First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
Hello, I have recently begun modding my Jeep and the further I get into it the more I appreciate my Jeep in its stock form. I’ve added a new bumper and winch and it has made the steering feel heavy and my Jeep feel noticeable slower during acceleration. I’ve ordered a lift and already and am now debating on sending it back, and returning the Jeep to its original state. Have you experienced similar thoughts? I bought my Jeep so I could customize it but the more I drive it the more I like it the way it is.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I bought my Jeep so I could customize it but the more I drive it the more I like it the way it is.
Leave the Jeep stock then. Doing something that changes the way you currently enjoy the vehicle, just for the sake of modding, doesn't make sense if it will make you unhappy.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I have owned nine Wranglers over the years: every time I went from my old Wrangler to a new one I couldn't believe how much better the new Wrangler drove; even one from the same generation.

Modding is a slippery slope: we add this and that, totally absorbed in the excitement, without realizing --often in denial-- that the Jeep is gradually turning into a lumbering tractor.

This is why I have become reticent to mod indiscriminately. I've learn to appreciate my Wranglers in stock form for at least a year before doing any major mods. Even then, now I go about it very deliberately. Things like wheel weight, tire width, tire weight, wheel spacers, etc., they all matter and add up.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I have recently begun modding my Jeep and the further I get into it the more I appreciate my Jeep in its stock form. I’ve added a new bumper and winch and it has made the steering feel heavy and my Jeep feel noticeable slower during acceleration. I’ve ordered a lift and already and am now debating on sending it back, and returning the Jeep to its original state. Have you experienced similar thoughts? I bought my Jeep so I could customize it but the more I drive it the more I like it the way it is.
My Rubicon came with the plastic bumpers and I installed the Mopar steel bumper (front only) because most of my off-roading is done with a couple passengers but no other Jeeps. So I wanted a winch for some piece-of-mind. One of the first things I immediately noticed was the added weight on the front and how it impacted the acceleration (no noticeable change in the steering, though). After a week or two, I barely even noticed the difference any more.

That said, realizing just how noticeable it was right out of the gate definitely gave me pause when considering a lift and/or 35" tires. I like the Rubicon's stock ride quality and don't want to lose it. So, I'm holding off on those upgrades until I meet some folks with a comparable rig but with lifts and larger tires who will hopefully let me test drive theirs to compare.

It's your Jeep. Enjoy it in the way that makes you happy.

Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
My Jeep is a JLU Sport S. Among the first mods I did were larger tires. Then I installed a steel front bumper. Then I put on a Rubicon takeoff suspension from a Jeep with the steel bumper package and HD towing package. That really helped with the overall feel and balance again. Now I just need to get the regear done and I'll be back in business performance wise. But like others said, don't continue to mod if you liked it stock. However, the more expensive suspension systems often feel much better than stock.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I usually think vehicles look best unmodified. I also consider Jeeps and old restomod muscle cars to be the exceptions, but Jeeps also have the finest line between that and going overboard. Mine is pretty modified, but I tried to use Mopar parts as much as possible (lift, front bumper, beadlock wheels, tailgate reinforcement, etc.).

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
My Jeep is a JLU Sport S. Among the first mods I did were larger tires. Then I installed a steel front bumper. Then I put on a Rubicon takeoff suspension from a Jeep with the steel bumper package and HD towing package. That really helped with the overall feel and balance again. Now I just need to get the regear done and I'll be back in business performance wise. But like others said, don't continue to mod if you liked it stock. However, the more expensive suspension systems often feel much better than stock.

Thanks for the input. I did order a decent lift, I think I’m going to proceed with caution but keep going. Focus on keeping the weight down and the fun factor up

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a Sahara, and added Rubicon takeoff suspension, wheels, tires, and a new Mopar front bumper. I certainly noticed a difference from a rolling skate feel to something more beefy. However, it actually felt better to me and more planted, albeit slightly slower.

