Sponsored

Thinking of cancelling my order (after a phone call from the dealer)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That's weird, because 6 months ago I could of sworn there wasn't an option because that was a big determining factor. Hmmm.
Manual transmission Tacomas are rare, but they are available. Especially if you are willing to place a factory order.
Sponsored

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
So this is why I was confused when trying to order a manual 6 months ago. Now I realize the powertrain changes depending on bed length and cabs.

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.59.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.59.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.59.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.59.27 PM.png

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
30 % up, which is huge. And from the little chat I had with the dealer, I can't expect a miracle for a Tacoma or a 4Runner either. It'll come down to when I can get it vs how much will I pay for it. Because even with the Trail trim, it's much more money than the Sport S. It's not that I can't pay for it: it's the fact I don't want to put too much money on a car.
The TRD Off-Road package gets you the rear locker, the Bilstein shocks, crawl control, and a few other goodies. It sits between a Willys and a Rubicon in terms of off-road stuff.

A well-equipped Tacoma TRD Off-Road costs US$10,000 less than a comparably equipped Wrangler or Gladiator. This year Toyota has added a 2-inch lift as either a factory or dealer installed option.

The TRD Pro gets you basically the same hardware with more bling.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Tacoma’s are great trucks, very reliable. I just feel that the platform is a bit dated. My 18 Colorado ZR2 is a very nice truck, I researched both when I ordered it and I’m very happy with it. Great drive train, interior, fit and finish, etc.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, my brother's GMC Canyon drives and rides like a car. The GM interior is also more spacious than the Tacoma's, although it is showing its age.

Tacoma generally gets better reviews on the trail, though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
That's weird, because 6 months ago I could of sworn there wasn't an option because that was a big determining factor. Hmmm.
Did they bring the option back? I remember Mini had their 6MT option suspended for a year or two because of a small issue. Now it's back. Same for Toyota?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The TRD Off-Road package gets you the rear locker, the Bilstein shocks, crawl control, and a few other goodies. It sits between a Willys and a Rubicon in terms of off-road stuff.

A well-equipped Tacoma TRD Off-Road costs US$10,000 less than a comparably equipped Wrangler or Gladiator. This year Toyota has added a 2-inch lift as either a factory or dealer installed option.

I am pretty positive a willys with its sway bar disconnected is more capable than any taco on rocks.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT

Yeah, I don't want that TRD Pro mess. It's too much bling for my liking and I heard mods are quite complicated with that trim.

TRD Off-Road with that new lift would be my go-to. With a 6MT, of course. See, already, just with these two boxes checked, i'm not sure I could have the truck before the Sport S.

Plus, if I pick a truck...should I just grab a Gladiator instead? Better fuel economy, still a Jeep.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I'm with the guys who say go to a dealer lot, find something close, and buy it. Go camping this weekend with it. By Sunday you will not even care you didn't get the exact made to order one. In reality, aside from the "big" features the trim levels have (locker/xfer case/4:1 etc on rubicon) the other ones can be added later or modded. Buy close, go jeeping, be happy.

Waiting to January....meh

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Did they bring the option back? I remember Mini had their 6MT option suspended for a year or two because of a small issue. Now it's back. Same for Toyota?
I posted pics earlier in this thread. But apparently in the US, the 6ft bed with access cab does not come in manual. You have to order the 5ft bed to get manual.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I posted this in another thread; meant to post it here:

Here in the US Toyota Tacoma offers amazing value. A Double Cab TRD Off-road, with rear locker, Bilstein shocks, crawl control, etc., retails for $10,000 below a comparably equipped Wrangler or Gladiator.

The cabin is a bit small, but the trucks are very well put together and resale is as good as Wrangler’s. Tacomas ride and handle better on-road than Jeeps, but finding a comfortable driving position can be difficult for many —myself included. One key drawback of Tacoma is that customization is not nearly as easy as what we are used to. On the other hand, Toyota just started offering a factory installed 2-inch lift!

If I were to do a Tacoma , I would skip the automatic and get the 6-speed manual. That 6-speed automatic has got to be one of the worst driving drivetrains of all time.
I just opened my rear cargo door to let my dogs out and seen this big tag made in USA.
Besides my wife likes a hard top!

