Can’t decide - 4xe, V6 or V4

Cat Ebeling

First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL Unlimited
My mechanic suggested I look for the Jeep with the Turbo, so after selling my Audi with a 2.0 peppy turbo engine, I found the Jeep I wanted with the 2.0 Turbo. I LOVE IT. It is zippy, and fun to take off from a light, when those supposedly badass trucks try to outrun me. It's fast, quiet and powerful. And it has the hybrid electric feature, so that when idling at a stoplight, it turns off. It's an instant on though when you take your foot off the brake, no lag. And in spite of some of my jack-rabbit starts from intersections and mountain drives, I still get 22.5-23 mpg most of the time. Here's a little something from Car and Driver--"With the turbo four—closely related to the engine in the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio—the Wrangler is even quicker. Despite being slightly down on power compared with the six, it hits 60 in 6.5 seconds. It seems relevant to mention that the four is built in Termoli, Italy, and that Italians hate losing races." https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ler-unlimited-suv-turbo-four-cylinder-hybrid/

I'm super impressed with this new engine.
Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I mean honestly this makes sense. Jeep is rushing it imo. Where I live teslas are very popular, I know many friends and coworkers who own one. They feel very light, flimsy, and we are talking about perhaps the best electric cars. Their "SUV" model is very small and more like a car than an SUV really.

Assuming Tesla holds some of the best tech on electric vehicles, putting a battery in a body on frame brick (wrangler) just doesnt make much sense right now. I know teslas are full electric and have very decent range while the 4xe is some sort of hybrid. It is still a Wrangler tho.

I truly want the 4xe to work out. But it just doesnt seem right. It feels rushed.
Not sure why you feel this way Chrysler/Stellantis has offered the PHEV Pacifica in the US for many years and a plug in Jeep Compass and plug in Jeep Renegade outside the US already. There is nothing amazing going on here, it's pretty standard PHEV stuff.

OP
OP
iwillwillu

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have a 4xe with Sky One Touch and would recommend both. Use the sky top on every single ride this time of year, and driving in electric mode is fast, fun and quiet. And 4xe is actually cheaper if you are getting most of the option packages as long as you qualify for tax rebate. Probably doesn't make sense to get the 4xe is if you do mostly long drives, but I have been able to do most of my miles on electric mode.
Most of the drives in the summer would be camping trips, trips around town, and to visit family in another city. In the other seasons, it will just be errands around town and visiting family.

OP
OP
iwillwillu

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My mechanic suggested I look for the Jeep with the Turbo, so after selling my Audi with a 2.0 peppy turbo engine, I found the Jeep I wanted with the 2.0 Turbo. I LOVE IT. It is zippy, and fun to take off from a light, when those supposedly badass trucks try to outrun me. It's fast, quiet and powerful. And it has the hybrid electric feature, so that when idling at a stoplight, it turns off. It's an instant on though when you take your foot off the brake, no lag. And in spite of some of my jack-rabbit starts from intersections and mountain drives, I still get 22.5-23 mpg most of the time. Here's a little something from Car and Driver--"With the turbo four—closely related to the engine in the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio—the Wrangler is even quicker. Despite being slightly down on power compared with the six, it hits 60 in 6.5 seconds. It seems relevant to mention that the four is built in Termoli, Italy, and that Italians hate losing races." https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ler-unlimited-suv-turbo-four-cylinder-hybrid/

I'm super impressed with this new engine.
That's great to know! Gives me some positive feelings since my last car was a 2016 Renegade and I swore off of V4s.

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
Is that because they realized the transmission with more gears is a better match for the JL? Or is it because they don't want to deal with the clutch issues?

It was a joke but honestly, no, it's because they probably can't DRIVE one.............

Sponsored

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
Very happy with the 2.0. Gas mileage is amazing. Came from a 2019 v6 which I really liked. The v6 did have a better sound to it though.

I feel that I get better fuel economy with the 2.0, and both feel peppy.
No complaints with either.