Sponsored

6-speed feels strange in third gear, would this be a bad throw out bearing?

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
At around 1500 RPM's especially in 3rd gear my JL feels kind of bouncy. Not really sure how else to explain it other than bouncy or as if the drive-train was connected through a spring. I don't know if its my discription or just a really uncommon problem but no one on any of the forums has been able to give any suggestions besides "just downshift". My 3/36 warranty runs out in a few months and I plan on taking it in and having them go over everything but I'm sure with this they will probably say there is nothing wrong. Does this sound like a bad throw-out-bearing? It does almost feel like there is some slipping but there is no change in rpms.
Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I definitely do not have that problem with my 6-speed. Total shot in the dark, but I wonder if you have a bad motor mount.....

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I definitely do not have that problem with my 6-speed. Total shot in the dark, but I wonder if you have a bad motor mount.....
I haven't really considered anything like that but it definetly feels more drive train related. It's almost like I lose and gain power rapidly.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
At around 1500 RPM's especially in 3rd gear my JL feels kind of bouncy. Not really sure how else to explain it other than bouncy or as if the drive-train was connected through a spring. I don't know if its my discription or just a really uncommon problem but no one on any of the forums has been able to give any suggestions besides "just downshift". My 3/36 warranty runs out in a few months and I plan on taking it in and having them go over everything but I'm sure with this they will probably say there is nothing wrong. Does this sound like a bad throw-out-bearing? It does almost feel like there is some slipping but there is no change in rpms.
I know you donā€™t want to hear ā€œjust downshift,ā€ but at 1500 youā€™re probably lugging. Is this a new problem, or a day-one problem? Does the bounce go away when you downshift? Have you had a spouse/friend drive to get their opinion?

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
What he said. Sounds like itā€™s lugging. My auto 2.0t does it as well. Something I just noticed as on FT Leavenworth the speed limit is mostly 20mph and to my surprise the transmission will lock the torque converter at that speed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know you donā€™t want to hear ā€œjust downshift,ā€ but at 1500 youā€™re probably lugging. Is this a new problem, or a day-one problem? Does the bounce go away when you downshift? Have you had a spouse/friend drive to get their opinion?
It's always had the issue, I just downshifted before to avoid it but the probelm is still there and I don't want to be out of warranty and out of luck down the road. I don't notice it once down sifted but its a pretty big jump in rpms. I really don't notice it in any other gears at 1500 rpms either it seems like its only 3rd gear. With the issues the 6-speed has had, my main concern is that this may be a sign that something big will happen down the road. I've heard of a few of these transmissions exploding and causing engine damage.

This is my 6th manual transmission equipped vehicle and 10th within my household and I've never really felt anything like this. There's not chatter or knocking when it happens like there would be in some of my other vehicles when they would lug. The engine sounds normal and runs smooth other than feeling as if it momentarly lost power.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's always had the issue, I just downshifted before to avoid it but the probelm is still there and I don't want to be out of warranty and out of luck down the road. I don't notice it once down sifted but its a pretty big jump in rpms. I really don't notice it in any other gears at 1500 rpms either it seems like its only 3rd gear. With the issues the 6-speed has had, my main concern is that this may be a sign that something big will happen down the road. I've heard of a few of these transmissions exploding and causing engine damage.

This is my 6th manual transmission equipped vehicle and 10th within my household and I've never really felt anything like this. There's not chatter or knocking when it happens like there would be in some of my other vehicles when they would lug. The engine sounds normal and runs smooth other than feeling as if it momentarly lost power.
Certainly no harm in bringing it in for peace of mind, but sounds like youā€™re lugging it, to me.

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Certainly no harm in bringing it in for peace of mind, but sounds like youā€™re lugging it, to me.
I think I ruled that out tonight, when it started I up shifted to 4th and the bumpyness went away but it then started lugging. Felt completely different.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I ruled that out tonight, when it started I up shifted to 4th and the bumpyness went away but it then started lugging. Felt completely different.
Make the tech drive with you and show him. You know theyā€™re otherwise going to say itā€™s normal.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
4th gear has a different ratio. Lugging will always feel different depending on the gear.

Does it happen in 3rd gear with the transfer case in 4-low?

Sponsored

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
It's hard to rule out play in the drivetrain being the culprit here but I see this with my 6 speed every so often.

I have no real data to back this but I've always attributed it to the electronic throttle control, or engine timing doing goofy stuff as engine load changes. For me, third is often where I see load decrease as the jeep reaches around town cruising speed (around 35-40mph). Just seems like goofy oscillations and hiccups love to happen in that rpm/speed range.

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's hard to rule out play in the drivetrain being the culprit here but I see this with my 6 speed every so often.

I have no real data to back this but I've always attributed it to the electronic throttle control, or engine timing doing goofy stuff as engine load changes. For me, third is often where I see load decrease as the jeep reaches around town cruising speed (around 35-40mph). Just seems like goofy oscillations and hiccups love to happen in that rpm/speed range.
The electronic throttle control seems more like what I'm feeling. Ive had/driven a lot of manual transmission equipped vehicles and this feels nothing like lugging in any of them. Not saying that's a bad suggestion but I've had 2 4cyl vehicles with larger tires that lugged all the time. When my Jeep does this it still has power, if I give it more gas it goes faster and will stop the pulsating.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Any chance you can take a short vid showing the issue?

Also what axle ratio do you have? In my JLUR I can bring it down to 1500 rpm in 3rd and pull cleanly as long as there is tension on the drivetrain, otherwise I get a little drivetrain lash which kinda describes what your experiencing.

Once above 1,800rpm the torque starts to fill in

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any chance you can take a short vid showing the issue?

Also what axle ratio do you have? In my JLUR I can bring it down to 1500 rpm in 3rd and pull cleanly as long as there is tension on the drivetrain, otherwise I get a little drivetrain lash which kinda describes what your experiencing.

Once above 1,800rpm the torque starts to fill in
I'm not sure there would be any way show it on a video. There is no change in sound, it just feels like I'm pulsating the gas pedal. It kind of give the feeling It's going to stall but it's not.

In high school my friend had a 5seed Nissan sentra that he was learning to drive and it never seemed to stall. When he screwed a shift u it would kind of buck back and forth but didnt stall. My wrangler isnt as violent but it feels similar to that.
Sponsored