20210514_200935.jpg

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Here in the US Toyota Tacoma offers amazing value. A Double Cab TRD Off-road, with rear locker, Bilstein shocks, crawl control, etc., retails for $10,000 below a comparably equipped Wrangler or Gladiator.
Since until yesterday I had a 2020 JLUR and a 2021 Taco TRD Offroad in my driveway, I thought I could add some color. I leased the Taco because I got a killer deal, and I just sold my Jeep and Ram because Vroom paid me more for them than they were worth by any reasonable measure. I've been working from home for a year so no big deal, I can wait another year and replenish the driveway when things are back to normal.

The Taco is the most boring vehicle I have ever owned. I haven't taken it offroad, although I don't doubt it will do just fine there. My real complaint is that there is nothing whatsoever enjoyable about it on road. And as you pointed out above, the engine seems fine, and the automatic transmission seem fine, but the two of them together are just a miserable combination. I'm getting used to it.

That said, I put 1000 miles on the Taco in the same 2 months that it took me to put 300 miles on the wrangler, because if the drive was more than 15 minutes the Taco was far more comfortable and better mannered. But when people ask me how I like it, I tell them I don't - it feels like a really nice truck from 2006, and unquestionably will get me where I want to go, but I may as well be driving a ten year old Camry.

Don't get me wrong - there is nothing "wrong" with it (except the terrible transmission/engine pairing) but there is nothing particularly right with it either, aside from what I assume will be predictably boring reliability and an insane resale value that let me lease a $40k truck for less than $300 a month.

I'm waiting to order a 2022 392 which will be my fun ride, and then will probably look at a 2023 full size truck to put next to it again.

I don't actually regret the Taco, but boy is it dull.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Since until yesterday I had a 2020 JLUR and a 2021 Taco TRD Offroad in my driveway, I thought I could add some color. I leased the Taco because I got a killer deal, and I just sold my Jeep and Ram because Vroom paid me more for them than they were worth by any reasonable measure. I've been working from home for a year so no big deal, I can wait another year and replenish the driveway when things are back to normal.

The Taco is the most boring vehicle I have ever owned. I haven't taken it offroad, but I don't doubt it will do just fine there. However, there is nothing fun about it on road whatsoever. And as you pointed out, the engine seems fine, and the automatic transmission seem fine, but the two of them together just suck.

That said, I put 1000 miles on the Taco in the same time that it took me to put 300 miles on the wrangler, because if the drive was more than 15 minutes the Taco was far more comfortable and better mannered. But when people ask me how I like it, I tell them I don't - it feels like a really nice truck from 2006, and unquestionably will get me where I want to go, but I may as well be driving a ten year old Camry.

Don't get me wrong - there is nothing "wrong" with it (except the terrible transmission/engine pairing) but there is nothing particularly right with it either, aside from what I assume will be predictably boring reliability and an insane resale value that let me lease a $40k truck for less than $300 a month.

I'm waiting to order a 2022 392 which will be my fun ride, and then will probably look at a 2023 full size truck to put next to it again.

I don't regret the Taco, but boy is it dull.
Did you have a go with the 6MT? Maybe funnier, I don't know. Right now in Quebec, it's not even possible to have a testdrive with the 4Runner or the Tacoma.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Did you have a go with the 6MT? Maybe funnier, I don't know. Right now in Quebec, it's not even possible to have a testdrive with the 4Runner or the Tacoma.
I didn’t - they’re pretty rare here as well, and I went with the taco because I needed a cheap truck for trips to home depot, and the used market was absolutely bonkers, even 3 months ago. It has been so long since I owned a bad auto transmission that frankly it didn’t occur to me that such a popular vehicle would have a major Achilles heel in the powertrain.

I did a test drive in moderate traffic and didn’t think much of it but by the first hundred miles I realized just how iffy it was. (and by all accounts, my 2021 has had some major ECU changes since the 2018-2020s which people say were ever worse)

On the flip side, I’m happy to tell everyone the JL automatic is excellent, although honestly I thought the JL manual was lousy.
Sponsored

Last edited: