Sponsored

The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
This checks the boxes for what I was looking for. Just doesn’t look like you can mount lights. Anyone have this that has?
I don't have the bumper, but mounting what type of lights? Pod lights? Light bar?

If you're talk pod lights you have a couple of options. Drill into the bumper itself on the outer corners, have tabs welded to the bull bar or do some sleuthing to track down tube clamp mounts that you can use with a pod light.

If you're talking a light bar, that might be easier to mount as you would just need light bar clamps that attach to the bull bar. The two things you'd need to know here are what kind of clamps you're getting and what length light bar can be accommodated on the bull bar. At a glance of the bumper from the link, it looks like a 10" will easily fit, 20" "might" be possible depending on the mounts you go with (example, Axia Alloys vs Rugged Ridge x mount).
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's been a while since I've poked my head in to take a peek at what's available for rear bumpers.

Have bumper manufacturers stepped up and actually started providing plug and play solutions for the rear license plate and required plate light? Or they still leaving it to us to sort out by hacking up the factory wiring to install it?

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
I don't have the bumper, but mounting what type of lights? Pod lights? Light bar?

If you're talk pod lights you have a couple of options. Drill into the bumper itself on the outer corners, have tabs welded to the bull bar or do some sleuthing to track down tube clamp mounts that you can use with a pod light.

If you're talking a light bar, that might be easier to mount as you would just need light bar clamps that attach to the bull bar. The two things you'd need to know here are what kind of clamps you're getting and what length light bar can be accommodated on the bull bar. At a glance of the bumper from the link, it looks like a 10" will easily fit, 20" "might" be possible depending on the mounts you go with (example, Axia Alloys vs Rugged Ridge x mount).
Was thinking a bar since I may plan pods for the hood corner sides. But your solution for the light bar makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion. Guessing I’d have to source the clamps separate or maybe some light bars come with.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was thinking a bar since I may plan pods for the hood corner sides. But your solution for the light bar makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion. Guessing I’d have to source the clamps separate or maybe some light bars come with.
Correct, I believe the only mounts lighting manufacturers include with their lights are the "feet" that are screwed into the sides and only useful if the mounting to a flat surface. Some lighting manufacturers may sell mounting solutions, I know Baja Designs does, maybe Rigid as well. Then there are the third part solutions like Axia Alloy and other companies.

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
It's been a while since I've poked my head in to take a peek at what's available for rear bumpers.

Have bumper manufacturers stepped up and actually started providing plug and play solutions for the rear license plate and required plate light? Or they still leaving it to us to sort out by hacking up the factory wiring to install it?
I've been looking at front and rear bumpers quite a bit lately. It looks like quite a few rear bumpers have some solution for mounting a plate and have plate illumination of some kind. It's hard to say how many require hacking the original wiring. A lot of them want to relocate the plate to an area above the bumper and below the left rear tail light. Very few keep the stock plate mounting location. I get why they want to move it up (more clearance) but if it's going to get relocated, I'd rather it go to the spare so it doesn't catch on things or leave that sharp bit of metal hanging out to the side. I also want to keep my rear sensors, so that's another feature I have to look out for.

The Rock Hard 4X4 Patriot Series rear bumper has the plate light, keeps the plate low and has sensor holes, but doesn't do it for me in the looks department.

One called Magnum by Raptor Series mounts the plate in a near stock location and has sensor holes. Looks like their plate light is a small LED, so it's hard to say what's required to wire it up. For some reason they relocate the outer sensors really low. I'm not sure that's a good idea.

I'm almost equally stuck on front bumpers. Priorities are low (or reasonable) weight, low winch mount capable, fog lights mounted outboard similar to stock and no bull bar/brush bar/grill guard (I have the front camera). Bonus points for recovery points and dedicated hi-lift points (on the rear too).

If the Rugged Ridge HD Stubby mounted the fog lights more outboard instead of low and close together, I'd have my front bumper already.

The other one that's tempting (with different compromises) is the MP Concepts aluminum copy of the OEM bumper.

Are there any others I should be considering?

Sponsored

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
Another question I had was for bumpers that don’t provide mounts for the fog lights can you repurpose the wiring for other lights you mount? The other bumper I’m consider is the ARB stubby. Has all that I want minus a factory fog light placement

Grand Lake Special

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
retired teacher & building administrator
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased the Paramount 51-8061 for my Jeep. Its full width and has space below for clearance for the front trailer hitch assembly. It will embed the warn evo 8 winch I have and I made a adapter for a 22 inch LED light for the top of the bull bar. I purchased a extra set of fog lights and wiring harness so I can just pull the sport bumper assembly and put up the paramount assembly. I also fabricated covers over the back of the fog lights for mud and water protection. sprayed the inside of the bumper with bed liner as well as the ooutside of the light covers. All will be installed when I go up to the cottage this spring. silver jeep is sample picture.

paramount-automotive-51-0362-front-bumper-with-fog-housing-d-rings-3_0.jpg

bumper 2.JPG

bumper 6.JPG

bumper 3.JPG

bumper 4.JPG

bumper 1.JPG

bumper 5.JPG

paramount 3.jpg

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another question I had was for bumpers that don’t provide mounts for the fog lights can you repurpose the wiring for other lights you mount? The other bumper I’m consider is the ARB stubby. Has all that I want minus a factory fog light placement

You should be able to a pig tail harness that plugs into the factory fog harness and terminates in bare wires, or to the plug type that you need.

The only suggestion and take it for what it's worth, if you're buying a light to use with the factory fogs for use while driving on road, buy something that has a DOT approved beam pattern that has a defined light cutoff. Otherwise you run the risk of being "that guy" that blinds oncoming drivers with their off road light

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

This checks the boxes for what I was looking for. Just doesn’t look like you can mount lights. Anyone have this that has?
you could always get a set of ring clamps to mount lighting too

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
If it is here and I missed it I apologize, but does anyone run Nemesis industries bumpers?

Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Does anyone have much experience with Crawltek? I like the look of both their front and rear bumpers, and they are about 15-25 pounds lighter than the Artec alternatives. Artec is a marquee brand though and I know that I wont have to think twice about their product or service.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
just installed the body armor rear bumper and tire carrier.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20210506_162833[1]

km529

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrngler
So - noob here. Can someone point me to a thread about spare tire mount? I have a 2020 jl with 35” Mickey Thompson’s. It drags on the stock bumper and makes the tailgate difficult to open and close. I want to save weight and not stress the tailgate. I will be replacing the bumper too.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
just installed the lod mid width signature series bumper. it was not bad of an install. but the bolts in the tighter area by the fog lights was a pain in the @$$. up next is the winch. should have that in by next weekend.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20210515_182607[1]

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
So - noob here. Can someone point me to a thread about spare tire mount? I have a 2020 jl with 35” Mickey Thompson’s. It drags on the stock bumper and makes the tailgate difficult to open and close. I want to save weight and not stress the tailgate. I will be replacing the bumper too.
take a look above your post. thats my rear bumper / carrier setup from body armor. the swing arm for the tire is connected to a turn buckle. the base plate is bolted to the tale gate. is a pretty clean and beefy setup. all the weight is on the bumper.

as for you question on the talegate spare tire mount. tera flex makes a nice adjustable mount that can accommodate 37"+ tire. i believe @Headbarcode had one. i think he changed to a different one. he'll chime in and clarify.
Sponsored