I then added side armor and a metal rear bumper, and I'd say I am done. It does feel a little heavier again, teetering on too heavy. I'm still happy with it, but I am not going to go with bigger tires, ever. I think I'll lose too much, and have to regear at that point anyway. My modding ways are done at this point, and I'm happy with the outcome anyway. It'll handle any trail I actually want to do.

Jeep Wrangler JL New parts changing my mind 20210506_202424

Jeep Wrangler JL New parts changing my mind 20210421_130313

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
Your Jeep looks great

I bought a Sahara, and added Rubicon takeoff suspension, wheels, tires, and a new Mopar front bumper. I certainly noticed a difference from a rolling skate feel to something more beefy. However, it actually felt better to me and more planted, albeit slightly slower.

I then added side armor and a metal rear bumper, and I'd say I am done. It does feel a little heavier again, teetering on too heavy. I'm still happy with it, but I am not going to go with bigger tires, ever. I think I'll lose too much, and have to regear at that point anyway. My modding ways are done at this point, and I'm happy with the outcome anyway. It'll handle any trail I actually want to do.

I usually think vehicles look best unmodified. I also consider Jeeps and old restomod muscle cars to be the exceptions, but Jeeps also have the finest line between that and going overboard. Mine is pretty modified, but I tried to use Mopar parts as much as possible (lift, front bumper, beadlock wheels, tailgate reinforcement, etc.).

Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Mine came with the plastic bumpers and I wanted to replace them with something I could mount a winch on and also flat tow, but wanted to keep the weight down. The front aluminum mid width bumper from RockHard plus a 10k Warn winch didn't change my front height at all, and no difference in handling. I've added some skid plates and ordered an aluminum rear bumper from RH, but am proceeding with caution on any other mods so I don't mess up handling or flat towing.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Your Jeep looks great
Thanks Jay. I wanted to stay as stock as possible, but when going aftermarket choose stuff that complemented OEM. I really like where it all landed.

The Rubicon suspension was 61/62 springs front with a 1/2 inch spacer lift, and 91/92 springs in back. I added the LED and tow package after buying it as well. Will likely add the passive entry too.

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
Mine came with the plastic bumpers and I wanted to replace them with something I could mount a winch on and also flat tow, but wanted to keep the weight down. The front aluminum mid width bumper from RockHard plus a 10k Warn winch didn't change my front height at all, and no difference in handling. I've added some skid plates and ordered an aluminum rear bumper from RH, but am proceeding with caution on any other mods so I don't mess up handling or flat towing.
I went with aluminum too. Which bumper did you choose for your build? I ended up going with the rival stubby

E183BEB5-0C83-42AA-8C1E-BDD438313577.jpeg

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My goal on my JL build was the have the most capable Jeep that still looked stock from 15 yards away, and performed similarly to stock.

I have 37" tires, but they are the lightest/smallest 37s. I have a 4" lift, but is built using the Mopar springs, shocks and sway bar links, so I can claim "just a 2" Mopar lift" for warrantu concerns.

It has full skids. But they are aluminum and replaced all the factory skids for a negligible weight gain. I have wider wheels but they are factory replicas and of modest offset keeping the tires tucked under the fenders.

I have a winch, but it is mounted deep inside the factory steel bumper for a flush look.

I used leveling spacers on every corner to provide a perfectly F/R and L/R level ride with perfect weight distribution F/R and L/R with my typical load, making it handle like a dream.

Point is, if you plan your mods, you cam make the vehicle perform and handle like you want it.

I doubt many people will think my build is ideal, but it is ideal for me while the vehicle is under factory warranty and due to the fact that I like "stealth capabilities".

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Which engine and transmission do you have? Consider a tune to offset the performance lost. Also, you may not have lost as much as you think. It could just "feel different". After the suspension and tires it will definitely feel different. And it will be a little slower, but again a tuner and tune like superchips could bring that right back. I put one of their tunes on mine and it's great. I drove a tuned rubicon with 35" and 20" rims and it was peppier than the stock jeeps I was test driving when I was looking to buy mine. It's one of the reasons I bought the tuner.
Sponsored