4 gallon). The dashboard meter read over 70 mpg-e when the ICE finally licked on. Then running on purely hybrid mode, I averaged 27 mpg for the rest of my trip driving between 35 and 60 mph. Even after the charge read only 1%, I still saw that electricity powered the Jeep about 12% of the time, not driving in max regen. Now keep in mind I drive like Grandpa (I am one) and south Jersey is pretty flat, but those are great numbers.
Sponsored