Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have another weird issue I don't think has been mentioned. My CarPlay works fine when I have my Apple USB cable plugged into the dash port (above the USB-C port). Works great since I got the Jeep in January- however, when someone else plugs their iPhone into the center console port to simply charge their phone, my iPhone stops communicating with CarPlay. I get a message on the Jeep screen that states another phone is in the mix and asks me if I want to use that phone for connectivity- I always press no (can't remember the exact wording), but the message goes away for a couple of seconds, then reappears. Still all the while my phone being knocked out of the connectivity. This cycle never ends and only when the center console port is disconnected do I get my dash connection back. Any suggestions?
If they never intend to be hooked up to CarPlay and just want to charge you ca
N turn off CaPlay in the phone settings. My son did that.
Sponsored

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
4 fca products and ive not had a single issue with carplay in any of them. Any time i hear of a persistent carplay issue with uconnect, my first thought is almost always user error.
Nice jab at the user. I guess all these people are retards too?

Jeep Wrangler JL CarPlay - did FCA give up? F9E07E7A-D649-4F67-82F2-0D054DD57CC0

Jeep Wrangler JL CarPlay - did FCA give up? 943F4CFB-0B76-45B9-B77D-B001C8B83570
Jeep Wrangler JL CarPlay - did FCA give up? 0470F1F1-ECB8-49E7-B023-8AEC2EB56405

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes. Under the hood it's QNX, (Blackberry.) I think they expected it to be more like an iOS ecosystem with apps and whatnot. When CarPlay and the Android equivalent became useful it kinda killed any reason to keep working on making that ecosystem.

Mine worked most of the time until the update a few months ago, save when it randomly didn't work right. IE no backup camera, or lines missing, or no audio out of one speaker, or it would forget how to CarPlay, etc.... However since the update it's unusable. I have to do a full reboot to get it work at all, and even then it only works for a while before it goes back to rebooting every minute.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
My 2021 is 3 weeks old and CarPlay stutters then freezes while playing music if I plug the phone into the center console port. On the dash port it works fine. There was another thread here that mentioned a possible bad wire connection in the console port, but I don't think anyone ever solved the problem.

Here's the other thread I mentioned: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/apple-carplay-freezing.48043/

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Mine is android, but it went from flawless my first week, to junk. I honestly have nearly given up trying, usually just BT. multiple new cables, clearing android settings and uconnect settings, blah blah.

Sponsored

OP
OP

____nick____

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 2021 is 3 weeks old and CarPlay stutters then freezes while playing music if I plug the phone into the center console port. On the dash port it works fine. There was another thread here that mentioned a possible bad wire connection in the console port, but I don't think anyone ever solved the problem.

Here's the other thread I mentioned: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/apple-carplay-freezing.48043/
This is exactly what mine is doing. @JeepCares where you at?

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
i did have issues a few months ago. switched to a new apple wire and i'm good now. i will say i have had 2 tahoes now with CarPlay and were and are shit. like complete shit to the point i use my gps through the phone audio cause it just never connects. its just bad.

LSUMaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
My 2019 has been finicky from day 2. It works 50% of the time I connect it to center console USB. The rest of the times, I have to turn the car on and off multiple times a day to restart the radio because not only CarPlay wonā€™t work, the whole radio and temp control just freeze. I canā€™t even lower the volume or turn off the AC or anything.
itā€™s been to the dealer for a flash once, nothing changed, and the issue was not new to them, theyā€™ve seen it before.
so for those claiming user error based on their experience, yeah no itā€™s a problem with Uconnect. You might not use your CarPlay as much or something.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
In my 2018, I only use the center console usb port, I only use an Apple cord and I have no issues with CarPlay. Just drove an hour each way to my son's lacrosse game two days ago and used it the whole time... And I used the phones GPS through CarPlay and played music without issue...

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
My 2019 has been finicky from day 2. It works 50% of the time I connect it to center console USB. The rest of the times, I have to turn the car on and off multiple times a day to restart the radio because not only CarPlay wonā€™t work, the whole radio and temp control just freeze. I canā€™t even lower the volume or turn off the AC or anything.
itā€™s been to the dealer for a flash once, nothing changed, and the issue was not new to them, theyā€™ve seen it before.
so for those claiming user error based on their experience, yeah no itā€™s a problem with Uconnect. You might not use your CarPlay as much or something.
Itā€™s definitely a problem, but it isnā€™t affecting most people. I use CarPlay front th console every time i get in my Jeep. Iā€™ve had 2 Jeeps and 2 phones. There are a lot of variables, but it is not just a case where it doesnā€™t work.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello everyone,

We came across this thread and I wanted to assure you that your concerns are heard. Due to a specification from Apple, CarPlay is no longer able to be used from the center console or rear USB ports. This change was made from software application level IR22.5 and is applied to any higher software levels.

For the JL/JT vehicle lines, a modification was made to allow the center console USB port to use CarPlay, beginning midway through the 2020 model year. Some 2020 owners may be able to use the middle console port (2), while others may not. Although we do not have control over this configuration, you are more than welcome to submit feedback on Apple's website.

If you have any questions or concern, please feel free to follow-up privately.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

morph860

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe's (Rubicon X and Grand Cherokee Anniv.)
I've noticed that mine doesn't work if I have an unread notification on the phone when I plug it in. No matter how many times I unplug and try again, it just won't work. It'll charge fine, it just won't show up on CarPlay. Once I unlock the phone and clear whatever the notification is, it works fine. And new notifications while driving don't seem to disrupt it.

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Wrangler JLUR Ocean Blue (MT); ā€˜20 Grand Cherokee White; ā€˜12 Volvo C30 (MT)
Occupation
Analyst
Hello everyone,

We came across this thread and I wanted to assure you that your concerns are heard. Due to a specification from Apple, CarPlay is no longer able to be used from the center console or rear USB ports. This change was made from software application level IR22.5 and is applied to any higher software levels.

For the JL/JT vehicle lines, a modification was made to allow the center console USB port to use CarPlay, beginning midway through the 2020 model year. Some 2020 owners may be able to use the middle console port (2), while others may not. Although we do not have control over this configuration, you are more than welcome to submit feedback on Apple's website.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Thanks for responding and this is great information to have but Iā€™m wondering if it would have reduced user complaints if it was shared in a broader sense with Jeep owners. For example, it would have been helpful for users to receive a popup on the UConnect system if an iPhone was connected in the console port 2 that read:

ā€œA USB device was plugged into the center consoleā€™s port 2 and will not be able to use Apple CarPlay. Please use dash USB port 1 to enable this function. Press ā€˜OK to Allā€™ to remove this message from future uses, or ā€˜OKā€™ to receive it next use.ā€

As a Jan 2020 build, I can confirm that both port 1 on the dash and port 2 in the console support Apple CarPlay for me.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Courtney,

Can I get clarification on this? I have a 2021 and my center console works perfectly. Are you stating that the next time I get an update that will go away?
Sponsored