Sponsored

Changes in 2020 etorque four-cylinder engine to 2021

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Looking at possibly buying a new 2020 JLU and noticed that in 2020 the four-cylinder was offered with an eTorque feature that was removed for 2021?

What exactly is the difference?
Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
The eTorque Mild Hybrid system is something that is supposed to improved fuel economy. I did not want it because of its complexity and the big (EXPENSIVE) 48v battery that comes with it.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
The folks that have it seem to like it and I believe the batteries are covered under the 7 year emissions warranty. After that we’ll see what happens.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The folks that have it seem to like it and I believe the batteries are covered under the 7 year emissions warranty. After that we’ll see what happens.
If they liked it I am surprised Jeep stopped it. Maybe the difference is not enough to justify it in the 4 banger.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Right. That’s my thinking. The difference is small on both the 4cyl and 3.6 with it. I have both. I just think they didn’t want confusion or close competition in highway mileage with the 4xe and removed the eTorque 2.0. I got 26 mpg on the hwy before mods.

The smoother/faster/less annoying start stop and easier jump starting alone makes it worth it.

The battery is $1100 and warrantied for 8 years from new.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Do you have the eTorque on the turbo? If so looking at a 2020 is the reason you would avoid it?

So you mean the start stop is smoother without the eTorque?

Right. That’s my thinking. The difference is small on both the 4cyl and 3.6 with it. I have both. I just think they didn’t want confusion or close competition in highway mileage with the 4xe and removed the eTorque 2.0. I got 26 mpg on the hwy before mods.

The smoother/faster/less annoying start stop and easier jump starting alone makes it worth it.

The battery is $1100 and warrantied for 8 years from new.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the eTorque on the turbo? If so looking at a 2020 is the reason you would avoid it?

Like @SecondTJ said, the Start/Stop is smoother and better WITH eTorque. I've had zero issues with either of my eTorque equipped 2.0's (a 2018 and 2019).

And the eTorque battery is covered by the 8yr/80,000 mile emission warranty.

I've seen a lot of posts by people who don't want the eTorque due to the added complexity and perceived problems. There's been A LOT more electrical issues with non-eTorque electrical systems (usually due to the auxiliary battery, IBS, etc.) than with eTorque.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like @SecondTJ said, the Start/Stop is smoother and better WITH eTorque. I've had zero issues with either of my eTorque equipped 2.0's (a 2018 and 2019).

I've seen a lot of posts by people who don't want the eTorque due to the added complexity and perceived problems. There's been A LOT more electrical issues with non-eTorque electrical systems (usually due to the auxiliary battery, IBS, etc.) than with eTorque.
I believe the E-Torque still has the small aux battery. So it has 3 batteries.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

I was giving my opinion based on my experience with a 2021 3.6 eTorque Rubicon and a ‘19 2.0 eTorque Sahara. The start stop is smoother/faster on these vs the start stop(aka ESS) in my same engine 2.0 in my 18 Alfa Romeo where start stop was very annoying…and sometimes dangerous if you were trying to jump into the flow of traffic and didn’t axing for the slow and abrupt start up causing a delay.

eTorque>ESS …in my experience.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

And more difficult to get it to jump start.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If they liked it I am surprised Jeep stopped it. Maybe the difference is not enough to justify it in the 4 banger.
FCA totally bungled the marketing of eTorque. To this day there’s lots of confusion and misunderstanding as to what eTorque is or does. And don’t waste your time asking a Jeep dealer; they haven’t got a clue either.

That’s a far cry with all the time, money and effort Ford put behind marketing EcoBoost. Love it hate it, everyone has a pretty good idea what EcoBoost means.

The reason FCA pulled the 4-cyl eTorque motor is because those JLs sat unsold on dealer lots. Consumers weren’t willing to pay $1,000 extra for something they didn’t understand what it was. The 2.0T has been a lot more successful because everyone knows what a turbo motor is.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I have a 2018 Rubi with the 2.0T eTorque (16,000 miles) and I love it. I originally only wanted the 6, but didn't have a choice when it came down to it. As others have said the Start/Stop is almost seamless. I didn't get the hate for the Start/Stop until I got a 2020 6cyl Grand Cherokee as a rental and saw how much different it was from mine. Plus I have the 2inch lift and 35's and still get 18-19 mpg city.
Sponsored

Last edited: