Using aux switch to turn off 7-pin aux?

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My camper runs the fridge off DC which means it's drawing from my Jeep even when the Jeep is turned off, it's constantly charging my camper battery. This could be very bad and result in my battery going dead if left hooked up. I used my tester and it had power with the Jeep turned off.

Is there any way to use one of my aux switches to TURN off the 12v AUX when the vehicle is turned off?

We plan on doing a 19 hour driving trip and I'd like to avoid a dead battery.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
My camper runs the fridge off DC which means it's drawing from my Jeep even when the Jeep is turned off, it's constantly charging my camper battery. This could be very bad and result in my battery going dead if left hooked up. I used my tester and it had power with the Jeep turned off.

Is there any way to use one of my aux switches to TURN off the 12v AUX when the vehicle is turned off?

You can easily do this with a standard 12vdc relay where the load is the 7-pin's AUX out and the control is the 12vdc side of the relay coil.

OR

Wire one of the AUX switches directly to the 7-pin AUX and then it will only ever run off of the AUX.

If this is more of a permanent modification, I would do option B.

If there ever was an issue with the AUX switch assembly, you'd be stuck with re-wiring. If you used the relay, you could put the Jeep back to stock quicker.

Either way, it could be done easily.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel

Talk with E-Trailers they sell a relay like device that goes on your 12v feed and you use a fuse tap to an ignition line and this way your camper only gets power when you have the ignition on. I had one on my JK and will get one for my JL, I just haven't ordered it yet.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Why not just unplug the 7 pin trailer connector while parked overnight or extended periods?

Sponsored

CouchPotato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had a similar problem so I added a separate charging cable for our camper using Anderson plugs and 8-gauge wire running off Aux-1. Our camper can draw over 30 amps when charging so the little wire in the 7-pin wasn't cutting it anyway. I also had to run 8-gauge on the trailer side up to the battery charger to get the most out of it.

There's a write-up on something similar here, although the 175amp plug they use is overkill. https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/rv-electrical-upgrade-part-3-dc-charger-truck-12v-socket

Jeep Wrangler JL Using aux switch to turn off 7-pin aux? DSC_0915.JPG

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That's a great idea! Thank you!

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Or just install a 15 amp diode on the charge wire going to the toad, your Jeep. It will allow the Jeep battery to be charged when the MH is running and prevent backfeed from your Jeep battery to the MH once the MH is shut down.
Sponsored